Author Topic: confused on universe 2 with passive hub  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: confused on universe 2 with passive hub
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 09:11:43 PM »
I need to look at this, but I believe the 4pt passive hub copies pins 1+2 from the input to each of the 4 outputs (1+2).
It drops the incoming pins 3-8 and applies the 12v power that is connected to the screw-down terminals to the 4 outputs -- (pins 3-5/12v and 6-8/ground)

so you can take pixelnet from an EtD with 4 universes -- or powered pixelnet from any of the output ports (powered or non-powered) and it will work great for you.

if you need to use the other universes 2, 3, or 4 -- then use a combiner to separate the 4 universes, and use output #4 from the combiner as input to the 4pt hub (if you needed universe #4)
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 59
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 10:36:48 PM »
Great post. Forgot about combiner. So there are three ways now.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline danj

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 09:37:10 AM »
Can't figure out how to start a new post, so can I kind of hijack this one?  I used "normal" DMX last year with my E682.  This year I will be learning pixelnet as I will be using DLA hubs and an FPD along with micro controllers  Is there a "how to" that I can read that will help me get started with respect to the "ins and outs" of pixelnet?  Thanks very much!

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 10:40:54 AM »
Can't figure out how to start a new post, so can I kind of hijack this one?  I used "normal" DMX last year with my E682.  This year I will be learning pixelnet as I will be using DLA hubs and an FPD along with micro controllers  Is there a "how to" that I can read that will help me get started with respect to the "ins and outs" of pixelnet?  Thanks very much!

I hope that the admins here don't get too upset with me for posting this link...but hey you said you are using DLA so I guess it's OK to link to another site...

http://www.diylightanimation.com/wiki/index.php?title=Image:Introduction_to_SmartStrings.pdf

That file might help you understand how to get started.
Cheers!
Ryan
Ryan

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 139
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 11:16:33 AM »
I hope that the admins here don't get too upset with me for posting this link...but hey you said you are using DLA so I guess it's OK to link to another site...

http://www.diylightanimation.com/wiki/index.php?title=Image:Introduction_to_SmartStrings.pdf

I think I'm safe in saying that no one is going to get upset over this.  We are for open information and discussion.  If it is has to do with blinky and is legal :) then it's probably fair game.  There is no question too technical and no question too 'stupid' to ask, we're all here to help each other.
-
Chris

Offline arw01

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 11:29:14 AM »

And please send an email to jim at sandevices asking for pixelnet to be added to the e682 etc as an output type option   as well. 

:D

Offline danj

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 09:02:38 AM »
Thanks for that info Ryan.  Sorry I wasn't clear---I plant to exclusively use micro controllers this year.  I plan to sell my E682 sometime this year; haven't decided when.  My E682 was fantastic last year (worked like a champ!!!), but I have decided to go to "distributed control" devices instead of one "centralized control" device because I plan to have widely separated elements in my yard and I don't want to deal with null pixels to address the distance issue.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 09:12:25 AM by danj »

Offline arw01

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 11:27:31 PM »
Well it too way too much brain power to confuse myself thorougly from the answers here, but in the end I have the matrix up tonight on a passive hub on universe #2.

I have used a cat 5e Keystone jack with the Green white wire that would be #3 in the cable to the orange white position of the keystone which makes it pin 1 on the cable after the keystone.  And the solid green into the solid orange of the keystone so that it becomes pin 2 on the cable plugged into the keystone.

This being the B wiring scheme on the Keystone.

WAY too much head scratching.  Now I need to wire up a real power supply for it tomorrow as my premium 6amp supply was cycling with alternating white on xlights, so I put my Ray Wu 6 amp on it which won't complain as much and will just melt   :o

Alan