Author Topic: USB Adapter output drivers  (Read 3359 times)

Offline 11Bravo

• Kudos: 0
Re: USB Adapter output drivers
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »
Here are some screen shots.

The Renard output has to be on COM port 4 when USB adapter is connected the desktop PC. when doing test from xlights. But on FPP the Renard output is on USB0

The renard output comes on and hangs to a steady color when in nutcracker mode.
I don't know how this translates when it is saved and then converted to .fseq

When the USB adapter/Xbee is connected to Pi/ FPP it will comes on like it is receiving input from FPP but don't think it is transmitting correctly because the Xbee on the renard controller does not interpret the signal and therefore Renard doesn't send output to led strings.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 12:40:42 PM by 11Bravo »

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 71
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 12:38:15 PM »
I am still looking at setup. One problem may be you have set 512 channels of Renard which is almost double the maximum for 50ms timing @ 57600.
See http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Renard

PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline 11Bravo

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 12:43:30 PM »
I used the 256  a multiple of 8 as Renard channel count too. But that didn't make any difference with how it was set up in FPP
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 12:50:04 PM by 11Bravo »

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 12:44:17 PM »
So was the Renard working in Xlights completely?

Offline 11Bravo

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 12:45:56 PM »
So was the Renard working in Xlights completely?

Only from the TEST mode. Not from nutcracker.

I don't know if this makes a difference or not ,but the vixen profile I used had 216 channels, 1- 216 setup in it.  And started a channel 1.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 05:27:20 PM by 11Bravo »

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 07:42:19 PM »
Can you output correctly with Vixen 2?

Offline 11Bravo

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
Yes, I am only using Renard Dimmer plugin

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 11:34:13 PM »
I don't know if this makes a difference or not ,but the vixen profile I used had 216 channels, 1- 216 setup in it.  And started a channel 1.

This will make a difference.

In xLights, you want to go to the output setup screen and highlight the Renard Output line.  Then click the button with the up-arrow in it until the Renard output moves to the top of the list.  That will put the Renard at the head of the channel list.  While still highlighting the Renard output, click the 'Change' button and change the last channel count to 216.  After you do that, you should see the "xLights/Vixen Mapping" column change to "Channels 1 to 216" for the Renard line.  That will make xLights match your Vixen config of channels 1-216 for Renard.  You should now be able to use the USB dongle in xLights and have the proper Renard channels turn on when you turn on channels 1-216 in the Test screen.    The xLights config doesn't matter for FPP, it only matters if you are using xLights to test or adding Nutcracker effects since you want your output config in xLights to match your output config in Vixen to be able to test any Nutcracker effects in xLights.

In FPP, plug in the USB dongle.  Then, on the Channel Outputs page, modify your Renard Output to have a Start Channel of 1 and a Channel Count of 216.  Save the config and go to the main status page and use the button to 'Stop FPPD' and then 'Start FPPD'.

If you have converted a Vixen sequence to .fseq and uploaded it to FPP already, try playing that sequence file again in FPP.  You should have lights if Vixen had lights.
-
Chris

Offline 11Bravo

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2014, 12:21:52 PM »

This will make a difference.

In xLights, you want to go to the output setup screen and highlight the Renard Output line.  Then click the button with the up-arrow in it until the Renard output moves to the top of the list.  That will put the Renard at the head of the channel list.  While still highlighting the Renard output, click the 'Change' button and change the last channel count to 216.  After you do that, you should see the "xLights/Vixen Mapping" column change to "Channels 1 to 216" for the Renard line.  That will make xLights match your Vixen config of channels 1-216 for Renard.  You should now be able to use the USB dongle in xLights and have the proper Renard channels turn on when you turn on channels 1-216 in the Test screen.    The xLights config doesn't matter for FPP, it only matters if you are using xLights to test or adding Nutcracker effects since you want your output config in xLights to match your output config in Vixen to be able to test any Nutcracker effects in xLights.

In FPP, plug in the USB dongle.  Then, on the Channel Outputs page, modify your Renard Output to have a Start Channel of 1 and a Channel Count of 216.  Save the config and go to the main status page and use the button to 'Stop FPPD' and then 'Start FPPD'.

If you have converted a Vixen sequence to .fseq and uploaded it to FPP already, try playing that sequence file again in FPP.  You should have lights if Vixen had lights.

Referring to the red highlighted text above: Is a bit confusing. I'm pretty sure I'm not doing it right. Because I don't think I know the correct way to do it.

Are your saying to run a show from FPP that I don't have to set up channels in xlights?

But all I have to do is convert a .vix file to .xseq,  then go into nutcracker and set up the effects, and save them into the converted .vix to .xseq file and convert that to .fseq?

Then go into FPP and load the .fseq file,  and go into the output configuration and set up Renard channels 1-216 to start at channel 1, then setup E1.31 output to start at 217?

If I recall correctly, the E682 has to be configured with 510 as last channel used.

Do I use 510 or 512 as last channel in the FPP E1.31 setup?  Because I have found out that 510 doesn't get all the pixels working, or I'm not doing enough channels. I need a total of 2550 channels in E1.31, and I know I have at least that if I use either 510 or 512.  But does seem to work with 512.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:31:03 PM by 11Bravo »

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2014, 12:40:29 PM »
Referring to the red highlighted text above: Is a bit confusing. I'm pretty sure I'm not doing it right. Because I don't think I know the correct way to do it.

Are your saying to run a show from FPP that I don't have to set up channels in xlights?

But all I have to do is convert a .vix file to .xseq,  then go into nutcracker and set up the effects, and save them into the converted .vix to .xseq file and convert that to .fseq?

Then go into FPP and load the .fseq file,  and go into the output configuration and set up Renard channels 1-216 to start at channel 1, then setup E1.31 output to start at 217?

Do I use 510 or 512 as last channel in the E1.31 setup?

If you are using xLights/Nutcracker to add effects, then you will need to setup the necessary number of output channels in xLights in order to create the proper models for Nutcracker to use.  Technically these don't have to be on the correct outputs because the Nutcracker piece of the code works on raw channel numbers but I think that it is less confusing if you configure them correctly and that will also let you test lights from xLights as well as FPP.

Yes, in FPP, you will setup Renard as 1-216 if that is what you have in Vixen.  Then your E1.31 will start at 217.  The number of channels per universe depends on how your equipment is setup and how you have it working in Vixen.  Some hardware uses 510 channel universes but that is not a requirement, FPP allows you to have whatever size you want if your hardware and light setup supports it.

FPP and xLights/Nutcracker both work in the same raw channel numbers, so the channel numbers you see in the far right column in xLights output config should match the channel numbers you enter in FPP's channel output screen.