Author Topic: SSC V1 & V2 upgrade  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Sparky96

• Kudos: 0
SSC V1 & V2 upgrade
« on: October 16, 2014, 08:19:15 PM »
Ok, so without digging up an old thread I have a question about upgrading to V3. I was researching and found a link to Corey872's Warp Drive Mod. His link states that his version of modding the SSC's is the same as DLA's version just a different method. Where I am confused is the thread that talks about 5v to the first node. Am I correct in saying that you are still running 12v pixels, but you are increasing the voltage to 5v on the data leg? I'm a newbie at all this and was told this firmware is where it's at but I needed to upgrade to v3 first.

My v1 SSC's are about halfway built, maybe 75% as I started building and saw something about a problem with a resistor or something and stopped. I haven't started on the v2 stuff yet, so now would be the best time to upgrade. I kinda put all my smart light stuff on hold til everything kinda settled and now I want to start trying to get it going again. It's not something I need to have going for this year's show, but the opportunity has presented itself for me to get back to building kits and these are next up. Thanks for all your help and advice.

DJ

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 56
Re: SSC V1 & V2 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 08:39:48 PM »
Hi Sparky. All my SSCV1 have been converted to SSCv3 style using Corey's mod. follow his instructions and you will be good. You are correct about the voltage and data line. The voltage to pixels is 12v but the data line is 5V. When you modify the SSCv1 to SSCv3 using Corey's mod you need to then leave the programming jumper off always.  Then load the firmware and set them up with utility.

Software Utility
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads;cat=15

Firmware
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?action=downloads;cat=12
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 08:40:09 PM »
Corey's changes and RJ's changes to the physical SSC are the same.

Don't forget to upgrade the firmware (RJ's or David's) before applying power.

Regarding 5v, I have successfully done this:

1) run 12v from the hub to the SSC input using the normal cat5 and 12v power supply on the hub

2) on the SSC output, don't connect the +12v (positive)...  but you still connect the data and ground

3) using a separate 5v power power source, connect the +5v from the adapter to the string, and connect the adapter's ground to the string's ground connection -- you are joining the ground from the 5v source with the ground from the SSC.

Alternatively, you don't need a separate 5v source if you place a buck converter between the SSC and the first pixel.  you insert the buck converter on both the ground and +12v positive wires -- but leave the data wire unaltered. 

be sure to adjust the output voltage on the buck converter using a meter BEFORE connecting the first 5v pixel to prevent damage to that pixel.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Sparky96

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 03:05:18 AM »
Thanks for clarifying that for me. I plan on staying with 12v pixels though.

DJ

Offline Sparky96

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 07:24:52 AM »
Ok, so does it matter which 1 of the thousand or so 1/4 watt 180 ohm resistors I order from mouser. I was just going to pick up a few at the shack, but apparently they don't sell that size and my searching hasn't come across a P/N. I guess I'll put it with another order to save on shipping since I need to place an order anyway.

Thanks