Author Topic: WiFi only works when LAN is connected  (Read 6745 times)

Offline griswold

• Kudos: 0
WiFi only works when LAN is connected
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:44:24 PM »
I had a hard time setting up my wifi but was finally able to get it to work. Not sure what I did up to a point but one of the last things I did was setup a manual connect via FPP web interface. I tried to comment out eth0 in /etc/network/interfaces but that made no connections work. I really don't want to have to run RJ45 to where my pi will be placed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 155
Re: WiFi only works when LAN is connected
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 09:27:42 PM »
What FPP image are you running and what version are you on?  We have made quite a few changes to the network config script and are doing some final testing tonight in hopes that we can finally release FPP v1.0.  The new config script fixes several issues related to wireless and several users who were having issues with the previous config script now have working wireless.
-
Chris

Offline griswold

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 03:47:33 PM »
I believe I installed image FPP-V1.0-Beta1, is there a way to be for sure? I also recall downloading V0.4.0 so I am not positive. The webpage is showing version v0.3.0-512-g2ef587b (stage branch).

I did find that my changes made to the /etc/network/interfaces are overwritten by the interfaces.FPP via /opt/fpp/scripts/functions (called via a startup script).

Thanks,

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 03:56:26 PM »
You shouldn't need to edit the interfaces file but if you do or want to to support a config not supported by FPP then you need to put your changes into /etc/network/interfaces.default and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf.default.  These two files are copied over the other versions at boot to make sure the network is in a sane state in case the user boots without the USB stick installed such as when trying to recover from a botched config.

The stage branch has the latest networking config changes, so it should work without making manual config changes.  Let me know if you have to make a manual change to get networking working with the current code in the stage branch that you are on.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 84
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 03:58:07 PM »
The sure way to find your Version is to look at the "About" page. It is under the Help menu.
Even faster is to click on the Version hyperlink just to the right of the Falcon logo. Goes to the same place.

Offline griswold

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 06:08:20 PM »
I got the FPP version from where you stated JonB256. The about page does confirm I am on v1.0-Beta1 for the OS version. Thanks!

I wasn't able to get the wifi to work without a lot of changes, so many I am not sure what I did to get it to work, however, I do know changes to the interfaces file makes it quit working on wlan0 or both. I haven't figured out how to make it work with just the wlan0. I am guessing something changed to overwrite the interfaces file in a recent version.

I will try to edit the interfaces.default with my changes to see if I can get it to work with some suggestions on the web. One link I found that I am going to try is http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/8851/setting-up-wifi-and-ethernet

Before trying this I will try the default with the eth0 unplugged to see if it works and post my findings.

Thanks,

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 06:27:45 PM »
Please make sure you are up to date with the latest changes first.  You may need to get online with eth0 first to pull in the updates.  We have several bugfixes that should be downloaded when you update.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 84
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 06:37:21 PM »
My WiFi works best as 100% DHCP and the CAT5 not connected. When they are both connected, my firewall gets upset.

EdiMax for wifi, ASUS RT-N66u gigabit router.  Sweet combo.

I just don't feel the need to set up two subnets. I am actually communicating with the FPP through my router, not directly to the FPP.
I also set up the VPN so I can access my FPP from anywhere I have a wireless connection for my smartphone.

Offline griswold

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 08:25:47 PM »
My wifi wasn't working with DHCP. There were many things to check and many were changed. I have a password with spaces in it so I setup a guest wifi and a password with no spaces among other changes. I finally got it working with a static IP set in the router and local config on the pi. I also have an Edimax. I wasn't able to get the wifi to work without the CAT5 cable connected. If I unplugged the cable it would kill/hang the wifi. I can only have the cable or the cable and wifi, not just wifi. I would be curious to see your setup.

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]

I believe the module is 8192cu but here is the entire output from lsmod.
Module                  Size  Used by
rtc_ds1307              7494  0
i2c_dev                 5769  0
snd_soc_tas5713         5573  0
snd_soc_pcm512x         9034  0
snd_soc_wm8804          7932  0
rtc_pcf2127             2587  0
i2c_bcm2708             4943  0
snd_bcm2835            19584  0
sg                     19877  0
snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s     6202  0
regmap_mmio             2818  1 snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
snd_soc_core          127849  4 snd_soc_pcm512x,snd_soc_wm8804,snd_soc_tas5713,snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
snd_compress            8259  1 snd_soc_core
regmap_i2c              1661  4 snd_soc_pcm512x,snd_soc_wm8804,snd_soc_core,snd_soc_tas5713
snd_pcm_dmaengine       5505  1 snd_soc_core
regmap_spi              1913  3 snd_soc_pcm512x,snd_soc_wm8804,snd_soc_core
snd_pcm                83845  3 snd_bcm2835,snd_soc_core,snd_pcm_dmaengine
snd_page_alloc          5132  1 snd_pcm
snd_seq                55484  0
snd_seq_device          6469  1 snd_seq
snd_timer              20998  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
leds_gpio               2079  0
8192cu                550797  0
led_class               4118  1 leds_gpio
snd                    62252  7 snd_bcm2835,snd_soc_core,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_compress
spi_bcm2708             4960  0
evdev                  10661  1
pl2303                  8745  1
usbserial              26580  3 pl2303

If I recall changes were made to /etc/rc.local (this was only changed after wifi worked to attempt to disable eth0 but now FPP has code in there after latest update I assume), /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf, & /etc/network/interfaces. I also had tried to make changes via the FPP web interface at one point.

I haven't yet put my config back to try and get the wifi working again. I figure I'll wait for more feedback. I currently only have eth0/lan/cable working.

Thanks,

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 08:52:21 PM »
I haven't yet put my config back to try and get the wifi working again. I figure I'll wait for more feedback. I currently only have eth0/lan/cable working.

The feedback is download the official FPP v1.0 SD image just released and start with a fresh USB stick and give it a try.  :)

We know the config scripts were broken at one point for a lot of users, that's why it was a beta.  These issues are all resolved now as far as we can tell, the new image has been tested by several people who were previously having problems.

Offline griswold

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 10:22:37 PM »

The feedback is download the official FPP v1.0 SD image just released and start with a fresh USB stick and give it a try.  :)

We know the config scripts were broken at one point for a lot of users, that's why it was a beta.  These issues are all resolved now as far as we can tell, the new image has been tested by several people who were previously having problems.

Excellent, I downloaded the image and will hopefully get it installed tomorrow and will let you know how it goes.

BTW, will upgrades always be new installs?

Thanks!

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 10:26:17 PM »
We plan on major upgrades like v2.0, 3.0, etc. requiring SD images but not minor point releases like a v1.1,  v1.2, etc..  Bugfixes are available within a release and features normally held off until the next release unless it is something we think can't wait until the next release.

Offline griswold

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 08:03:49 AM »
WiFi didn't get an ip after v1 image was installed but just noticed I was supposed to start with a new USB drive.

Offline griswold

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 06:37:44 PM »
I am still unable to get wifi working. Since I used the new image and cleared usb stick I can't get wifi to connect at all. It must have been changes I made that allowed me to have both connected. I don't have a lan connection where my pi needs to be so this is important for me to get fixed.

Thanks,

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 07:42:17 PM »
Download the logs zip using the 'zip' button on the logs tab of the FPP file manager screen and attach it here and one of us can take a look to see if we notice anything out of the ordinary in the logs.