Author Topic: SSCv3 programming issues  (Read 2420 times)

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 12
SSCv3 programming issues
« on: November 28, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
V3 mod done per DIYLA, this is the same as Corey's right?  Flashed Falcon firmware.  No jumper right?  Using current application.  Cabling and all other gear is OK as V4 takes programming but not the V3.  Tried several.  Any thoughts?  THANKS!

Sam

Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 84
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: SSCv3 programming issues
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 09:21:06 AM »
First time programming that V3?  check the box at the bottom that forces a "generic" configuration for "All SSC on hub."
On the first config, when you're setting the start channel, it is ignoring the command (because that itsn't its start channel yet)

Be sure it is the only one connected, though. You don't want to change ALL your SSCs.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 42
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 09:31:10 AM »
+1  All my SSC v3s are working great.  I learned about making sure that only one SSC was connected the hard way.  Had everything on the house network last year and was programming SSCs in my basement workshop not realizing that the signal was also going thru the network and out to everything connected in the yard.  Big OOPs.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 10:20:48 AM »
Have been doing that (good guess tho).  Tried all sorts of variations.  No ssc added causes and an unhandled exception, adding one, different channel #'s.  Does it do the rainbow effect like a V4 when it takes programming?   

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 03:24:32 PM »
Jim, did you do the mod like Corey or RJ? 

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 05:13:42 PM »
Jim, did you do the mod like Corey or RJ?

Used the DLA mod, but I understand that they are essentially the same thing.

Offline corey872

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 16
    • Link to the sale...
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 07:51:23 PM »
If I'm understanding correctly, the firmware programs OK, (and you've verified it so), but it's the channel programming which is the issue?

The SSC mods "should" be the same thing in theory, though differ in execution.  I actually suggested my mod to RJ as a way people could easily (and reversibly, if desired) mod the SSC to use a pin which was actually compatible with 5V data transmission.  That almost got me banned for 'technical talk", but a few days later, RJ suddenly came up with 'his' mod which had people cut traces on the board and run a long 'air wire' for the data transmission.  The trace cutting is a bit tedious, as you need to make 100% sure it's severed, but be absolutely sure not to cut any adjacent traces.  So if you've cut the traces, might confirm it's 100% cut.

Other things to check:

- Input data wire polarity is correct - I've goofed this once or twice
- SSC is getting power (hub fuse is not blown?) - a real pain because there's no way to tell on the DLA hub
- Swap PIC with known working SSC
- Swap ST485 (transceiver chip) with known working SSC

Corey

2017 uSC, Afterburner, uAmp co-op is CLOSED.
uAmp is SOLD OUT for 2017
Remaining boards are now FOR SALE

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 08:36:01 PM »
DLA SSCv3 has test firmware that can verify that the pic is working, and that power is there.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 08:56:44 PM »
Thanks all.  V3 test ware works but no programming. Plan to swap 485 chips tomorrow.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 07:51:55 AM »
Took a functional V3 from an element used last year with DIYLA firmware and tested it completely with xlights.  Flashed it with Falcon ware (checksum 8423) and with several attempts, no dice.   Downloaded the hex again and gave it a few more attempts...  >:(  Immediately hooked up a V4 and successfully programmed (rainbow) on first try...   :'( 

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 11:42:45 AM »
Last night I reconfigured some SSCs to change direction on my porch columns.  Then I tried to reconfigure other SSCs that are used with my pixel tree in order to change color order and I could not get a single one to flash.  removed all the SSCs and reflashed the firmware on them down in my basement workshop, but when I reconnected them to the pixel tree I still could not talk to them or get them to flash.  These are all SSCs with v3 mods and have been working fine, but the color order was off.  They are connected to a passive hub dedicated to the pixel tree.  Tried to configure them using both universe 1 and 2, but no luck.  I am about to work on them in the workshop before I take them back outside.  I never had any issues with falcon SSC stuff last year, but since the new firmware it seems to be a constant struggle.  I'm also having problems with an F8 and an F16, but the F16 does have known hardware issues on some channels.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 09:48:22 AM »
Sorry to read this, but at least I am not alone... 

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 12:48:49 PM »
I re-flashed the SSCs and then reconfigured them.  All is well now.  I think I couldn't talk to them while in the display because I either forget to update those 6 SSCs with the new firmware or I never updated the start channel after I reconfigured the display to get rid of hybrid mode and move some items between universes.   Then I could not find any reference to what the original start channels were.   

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 01:33:36 PM »
Nice...  So it is only me.  Will try a few more things before I take the last hub out in the yard.  Jim, when you add the v123 for the first time do you immediately "program all sscs" with it being channel 1?   

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 06:25:38 PM »
I program it to the address it is supposed to be.