Author Topic: Testing Issues - FPP not sending test data  (Read 631 times)

Offline CrescentLights

• Kudos: 0
Testing Issues - FPP not sending test data
« on: December 10, 2014, 02:37:39 PM »
Hi,

This is my first year with RGB lights and I've got stuck trying to get the lights to shine. I have the main strings connected to the controller and the test pattern on the controller lights them up. But I'm not getting FPP to illuminate the night.

So I'd like to test the strings from FPP, and I'm trying the Display Testing feature, but I'm having no success here. Trying single channels or All Channels don't appear to even try to send anything to the controller. Setting log settings to all+excessive and I see no logs of channel data being sent out. Running tcpdump on eth0 captures no channel data packets out. If I turn on "always transmit channel data" then I see channel data logs - all zeroes, regardless of the display testing settings.

I'm wondering if my browser might be at fault - I see no sliders on the page. And as I write this I fired up wireshark and when I click on the buttons etc on the Display Testing page nothing gets sent to the FPP. This happens for both Firefox 33.1 and IE. I suspect I'm missing something that's needed to let the Display Testing page work, but I've yet to figure out what.

Any pointers would be very appreciated. Thanks.

About my setup:

The controller is in the garage and I don't have wired LAN there, so I plan to upload my sequences to FPP and run from there. So I have the FPP running on a Pi with eth0 connected to the controller I connect to the pi via wifi. (Version: v1.0-71-g6f7bc94) From the pi (ssh login) I can ping the controller fine. I can access the controller web interface by routing through the pi - works fine.

I'm running E1.31 and I have configured (to start) 2 strings of 100 pixels on the channel outputs page:
Act:Y Uni:1 Start:1 Size:300 Unicast 10.10.10.10
Act:Y Uni:2 Start:301 Size:300 Unicast 10.10.10.10

In the controller I specify Universes 1 and 2 each with start 1 and number of pixels=100. This is per the available documentation. It's an ECG-P12S controller.

Offline CrescentLights

• Kudos: 0
Re: Testing Issues - FPP not sending test data
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 09:19:48 PM »
So it was a web issue. Because I access the Pi via wifi, I tunnelled the web session through ssh for greater security. But I only tunnelled HTTP port 80. So I tried without the tunnel, and oh look - sliders appeared on the page. But still no lights. But now I saw the attempts to use the websocket at port 32321, and a quick search for that number told me how it was being used and I updated the iptables configuration to allow that port in, and the lights came on.

That was quite the fine feeling after this time to see the lights come one through software other than the controller's test pattern. Now on to using my own sequences.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
Re: Testing Issues - FPP not sending test data
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 09:22:07 PM »
Glad you found it, I still need to write a decent help page for the test page even though it is temporary until better test functionality can be implemented next year.
-
Chris