Author Topic: ISO: high channel count LSP musical sequence  (Read 12073 times)

Offline nutz4lights

• Kudos: 3
ISO: high channel count LSP musical sequence
« on: January 16, 2015, 05:40:41 PM »
Hey all,

I feel like I have asked this in a few threads on various forusm, but never got any takers, gonna try creating a separate thread to see if I can get someone to help me out.  I am in need of a high channel count (25,000 ++) sequence, using LSP that I can open up and compare sequencing tactics successfully used by others around here (I am posting this in a few places).  Before anybody suggests it, I don't use Facebook, so I can't head over to the LSP FB page...

Can anybody help out?  If so, I can get you an FTP login, or my DropBox link, etc...

I will NOT use this sequence in my display, it is purely for reference purposes, looking for successful techniques used in sequencing high channel count sequences, since I have struggled so mightily with musical sequencing with this channel count...

DPitts, can you help out?

Thanks,

-Louie
-Louie
Videos @ Cape Sable Lights

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 63
Re: ISO: high channel count LSP musical sequence
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 05:43:56 PM »
I have successfully converted 32K channel LSP sequences to FPP using the Light Elf program. So has Frank (creator of Light Elf) and Alan. I had no problems at all. I had over 60 controllers that overlapped in many channel regions.

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,231.0.html
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline nutz4lights

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 06:20:08 PM »
I understand, what I'm asking for is for someone to share a successful high channel sequence so I can inspect the setup of the channels, controllers, etc.  Do you have a sequence you could send to me?  I wouldn't use it, just as a learning tool.  I have been doing my own sequences and music for close to a decade and have found that my musical preferences seem to differ from the rest of the internet when it comes to Christmas music... so you don't have to worry about me actually using the sequence   ;)

-Louie

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 10:02:06 PM »
Look for Mr Christmas on here and email him, I think he's in the 30K range for LSP channels.  He converts them I think to something else to play them as he does not use the scheduler either I believe.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 06:49:20 AM »
I suspect you need to learn more about layers.  I group all controllers in them.  House outline, window frames, arches, mini trees, etc.  Maybe others will agree, but my channel assignments are far from organized.  First year with LSP, designed my layout, channel assignments were very organized, sequenced my heart out, and found that I made mistakes in my calculations of the channel counts and had to redo EVERYTHING.  My current assignments leave some wiggle room for errors.  In the end, as weird as it may be, as long as the controller gets programmed correctly, it all works just fine.

You might have better results trying the opposite.  Post a sequence in drop box and ask others how they would approach it.  Just a thought...
Sam

Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline nutz4lights

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 06:56:38 AM »
I can definitely post a sequence, great idea.  For what it's Wyeth, I have all of my controllers arranged neatly in layers.  I have probably 50-60 layers, combining all sorts of different controllers in different ways to get effects I want.  My understanding is that the layers are only important for sequencing, that the playback is done with the overall channel count and by R, G, B level.  My point in asking to see someone else's successful high channel count sequence mainly pertains to looking at the timing marks & number of effects, but also has to do with layer and controller setup to some extent.

Louie

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 07:30:47 AM »
OK.  That rules that out.  You are correct with your assumption of layers.  50-60 layers makes sense.  I have like a dozen but I am only at 8k channels.  So that's about right. 

I would then say you need to be using different colored timing marks.  With my sequences, I use 3-4 colors typically.  I first start out with a beat track in red.  Switch to green to add accents/other musical parts.  Blue for true effects/wow factor stuff.  Sometimes silver for specific stuff.  At any given time I switch back and forth to see where I am.  I will also use the highlighter to paint certain marks so that sequencing is easier. 

Offline nutz4lights

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 09:53:04 AM »
The big limitation I'm having is that effects don't snap to those timing marks... and then the macro goes and creates it own timing marks.  I would rather have the macro snap to an existing grid personally... since performance is so limited by the number of those timing marks... force the macro to use what is already place... one you place them every 50 msec, that should be good enough.

Louie

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 01:16:42 PM »
The big limitation I'm having is that effects don't snap to those timing marks... and then the macro goes and creates it own timing marks.  I would rather have the macro snap to an existing grid personally... since performance is so limited by the number of those timing marks... force the macro to use what is already place... one you place them every 50 msec, that should be good enough.

Louie

I personally hate the timing mark generation of LSP. After you create macros it is almost impossible to efficiently use the marks to do regular sequencing. I wish the grid was fixed also.

Offline nutz4lights

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 01:24:38 PM »
Ditto

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 02:03:27 PM »
Try this guys:  Do some simple basic sequencing like a beat track and use red timing marks (highlights) or use highlighter and change some already done.  Change back to shared highlights and generate a macro over top.  Now change back to red.  (I think you need active mouse mode on)  Try adding some effects in the area of the macro.  LSP should ignore the macro timing marks. 

Now, I totally agree a macro should be able to snap to the grid.  Like right click and insert macro just like adding effects to the grid...  I end up having to fool around to get them the way I like.  Because of this, I add once I am basically done and I use them sparingly.  I am on 2.5 and I'd say more than half don't generate correctly anyway and I find most of them kinda blah or way too much... 

Offline nutz4lights

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 02:21:06 PM »
2.8 must different because I love the macros... I created custom images that I used a lot in my "whole display at a time" sequencing successfully... image shifter macro.  Just bugs me that they don't snap to existing timing marks.  If course i could fiddle with then to move them around, but it already takes several days to sequence a couple minutes of a song... would triple that to fiddle with the positioning line things up...

Louie

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 02:33:02 PM »
Try this guys:  Do some simple basic sequencing like a beat track and use red timing marks (highlights) or use highlighter and change some already done.  Change back to shared highlights and generate a macro over top.  Now change back to red.  (I think you need active mouse mode on)  Try adding some effects in the area of the macro.  LSP should ignore the macro timing marks. 

Now, I totally agree a macro should be able to snap to the grid.  Like right click and insert macro just like adding effects to the grid...  I end up having to fool around to get them the way I like.  Because of this, I add once I am basically done and I use them sparingly.  I am on 2.5 and I'd say more than half don't generate correctly anyway and I find most of them kinda blah or way too much...

Have used colored timing marks with mixed results. Never really worked the way I would expect and very frustrating. For example if I put done 50ms timing marks and place a few ramps in the first 10 timing marks and copy and paste I would expect all the copying timing marks to line up with 50ms timing marks. But somehow LSP starts creating new timing marks just barely different from the original. I have tried all the different pasting methods too (clipboard timing, existing marks).  So basically LSP is frustrating to use for regular grid based sequencing where I prefer a fixed time line.  I much prefer the way all other sequencers work in this regard.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 03:06:11 PM »
I don't know enough about LSP to be helpful....but I have in that neighbourhood of channels...BUT....I use nutcracker. I know nutcracker can do some conversions to different formats, maybe LSP can import some of those? If so, over on the "Show Assets" forum on Sean's website - http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php?board=20.0 - you'll find a few of my sequences posted up. Not sure it will help, but if it does - they are posted. 

Hey all,

I feel like I have asked this in a few threads on various forusm, but never got any takers, gonna try creating a separate thread to see if I can get someone to help me out.  I am in need of a high channel count (25,000 ++) sequence, using LSP that I can open up and compare sequencing tactics successfully used by others around here (I am posting this in a few places).  Before anybody suggests it, I don't use Facebook, so I can't head over to the LSP FB page...

Can anybody help out?  If so, I can get you an FTP login, or my DropBox link, etc...

I will NOT use this sequence in my display, it is purely for reference purposes, looking for successful techniques used in sequencing high channel count sequences, since I have struggled so mightily with musical sequencing with this channel count...

DPitts, can you help out?

Thanks,

-Louie
Ryan

Offline nutz4lights

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 03:27:36 PM »
I don't know enough about LSP to be helpful....but I have in that neighbourhood of channels...BUT....I use nutcracker. I know nutcracker can do some conversions to different formats, maybe LSP can import some of those? If so, over on the "Show Assets" forum on Sean's website - http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php?board=20.0 - you'll find a few of my sequences posted up. Not sure it will help, but if it does - they are posted. 
I'm definitely interested in others experience with high channels and plan on evaluating Vixen as well as xLights4/NC... I really want this running of the FPP this year so that I can reclaim the i5/16GB RAM/128GB Samsung Pro SSD/2GB video computer that I HAD to use to run the LSP scheduler this year... my older i7/6GB RAM/non-SSD computer just isn't much fun to sequence with...

-Louie