Author Topic: ISO: high channel count LSP musical sequence  (Read 12103 times)

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 12
Re: ISO: high channel count LSP musical sequence
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 07:12:31 AM »
I gotta ask you David, if I didn't know any better XLNC 4.0 will be very similar to LSP?  I also suspect that if the development continues, and I think it will, XLNC may surpass LSP because there is so much momentum/enthusiasm behind it.  Although I think the new LSP update will big, I doubt it will be all that is expected from it. 
Sorry to read about your experience with cut and paste.  I am lucky I guess and it is really stable and I do some crazy stuff with it.  Probably the main reason I did not go to 2.8. 

I am considering learning XLNC when 4.0 is released.  I want to be able to use it on top of LSP and also so I can create some sequences that I can share.  For some reason I just cannot take to it.  I have tried hard several times...  Something tells me I will take to 4.0 though. 
Sam

Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 63
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 12:18:11 PM »
I think where they differ the most is their speed. Lsp takes forever to render. Also Xlights gives immediate feedback of preview. One cost 400.00 one is free. In order to use the power of lsp you also need to create a bunch of videos. For example how do you create a three band spiral with lsp? Then quickly change it to four or change the color. There really is no comparison in ease of use and time.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 12:56:23 PM »
Zwiller; it is our feeling u should use whatever sequencer u want. You spend a tremendous amount of time learning Hls,lor,lsp,vixen,xlights. Every sequencer has its strengths and weaknesses . Pick the one that works for you. I have never used anything except nutcracker the last three years. Xl4 is not trying to be like any other sequencer, it is trying to be like a video editor and nutcracker.

Although xl4 might look similar to other sequences, there is a big difference internally. Dave and I are just leveraging the work of Matt brown. It was Matt who gave us this amazing core engine.

ExAmple: I created a matrix in xlights that was 400x400 pixels. This is a 480,000 channel model. I can create butterfly effects on it and slide sliders and see it change. The generation of the effect is running about 4fps instead of 20fps. If I save this effect and create a Xseq file. That Xseq will play the 480,000 channels back in the preview window at 20fps. 

That kind of performance is directly related to Matt's design. While creating this effect the computer uses less than 200mbytes of ram.

So xl4 is a new body, gull wing doors, sleek aerodynamics. Good news is it is the Same engine.

So enjoy all the new sequencers coming out this year.

Vixen3, LOR,LSP,xlights4. Those have all announced new releases for 2015. I think u might see something from vixen+ or HLS , but I have not seen any announcement.

U almost certainly will see a channel editor interface similar to lor,vixen from xl4 by summer. There are a few more surprises we have planned, we will see.

Enjoy 2015!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases
xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php
Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 06:37:46 AM »
2015: Revenge of the Sequencer

Since you commented Sean, can ask you to expound a bit more about timing marks with 4.0?  It appears that timing marks can be added within XLNC? And/or XLNC will have the ability to import them from other sequencers, maybe even LSP?   

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 63
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 01:23:32 PM »

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 01:52:30 PM »
I think where they differ the most is their speed. Lsp takes forever to render. Also Xlights gives immediate feedback of preview. One cost 400.00 one is free. In order to use the power of lsp you also need to create a bunch of videos. For example how do you create a three band spiral with lsp? Then quickly change it to four or change the color. There really is no comparison in ease of use and time.

Definitely some advantage in speed.

For the 4 line spiral, using the mix of mask on the first macro allow background image and source erase on the second macro with link clicked, you can use two of the line macros and adjust them how you want.  Going into pallet for color and pick whatever you want.

You do have to wait for them to render and preview is not nutcracker, but that is how you would do it simply.

I will try the theory in real life on the "mega tree" for the Seahawks colors tonight, have to render a couple more 30 second macros.

Alan

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 07:21:16 PM »

I will try the theory in real life on the "mega tree" for the Seahawks colors tonight, have to render a couple more 30 second macros.

Alan

That should only take an hour or so!  ;)

Sorry could not resist! ;D

Roger

Offline arw01

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 12:06:31 AM »
Na, I'm faster than that.  preview works fine for figuring out that stuff.  Theory was not correct on the particular mixes to use, I may have to invert it so the background is white, but maybe not source erase would do it.

Offline rdebolt

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 11:31:53 AM »

Na, I'm faster than that.

No, I was not referring to your skills, but LSPs time to render!  :)  Sorry if you felt that I was insulting you!!!!! That was my WEAK attempt at humor!  :'(

Roger

Offline Livermore-Dad

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 02:14:27 PM »

No, I was not referring to your skills, but LSPs time to render!  :)  Sorry if you felt that I was insulting you!!!!! That was my WEAK attempt at humor!  :'(

Roger

Roger, that's better left to the professionals! :)))

Tory
I know some stuff. For example i know I don't know anything.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 03:13:30 PM »
It will be interesting how much speed is gained if they manage to harness the processing power on all cores.  That, along with I think Sean (or correct me if I am wrong) gave the devs some advice about file architecture that should help get the file sizes down and speed things up even further.  I hope that advice was a big step toward developing a relationship that would solidify us getting a NC plugin.

Offline arw01

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2015, 10:02:10 PM »

Roger

Oh i know, but I have thick skin and you aren't going to insult me even if you tried!  Render time on those big counts like louie could be an hour as it really only uses 1 process to do it!

I figure out most of what I want with the pre-view function in there, try not to do too many renders as the take too long if you are just playing!

Offline arw01

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2015, 10:13:41 PM »
It will be interesting how much speed is gained if they manage to harness the processing power on all cores.  That, along with I think Sean (or correct me if I am wrong) gave the devs some advice about file architecture that should help get the file sizes down and speed things up even further.  I hope that advice was a big step toward developing a relationship that would solidify us getting a NC plugin.

There was a little blurb on facebook:

Today we had 146666+ little ellipses (440000+ channels) blinking randomly at a consistent 33Hz rate. These little circles would represent the pixels of your drawing objects.

Does not appear performance will be an issue, no comments on render time.

I know they went to a database to store the files instead of just xml files as all that massive text, as Sean as indicated, takes a long time to render.  And if you wanted something from the middle you had to read it all, update the middle and write it all back out every time.

Obviously with a database you can randomly get at whatever you want pretty much instantly, and think of the ability to select anything in there in any manner you can dream up if it's exposed enough in the sequel commands.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 08:30:08 AM »
After typing, I thought about this.  If the speed barrier is removed, I am sure I will use more macros and get creative with them, but its not like I plan to go nuts with it and use them on everything all the time.  I have mentioned it before but my family and friends are not blown away with huge channel count mega trees/matrices/etc with insane 3d color effects.  I think we appreciate them much more because we understand the complexity but not all of our viewers will.  I am curious if I can change that a bit by integrating it into the music a bit better.  That said, I think the majority of the macros/transitions I will use will be more basic/simple than the outrageous stuff... 

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 09:28:33 AM »
I saw that facebook post.  Good to see lets just hope they didn't use sql express as their backend because every product I've used that did that I wanted to punch babies.  I don't care if MS calls it "express" its still SQL server and its a hog no matter how you skin it.  There is a reason DB servers are hogs and thats what they are only setup to do.....not be a desktop machine doing whatever else the user is doing.