Author Topic: RGBmatrix Setup  (Read 2219 times)

Offline maffeirw

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
RGBmatrix Setup
« on: March 14, 2015, 08:46:41 AM »
While I'm waiting for David to set up an order of Octoscrollers in the store for the BBB I bought yesterday. (Just sayin.  ::) ) I need to test the 12 P10 panels I got in last week.

I hard wired my Pi B+ using the pinout from drlucus's post
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,2302.0.html
and after searching the forums, I've been unable to find any reference to how to set up RGBMatrix on the Pi. So I have a couple of questions: 

1) Which branch should I be using (Master or RGBMatrix)

2) I tried to define RGBmatrix in the ChannelOutputs pulldown for both branches but I get an "Invalid RGBMatrix Config" error. So I have created a /home/pi/media/channeloutputs file, but I can't find any listing of the format needed for the RGBMatrix configuration. Is there any reference like the one for the BBB setup (http://falconchristmas.com/wiki/index.php/Falcon_FPP_BBB) available or, if not, can someone list the format.

3) Once the first two questions have been answered is there anything else I need to know to start testing my panels.

Thanks
Ron
Luceat lux vestra

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
Re: RGBmatrix Setup
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 09:08:20 AM »
You should be ok to use the master branch.  All changes have been merged from the RGBMatrix branch to master and I will delete the temporary branch at some point.

The config format is the same for RGBMatrix and LEDscapeMatrix on the BBB.  I wrote a class which allows us to use the same config format for RGBMatrix as supported by the LEDscape library.  The class also gives us the flexibility of putting panels in any orientation or offset position in the matrix.
-
Chris

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 09:30:33 AM »
While I'm waiting for David to set up an order of Octoscrollers in the store for the BBB I bought yesterday. (Just sayin.  ::) ) I need to test the 12 P10 panels I got in last week.

I hard wired my Pi B+ using the pinout from drlucus's post
http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,2302.0.html
and after searching the forums, I've been unable to find any reference to how to set up RGBMatrix on the Pi. So I have a couple of questions: 

1) Which branch should I be using (Master or RGBMatrix)

2) I tried to define RGBmatrix in the ChannelOutputs pulldown for both branches but I get an "Invalid RGBMatrix Config" error. So I have created a /home/pi/media/channeloutputs file, but I can't find any listing of the format needed for the RGBMatrix configuration. Is there any reference like the one for the BBB setup (http://falconchristmas.com/wiki/index.php/Falcon_FPP_BBB) available or, if not, can someone list the format.

3) Once the first two questions have been answered is there anything else I need to know to start testing my panels.

Thanks
Ron

The syntax for Pi is slightly different. Here's an example:
Here is an example of 4 Panels Stacked Horizontally in a 2x2 configuration, the data enters from the bottom Panel on the left side, when facing it from the front.
1,RGBMatrix,1,6144,panels=0:3:U:0:16|0:2:U:32:16|0:1:N:32:0|0:0:N:0:0

The configuration for BBB always assumes the panel closet to the BBB is panel 7 and the number decreases as you get farther away. as in the example in the Wiki.
The Configuration for Pi says the the panel number closest to the Pi is (# of Panels -1), so in a 4 panel arrangement 3 would be the first panel then 2, then 1, then 0.

This should be correct unless Captain has modified the code to make is exactly the same

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 09:59:55 AM »
Sorry, yeah, I should have mentioned the 7 vs 3 max on the Pi.  I wasn't thinking about that because the newer Pi library code which I have been looking at should support 8 but at a lower refresh rate I believe.

Offline maffeirw

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 10:51:49 AM »
Thanks to you both.  I have a single panel working now and will try the 4 panel configuration later. I guess I should have asked earlier, instead of wasting 3 days trying to figure it out on my own. :)   Lesson learned. 

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 03:26:19 PM »
There is and will be more and more data about the matrix panels on the wiki and here. book mark both and come back often!
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!