Author Topic: Element 14 willing to build "custom" RasPi boards  (Read 3948 times)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 89
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Element 14 willing to build "custom" RasPi boards
« on: October 28, 2015, 06:43:42 AM »
Just saw this - makes me wonder:

http://techcrunch.com/2015/10/28/custom-pi/

If it were economical, what would we want to Add or Remove or Improve on a Falcon RasPi ??

Sound? yes, could be better
Built in Wireless? maybe, especially if you could then run both eth0 and wlan0 on the same stupid subnet!!!

More thoughts?  I don't know how much it would bump up the price, but it could ultimately be cost effective by reducing Add Ons.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 45
Re: Element 14 willing to build "custom" RasPi boards
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 07:13:20 AM »
With a minimum order of 3000 to 5000 boards, I don't think that it would be practical for us but I would bet that the most requested mod would be to remove the USB bottleneck and upgrade the Ethernet port to 1Gig. 

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 12
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 07:43:01 AM »
Wireless would be the big one for me.  Sound sure, although I think my problem is more my transmitter than anything.  With multisysnc GB ethernet would be last for me since I rarely use the eth0

Offline toozie21

• Kudos: 0
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 07:44:16 AM »
Built in wireless wouldn't be important to me as I like to hang my WiFi from a USB extender to get it away from the electronics.  But I like the spitballing discussion, keep them coming :).

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 09:15:15 AM »
Built in Wireless? maybe, especially if you could then run both eth0 and wlan0 on the same stupid subnet!!!

I believe I have a solution for this, but need to test it and then write some scripts.  I have it on my TODO for v2 next year.
-
Chris

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 10:24:02 AM »
I would like to see the Ethernet and the USB on separate buses and for it to support USB 3.0.

Having a built in wireless option would be good if you had the option to either run it on the same or separate networks.

I agree that I just don't see a coop of 3000 units being pulled off in the DIY Christmas community right now.

Maybe such a buy could be extended to other groups and that might achieve such numbers.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 10:36:49 AM »

Why would you want to do that?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 11:00:38 AM »

The issue is that currently, people with wireless connected FPP's can't plug their system into their home network and have it work properly because then it could have 2 IPs on the same subnet and sometimes creates a problem due to asymmetric routing and the client getting the wrong MAC depending on which IP they use to connect.  It works fine until the user unplugs from ethernet and then wireless doesn't work anymore because their PC has the wireless IP associated with the wired MAC.

Online pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 17
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 11:37:12 AM »

The issue is that currently, people with wireless connected FPP's can't plug their system into their home network and have it work properly because then it could have 2 IPs on the same subnet and sometimes creates a problem due to asymmetric routing and the client getting the wrong MAC depending on which IP they use to connect.  It works fine until the user unplugs from ethernet and then wireless doesn't work anymore because their PC has the wireless IP associated with the wired MAC.
To the 1st quote:   You can.  Each interface must have a unique address.  They can be on the same or different subnets.  Of course, the "normal" configuration is each interface is on a different subnet but its not required.  The only requirement (from a networking perspective) is each interface has a unique address (and unique name).

To the 2nd quote:  I agree with your question, "why?".  Generally there would be no need to do this but there may be some special cases.  TBONE, if you  tell us the objective we might be able to explain a better method.

To the 3rd quote:  I don't fully understand the problem.  But my guess is it has to do with FPP providing a single hostname that it tries to register with DNS (so you can type "FPP" in the browser instead of the 4 octets).  I only see the problem if people try to use this single hostname with dual interfaces.  Yes that could cause problems.  But using the unique addresses or defining two static names in DNS should work fine.  But then again this goes back to the question "why?".  TBONE, what are you trying to accomplish?
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / DIY controllers for everything else

Online pixelpuppy

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 11:45:07 AM »
I forgot to answer the original post  :-[

I agree with most that built-in WiFi would be nice but I would want it to include the ability for an external antenna.

Also USB 3.0 should be the norm now.  I wouldn't need it to support "charge port" but the higher speed would be beneficial for both external USB drives and the onboard ethernet which is connected internally though the onboard USB controller.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 01:21:45 PM »

To the 2nd quote:  I agree with your question, "why?".  Generally there would be no need to do this but there may be some special cases.  TBONE, if you  tell us the objective we might be able to explain a better method.

I think that you misunderstood my post.  I was the one asking why, not wanting to do it myself but I see the Captain's point.  It does make it more difficult to set the initial configuration for the PI including its wireless settings if both interfaces cannot be on the same network (it's not a subnet  ;D ) at the same time.

Online pixelpuppy

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 04:57:22 PM »
Sorry, yes I got the names wrong.  :-[  I should have directed my question to "JonB", not "tbone" 

Both interfaces *can* be on the same network as long as they have unique addresses and you access them by address 

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 05:09:12 PM by pixelpuppy »

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 89
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 05:10:25 PM »
Sorry, yes I got the names wrong.  We were both asking "Why?" to JonB.

Both interfaces *can* be on the same network as long as they have unique addresses and you access them by address not name.

If I put them on "the same network" my Firewall blocks and warns because they show as the same MAC and DNS Name.
They're both on the same USB bus and my Firewall (ESET) sees them as a bad thing. I don't necessarily need them to both work, but it would be less annoying to new people if it did work. Look through the posts. You'll see this as a very common NOOB question, followed by the standard answer to "don't do that" or "create another subnet."

Online pixelpuppy

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 05:20:15 PM »

If I put them on "the same network" my Firewall blocks and warns because they show as the same MAC and DNS Name.
They're both on the same USB bus and my Firewall (ESET) sees them as a bad thing. I don't necessarily need them to both work, but it would be less annoying to new people if it did work. Look through the posts. You'll see this as a very common NOOB question, followed by the standard answer to "don't do that" or "create another subnet."
The problem is your firewall, not the Pi.  During initial setup, I often have both my Pi interfaces connected to the same network.  No problems, but its not a configuration that helps my desired layout.

So the question still remains:  WHY do you want this to work?  If your firewall didn't complain about it, what whould you achieve by having this configuration on the Pi?

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 09:40:41 PM »
  • Faster uSD access
  • ras clock
  • wifi
  • sleep/suspend with the loss of power (add some capacitors?)
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro