Author Topic: Custom Groupings and First RGB Channel Control Mode  (Read 753 times)

Offline akonkman

• Kudos: 0
Custom Groupings and First RGB Channel Control Mode
« on: September 29, 2015, 11:04:41 PM »
Here's what I'm trying to accomplish.  Please let me know if this is possible. 

I am replacing some dumb RGB mini trees with smart RGB pixel mini trees.  Each of my old mini trees were topped with a star that was run off of a single DMX channel (ordinary 110v strand of mini lights).  I had 8 of these mini trees.  Thus, in the past, I had 8 RGB channels (so in actuality, 24 channels run off DMX) to control my mini trees along with 8 single DMX channels to control the star toppers.  My prior-year sequences in LightShow Pro are set up with this in mind.

Now, this year, I'm replacing these trees with RGB pixel mini trees, where each tree is composed of 85 nodes for the main part of the tree and another 20 nodes for the star topper.  In fact, I'm using these trees: http://boscoyostudio.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_5&products_id=38.  These new trees will be controlled using 8 of the uSC's, run off a Smart String Hub.

My question is this:  can I program the uSC's in a way that would allow me to easily use some of my old sequences (treating each mini tree as effectively just 2 RGB channels, 85 nodes in the first channel and 20 nodes in the second), while also supporting some new sequences that would take full advantage of all 105 individual nodes?

I'm thinking the Custom Grouping feature could allow me to handle the old sequences by creating two groups of 85 and 20 nodes respectively.  However, is there a way I can also treat the string as 105 individual RGB nodes?  Is that where the "First RGB Channel Control Mode" might be able to help?

If this is not possible, then I'll know that I have a significant chunk of work ahead of me as I have to rework my old sequences.

Thanks!

Andy

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 51
Re: Custom Groupings and First RGB Channel Control Mode
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 01:02:13 AM »
You are on target. You can use custom grouping as you said but then use the control channel to switch between custom grouping and standard. The control channels is always the first three channels and only the first is used. The other two are reserved for future use.

Control channel usage
Always supply control channel with a value other then zero. For all sequences.
DMX value 0 is ignored.
DMX value 1-7 = standard grouping
DMX value >128 = custom grouping.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline akonkman

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 07:53:53 PM »
Excellent, thanks!  Just to make sure I understand how this works, do I set the DMX value of the control channel for the entire length of my sequence, or do I just need to set it at the beginning, then turn it back to 0 and the setting "sticks" until I set it to another value again?

Also, let's say my starting channel is 1000.  So in my custom grouping scenario, I would set channel 1000 to >128, channels 1001 and 1002 are ignored, channels 1003-1005 are RGB for my first grouping, and channels 1006-1008 are RGB for my second grouping?

For my standard grouping scenario, I would set channel 1000 to 1-7, channels 1001 and 1002 are again ignored, channels 1003-1005 are RGB for my first pixel, 1006-1008 are RGB for my second pixel, 1009-1011 are RGB for my third pixel, and so on.... ?

Thanks again,

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 33
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 08:36:32 PM »
Looks to me as though you could switch in mid sequence by just sending the right right code to the first channel if you turn control channel mode on.  But then how do you number the rest of your channels.  If you don't want to switch dynamically you can just turn grouping on and leave control channel mode off.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP