Author Topic: Newbie.  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Rosleo45

• Kudos: 0
Newbie.
« on: September 30, 2015, 07:38:35 PM »
Looking to make a transition from lor to a pixel setup. Completely lost on what is what, and what software/hardware is recommended. Is there a crash coarse someplace that can be recommended?

What Software? , are computers needed anymore to drive the show? , what controller it's recommended? How do pixels come, individual sets to be daisy chained or standalone pixels you need too wire together? How are they addressed?

Thank you in advance!!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
Re: Newbie.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 07:50:39 PM »
Matt Brown put together a preso a few years back at academy that talks about pixelnet and for together.

http://www.diylightanimation.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:Working_Together-LOR_and_DIY.pptx

not sure if there are other presentations from recent years (I haven't been able to get there). Maybe state where you are from and someone locally can spend some time with you 1:1 over a coffee or beer and get you up to speed. Not being a LOR guy, but a DLA guy I am really only familiar with pixels.

Anyways, FPP is a nice show computer replacement. xlights is good sequencing software. F16v1 and FPD may also be needed hardware or a F16v2.  Look at the forum for those key items and it will help you get started. but I think search forum for academy videos and presentations...that's the BEST place in my opinion to start.
Ryan

Offline Rosleo45

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 04:00:45 AM »
Excellent thanks for the heads up. I apreaciate it!
Btw from the Northern Poconos area in Pennsylvania.

Offline Gerry

• Developer
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 03:09:20 PM »
Hi ,

what hardware and controllers do you already have ?

I would recommend xlights as your software . You can import and/or convert your LOR sequences over. There is a xl ie nutcracker forum as well as a Facebook group.

You can also xl use it to run your show, though most people are using the Pi and FP to run their shows.
Gerry

Offline Rosleo45

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 05:13:28 PM »
No hardware other than 2 16 channel lor controllers. Looking to start converting over time to pixel setup instead of investing in lor. Seems like pixels are the future, but appear to be much more complicated. That's why i want to start puttzing around with software first, then maybe make a leap on done hardware.

Offline Gerry

• Developer
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 11:34:23 PM »
Controller wise , I have a few - the latest one being the Falcon F16v2 and there is a 3rd group buy open for it I think..
But if you need something straight away , then you may need to go for something else and you could consider a  controller with at least one DMX port to start with.
There is a link to a spreadsheet  listing  different controllers and their  features , but i don't have it.

Offline FrankORandle

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 08:09:42 AM »
Blinking lights on and off since 1972.

9,000+ channels on a single prop.