Author Topic: Can't get pixelnet out of FPD  (Read 1592 times)

Offline sielbear

• Kudos: 0
Can't get pixelnet out of FPD
« on: November 01, 2015, 12:22:50 PM »
I'm not sure what's going on here.  I have tried the same FPP from last year connected via ribbon cable to the FPD (used last year).  I see my 2 blue lights flashing (sometimes a full-brightness blink and sometimes a lot of rapid flashes) on the FPD.  I first tried connecting the output to my hub (same setup as last year) and connected a few strands - nothing.  I then swapped for a different hub - same thing - no lights at all.  I then connected a F16 that was used last year - no blue flashing (which I believe indicates no pixelnet being received). 

I then re-flashed the 2 PICs on the FPD - same results - although the blue lights seem more dim now on the FPD than they were last year.  I remember in the past the blue LEDs were so bright, it would like up the room. 

I'm completely stumped here.  Any ideas / suggestions? 

Offline sielbear

Re: Can't get pixelnet out of FPD
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »
BTW - I've also tried a different PI Player - a B+ using the latest firmware.  Same results. 

Offline sielbear

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
One other note - I connected an etherdongle from RJ - enabled E1.31 output on the FPP and that worked just fine.  So the issue is clearly related to the FPD side of things. 

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 102
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 01:00:32 PM »
Can you take a nice, clear pic of the FPD so it can be checked for jumper placement?

You probably don't want to hear the "well, mine is working fine" answer. (but it is, and everything is at latest revisions)

If nothing is resolved there, it may take a TeamViewer session.

JonB

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 01:19:25 PM »
What firmware revision are you using on the FPD?
-
Chris

Offline sielbear

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 01:19:46 PM »
I'm working on getting some pics uploaded.

I just read a thread from someone else with an FPD issue.  His problem turned out to be a power supply problem.

I used an enercell 5V power supply last year with no issues at all.  When I connected everything up, I noticed my Pi didn't really seem to boot up.  I was powering the PFD board, and driving the PI off the USB port on the FPD.  I used an iPad power supply to drive the Pi player and it booted up immediately.  I left the enercell connected to the FPD (thinking if it was just a little low on power, the FPD would probably be fine on its own. 

I'm wondering if that power supply went bad and it's just barely putting out 5V. 

I'm going to see if I can find a different dedicated 5V power supply around the house for the FPD.  The issues I'm seeing are just too similar to the other post on this topic. 

Offline sielbear

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 01:28:25 PM »
And there it is...

It was the freaking power supply. 

And the blue lights are back to putting your eyes out bright.