Author Topic: Switching away from EtD  (Read 2044 times)

Offline PittFan

• Kudos: 0
Switching away from EtD
« on: November 07, 2015, 05:47:27 AM »
Currently, I am using my EtD to program controllers and test lights.

How do I do this with the FPD?  There is no PixelNet input (that I am aware of  :-[ )

I want to stop using my EtD (more for backup situations).

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
Re: Switching away from EtD
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 03:46:22 PM »
You can run FPP in bridge mode sending PixelNet out using a FPD attached to a Pi or using a USB serial dongle.  We are also working on enabling the serial outputs on the F16-B which will then allow you to use  FPP on the BBB in bridge mode to output PixelNet.  The F16-v2 can also bridge to PixelNet.

There are lots of options with Falcon gear and there seem to be lots of opportunities to get rid of your EtD since the COOP for them was cancelled again this year.
-
Chris

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 46
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 04:22:20 PM »
While these things are possible, the real question is why?  While the ETD does not have cool configuration screens and for the most part any further development on them is done, it still works and works well.  Sure, if you put it up for sale in the DLA forum, it will probably be gone in a day which also says a lot.  I also have a few ETD's and even a few Conductor boards and where the Conductor IMHO is dead and gone and I don't use them anymore, the ETD still works just fine and I guess that I am just one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" type of guys.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 74
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 05:44:53 PM »
One good thing about EtherDongle is that you just plug it in and it works. There is no operating system and other complexities to worry about. I use mine a lot for testing multicast setups. I am thinking of making a Falcon version of it from a processor and FPGA (maybe even V2 FPGA board as brains) that would support unicast and multicast but have 12 universes of Pixelnet/Dmx/Renard. Similart to FPD but without PI. Also we are looking at a BBB version of FPD when we get the serial working on BBB.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline PittFan

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 05:50:20 PM »
I might be doing something wrong then.

If I decided to switch between using Pi/FPD and the EtD.  I have to do the following.

Since I'm in Pi/FPD mode already, I have to change my network configuration from a manual setting to using an automatically assigned address for the PC.
To go from EtD back to Pi/FPD, I need to reset the my PCs network address to an assigned setting.

I just don't want to keep making the changes.

It is nothing against EtD.  As you all say, it has wroked very well.  I only have one left.  Another I had "broke" while I was trying to get a conductor working with it.  If I can get things running with  pi/FPD at least I will be able to keep things running if the EtD goes down. 

I also have a USB dongle setup for pixelnet so that is an option as well. 

I'll have to learn more about Bridging.  In my mind I don't understand it yet. How do you get Pixelnet data to the Pi player?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 51
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 07:42:46 PM »
How do you get Pixelnet data to the Pi player?

You do not get pixelnet data to the Pi, you give the Pi sequence data and configuration info and the Pi generates pixelnet data.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA Falcon and Lynx, all 12v Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 46
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 08:00:37 PM »
Actually, IIRC, currently the PI generates E1.31 data which is then converted by either the FPD or the ETD into Pixelnet data.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 09:33:12 AM »
Actually, IIRC, currently the PI generates E1.31 data which is then converted by either the FPD or the ETD into Pixelnet data.

The FPD connects to the Pi's GPIO header and data is sent over the SPI connection meaning that you can send up to 32K channels over a combination of Pixelnet or DMX without the data ever going out over the network unless you are running FPP in bridge mode receiving E1.31 from another source.