A few questions

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 1321 times)

Offline deplanche

• Kudos: 5
A few questions
« on: November 22, 2015, 06:18:23 PM »
I recently purchased one of these from another member and assembled it this weekend, but have a few questions I can't see to find the answer to.

1. Is the USB port only to connect power for the FPP, or does something else like a thumb drive or wireless dongle plug in there?
2. How does the heat sink get attached?  The manual says it's not show attached, but I can't seem to find a photo of it attached.
3. If I wanted to run this off a FPP that doesn't have wireless to keep the the time, but was using a RTC, how do i (or can i) use this to run a show? 
4. To connect this to a pixlenet device like a Lynx Zues, which of the ports should I use and how should that be wired?  I would be on Universe 1, and probably under 1000 channels.

Thanks.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 04:08:51 PM »
I recently purchased one of these from another member and assembled it this weekend, but have a few questions I can't see to find the answer to.

1. Is the USB port only to connect power for the FPP, or does something else like a thumb drive or wireless dongle plug in there?
2. How does the heat sink get attached?  The manual says it's not show attached, but I can't seem to find a photo of it attached.
3. If I wanted to run this off a FPP that doesn't have wireless to keep the the time, but was using a RTC, how do i (or can i) use this to run a show? 
4. To connect this to a pixlenet device like a Lynx Zues, which of the ports should I use and how should that be wired?  I would be on Universe 1, and probably under 1000 channels.

Thanks.

1) The USB port is only for powering the Pi
2) I will have to defer to someone else on this if you are referring to the heat sinks on the PIC chips.  Anyone?
3) The 'P2' header on the FPD is connected directly to the pins on the cable coming from the Pi, so you can plug your RTC into the P2 header on the FPD.  There are a couple posts on the forum about that, search for "FPD RTC" and there might be a picture or more information if you still have questions.
4) Plug your Zeus into port 1 on the FPD and set the Zues to Universe 1.  You should be good with the default FPD configuration in FPP which sends 4 universes of pixelnet out the first port on the FPD.  Check the checkbox on the FPD page in FPP to enable the FPD output and restart the FPP daemon (FPPD) and then you should be able to use the channel test page in FPP to turn on lights on the Zeus.
-
Chris

Offline deplanche

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 10:03:28 PM »
1- Thanks
2 - It's a heat sink on the voltage regulator, that I can't seem to figure out how to get installed.
3 - Looks like I might need to get another header before I can give that a try.
4 - I'll give that a try.

Thanks for all the help.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 10:05:30 PM »
2 - It's a heat sink on the voltage regulator, that I can't seem to figure out how to get installed.

This should just slip under the voltage regulator and a bolt goes through the voltage regulator and heatsink and then secures with a nut on the back of the FPD.  Mine doesn't have a heat sink installed on the regulator, I'm not sure if you need it if you aren't using the FPD to power the Pi.  David or someone else would have to answer that.