Author Topic: One controller in test mode after lots of rain  (Read 1789 times)

Offline sielbear

• Kudos: 0
One controller in test mode after lots of rain
« on: November 29, 2015, 02:22:00 PM »
Still raining here. And ideas on things to check? I've got a monster umbrella I can take out, but don't want to spend all afternoon in the rain. Controllers before and after are not in test mode.  Controller and psu is in a battery box.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 72
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: One controller in test mode after lots of rain
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 02:54:52 PM »
A can of compressed air? Blow away the moisture, put a bag over the battery box.

Offline MrChristmas2000

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 4
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 03:13:18 PM »
Is the vent holes on the top sealed? They can let in large amounts of water and drown anything inside.

Offline sielbear

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 08:00:40 PM »
Yes- I silicone them shit as soon as I buy the battery boxes. I did not see any moisture in there.

Couldn't figure it out. Swapped with another controller, but clearly made a mistake as the first strand was perfect, strands 2 and 3 had red and blue reversed. But it's POURING rain, so I just left it unplugged for now (passive pixelnet pass through for the win!

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 139
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 08:16:31 PM »

Yes- I silicone them shit as soon as I buy the battery boxes. I did not see any moisture in there.

I use hot glue now.  I used to use silicon until one of my kids started peeling it off while talking to me in the garage one day.  I replaced my last silicon on one the other day after noticing the effect just 2 seasons outside had on it.
-
Chris

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 59
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 12:10:31 AM »
I am actually moving to Rubber Maid stuff. The 70Mph winds throws the snow right in through where the cable comes in. Only way to stop it is to wrap glad bag around the box. I have been using a couple of Rubber Maids and I like how they keep snow out. Not worried much about heat build up here in the Springs. It is always below freezing at night.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• believe in miracles
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 04:15:04 AM »
A can of compressed air? Blow away the moisture, put a bag over the battery box.
This is what I do as well. Its always raining here in the "winter" so black garbage bags with bows look good and it keeps the rain out.
Its a wonderful life.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 05:58:35 AM »
I'm bringing this subject back to life...this morning I awoke to -5 with the wind around 40mph and about 6" of snow...it's going to continue for a day or so like this ...so wohoo - white Christmas!!...anyways the F16 is in test mode. I ensured no jumper on the board and rebooted the board. Red LED and all green LEDs on the board...just no flashing blue pixelnet signal and the elements connected to the F16 are all in test pattern mode. Not a great way to start the day....(and it took me 15min to type this note because my fingers are still getting the circulation back in them)...

Outside of disconnecting the wires, bringing the F16 inside and looking for bad solder points...I want to make sure there are no other simple things to....my thinking is if the controller is in test mode then the programming on the chip is fine and I don't need to reflash it with the pic...should I get a hair dryer out there and warm it up? 

Let me know your thoughts on troubleshooting this one...
Ryan

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 11:29:14 AM »
I would throw a C9 on the AC line and see if it corrects itself. 
Sam

Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 04:20:01 PM »
Do you mean do something like put a single c9 in the box to keep the board warm or will the c9 do something funky with the resistance on the power source and change the functionality of the f16?

Outlet ---- extension cord ----- c9 string ---- f16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 36
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 04:57:47 PM »
It is to supply some warmth to the controller overnite.  We used to do that a lot in olden days with some AC controllers.  Gee doesn't seem like that long ago either.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 02:22:07 AM »
I meant to clip off a C9 off a string, strip and tin one end, insulate the other somehow with liquid electrical tape/nail polish.  Then wire it inside the enclosure to warm things up like Jim said.  Unplug F16, loosen the AC connector, add the C9 wires, tighten.  There should be plenty of room.  All this being said, I am not entirely convinced your problem is a temperature issue.  I see alot of low temps and never had this with Falcon gear.  I have had a PS go wonky in cold temps tho.  If it is temp related, the hair dryer is not the way to go.  You drag it out there and warm it up/you freeze your can off as you now realize this will not be fast as you never dry your hair in subzero weather  ;D and then it finally works fine but then an hour later, fails.  The C9 should be easier and is the long term solution for temp related controller issues.  I had to do it on all my DLA LE's.  Agreed, doesn't seem long ago, Jim.     

Online algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 06:19:45 AM »
Is your power supply(s) in the same case with your controller?  I'm surprised that it didn't keep temps up a bit.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 08:12:48 AM »
The few times I cracked mine open during season (with PS in same case) there was very little heat if any.  I am actually quite curious to use an F16v2 to see some temp readings.  I think these little guys really get quite cold being subjected to the elements.  Snow melting on the case turning to ice and then wind chill...  Conversely, you might be surprised how much heat a single C9 generates inside the case.  Doesn't get hot but adds more warmth than you'd think.  Kinda funny, this year I am somewhat battling snow accumulation on my aether floods.  They give off hardly any heat so the snow does not really melt and the snow affects the output substantially. 

Online algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 09:08:24 AM »
I'm at that line between warmer and colder regions.  (Just southeast of St. Louis).  We have gone down to the teens and single digits over the past several years (and days).  The small amount of heat generated by the PS has been sufficient to keep the boards warm enough.  I can see when going down further in temp may be a problem. 

The incandescent C9 (or similar) solution does seem to be a viable heat source for the boxes.