Author Topic: EDM-RDS  (Read 6216 times)

Offline Aaron Maue

• Kudos: 8
Re: EDM-RDS
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2017, 07:06:48 AM »
For the RDS EDM plugin, you're not limited to using those pins. I use a different pair myself. I can't remember right now which ones they are, but I know I had to change the values for the plugin. You'll want to make sure t take a long ok at the pinout for the light to make sure you pick alternate pins of the correct type.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:02:01 AM by Aaron Maue »

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2017, 07:19:50 AM »
I had updated the plugin a deem months ago and v1.8 worked ok.  There have been some changes I think with the code recently and I haven't done any testing the last 6 months.  It's good you got things working with the script though- the physical setup is usually the toughest part. For the scrolling txt I think the way to do it means using a RDS function - I'll have to go back to look at what is available with the edm rds chip.  I'll revisit this in the upcoming months but appreciate the feature request and happy to see you getting value out of this. 
Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan

Offline bjlled

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2017, 08:04:19 AM »
How can I go about troubleshooting the reason the song text isn't switching?  The callbacks script isnt working?    Either its like not registered, or not functioning?

I am just not sure where to start to troubleshoot--- but I have no problem doing it.  Just point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 140
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2017, 08:40:52 AM »
First post here!    I got my EDM RDS working tonight, but only from the rds-song.py python script.    I can change everything just fine.    I even enhanced it to change the "program type" option.   I'd like to finish that development and get that to you drlucas.

You should be able to set your fppd log level to 'debug' and check the 'plugins' mask checkbox and get plugin related log messages in fppd.log.
-
Chris

Offline Aaron Maue

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2017, 11:43:56 AM »
How can I go about troubleshooting the reason the song text isn't switching?  The callbacks script isnt working?    Either its like not registered, or not functioning?

I am just not sure where to start to troubleshoot--- but I have no problem doing it.  Just point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

One thing you may want to check is the metadata for the .mp3 file itself.  That's where the script pulls song and artist name from.  You may have already done this, but thought I'd point it out to save you some more difficult debugging if you hadn't done this yet.

Offline bjlled

« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2017, 02:24:32 PM »
Hey everyone,

I've made significant enhancements to the EDM RDS plugin, that I'd like to get checked into github and/or get back to drlucas so he can check it in.    I'm still in progress---but I wanted to get the ball rolling on getting my changes integrated, and maybe (if I am lucky) verified by someone else besides myself.

Its been a ton of fun working on it and I'm very thankful for all the work that got it this far!

Offline Aaron Maue

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2017, 05:48:39 PM »
Awesome. So, what enhancements have you made?

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2017, 04:10:38 AM »
I'm all for it. What are the details for the change - I'm a rookie level with github but let me know your info and I'll add as a contributor or you can set up your own repository and people can just test it locally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mdahm

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2017, 10:28:29 AM »
Any updates to the plugin?  Just got my EDM-RDS working for FM transmitting and now ready to start making a cable and working with the plugin.  I have a pi3 but I use an LCD screen on it that uses pins 1-26. 

Offline bjlled

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2017, 09:57:15 PM »
I do have local changes/improvements I need to get checked into the project.   Makes things quite a bit easier.

Offline mdahm

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2017, 07:39:42 AM »
Thanks for the update

Offline mdahm

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2017, 09:24:52 PM »

Aaron Maue, thank you very much for your detailed instructions.  A couple of hiccups and I was up and running, amazing!   

My problem is that I forgot to copy my backed up network settings so when I got to the download the zip file it failed.  I added my network settings and resumed but forgot to go the correct folder and downloaded and installed the pigpio in the wrong directory.  When I finally figured out my mistake I put it in the correct location but then when I ran sudo pigpiod it gave and error error  Can't lock /var/run/pigpio.pid.  I figured out it was running in the wrong directory and can only run 1 instance so I ran sudo killall pigpiod, ran it in the correct location and it works great!

Thanks to all on here for their detailed work.

Offline Aaron Maue

« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2017, 12:11:31 PM »

Aaron Maue, thank you very much for your detailed instructions.  A couple of hiccups and I was up and running, amazing!   

My problem is that I forgot to copy my backed up network settings so when I got to the download the zip file it failed.  I added my network settings and resumed but forgot to go the correct folder and downloaded and installed the pigpio in the wrong directory.  When I finally figured out my mistake I put it in the correct location but then when I ran sudo pigpiod it gave and error error  Can't lock /var/run/pigpio.pid.  I figured out it was running in the wrong directory and can only run 1 instance so I ran sudo killall pigpiod, ran it in the correct location and it works great!

Thanks to all on here for their detailed work.

Good deal.  Glad you got it working.  What version of Pi are you using?  I ran mine on a Pi2 master last year.  Going to change that out for a Pi3 master in the coming week or so.

Offline mdahm

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2017, 12:10:16 PM »
I am using a pi 3 B with FPP 1.8 and it worked great.  I also have a LCD screen on the top that uses pins 1-26.  I made the cable use 38,39 (ground) and 40 and it works great.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:46:09 AM by mdahm »

Offline TNF250

« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2017, 03:26:05 PM »

I am using a pi 3 B with FPP 1.8 and it worked great.  I also have a LCD screen on the top that uses pins 1-26.  I made the cable use 38,39 (ground) and 40 and it works great.
Re-posted mdahm previous post- could not read.
"I am using a pi 3 B with FPP 1.8 and it worked great.  I also have a LCD screen on the top that uses pins 1-26.  I made the cable use 38,39 (ground) and 40 and it works great."