Author Topic: Matrix Board Build  (Read 4943 times)

lightsonlinden

Matrix Board Build
« on: January 05, 2016, 09:19:44 PM »
I am wanting to learn more about these P10 panels.

I am new to RGB, Xlights, FPP, etc.  So looking for any guidance and if anyone can direct me to a thread or forum that may spell things out as far as what is needed hardware and programming wise, etc.

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 12
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
Re: Matrix Board Build
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 06:24:46 AM »
You're in the right place.  Use that search box and put in "P10" or "Beaglebone Black" or "octoscroller" and read away.  It's all here - you just have to search and read.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)
 This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

lightsonlinden

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 11:58:30 AM »
Yes I search away...  Are you saying that in order to run the P10 matrix you need P10s plus Octoscroller plus Beagle Bone Black?

Are P10s the only way to have a matrix?

I am not sure what all can be done but I was merely looking to explore one for a Radio Station Sign or the ability to scroll messages.   I don't know if these can be extended to do videos or not.   I am an extreme novice when it comes to Xlights, FPP and RPI.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 12:05:24 PM »
A matrix is a 'tv screen' basically. you could also use VirtualMatrix and output over HDMI to a projector either rear projection or front projection if the projector was in your yard.

Matrix is what you want it to be.  next year, we are thinking of a large matrix on our fence line ... dont know.. will cost $$$ but will be very cool.
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

lightsonlinden

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 12:09:53 PM »
So how does one get the images/text/video onto the matrix?

I messed around this morning as built a matrix as a model and directed it to the PI and was able to see it model in Xlights and on my PC screen via HDMI.

I don't understand how the octoscroller and beagle come into the mix... are those the only hardware items that will allow one to drive a P10 matrix and that is why?

Could a person just built a bullet node matrix vs. the P10 or even sport larger HDMI enabled PC Monitor or TV as the display?

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 12:33:09 PM »
Yes the octoscroller is the interface to the P10 panels. There is also adafruit 'hat's for the PIs that with a little tinkering will work with the FPP codebase.

Yes you could create PixelNode Matrixes and drive them with any smart pixel driver and do the same.

Holiday coro sells a pixel 'mesh' that you could populate with your own pixels. I used one of these for a tune to sign proof of concept and still have it populated with nodes but never used it.

Yes you could do all that without P10's .. it's up to you. the tools are available in either direction that you want to take. Cost, time, etc..

lightsonlinden

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 12:49:25 PM »
Famous last words but for now one last question.

How does one drive video from Xlights?

I see there is a Video file tab in FPP.

I think I know how to do the text effect but am unclear on a video file.

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 12
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 01:04:51 PM »

lightsonlinden

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 01:20:56 PM »
Thanks!

lightsonlinden

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 01:59:22 PM »
I just tried a test with text effect.

In Xlights.   The matrix model has the text moving left center of matrix.

When I push the sequence to FPP and run it test mode what is shown on my monitor via HDMI output is inverse.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 02:05:29 PM »
When I push the sequence to FPP and run it test mode what is shown on my monitor via HDMI output is inverse.

If you mean upside down, then change your xLights model to 'Top Left' instead of 'Bottom Left'.
-
Chris

lightsonlinden

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 04:15:27 PM »
One more crazy question.

Not sure that this is practical but if someone wanted to use a monitor/TV to drive the video effects display in their yard, etc.    Can you have a primary PI for FPP and secondary PI (wifi) feeding the video via HDMI?

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 04:41:20 PM »
you describe the master / slave feature in FPP currently.. yes. the video can play from the slave pi connected to the projector/monitor.

lightsonlinden

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 04:58:07 PM »
Great..... like I said my famous last words...One more Q to my list.... :P

So If I use the pictures effect and run the video that way... When I bring this sequence over to FPP am I only dealing with the two files, Fseq and MP3 or do I need a video file as well.

I ask because there is a video tab in FPP.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 05:01:59 PM »
If you are chunking the sequence as images (individual frames of video) all that is embedded in the fseq file.
then you need the audio file (mp3) to play if you want sound.

the slaves will play a file with the same filename (in advance of the extension) on the slaves if it exists.

example: master is playing santa.mp3 ... slaves have santa.mp4 (video file) so the slave will look first for santa.mp3 and not find it, and then it will find santa.mp4 and play that.