Author Topic: FPP WiFi Setup (Originally Master + Remotes + WiFi How-To)  (Read 20276 times)

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
  • Kudos: 30
Re: FPP WiFi Setup (Originally Master + Remotes + WiFi How-To)
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2016, 01:35:22 PM »
So if I add another Pi in the future I will just have to add another route to my PC like I did for this one?

If I add a controller to this Pi, I should be able to connect with the route I have already written as long as I set it to this same subnet?

If you add a second PI with something behind it, then you will need to add a second route. The route is not for the FPP itself but to the devices behind the FPP. When you add a second FPP, you need to make sure its unique on both sides so your WLAN0 would be say 192.168.0.22 and ETH0 would be say 192.168.102.1.

"And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day."

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2016, 01:41:19 PM »
Also, what is the reason to have a Pi just connected to the transmitter? and no controller? Referring to the diagrams on the 1st page

In my example, the Master FPP was dedicated to sending sync packets to the remote FPP and transmitting the audio since it has a HiFiBerry DAC PiHat for better audio. I was also toying with the ideal of doing video projection mapping and I would have been using the Master FPP to drive the projector. In reality it was just a personal preference of mine to have the Master FPP only do master things.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 37
« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2016, 02:15:10 PM »
Also, what is the reason to have a Pi just connected to the transmitter? and no controller? Referring to the diagrams on the 1st page

My master has only the FM transmitter on it, because it is inside the house and is a Bplus while all the Pis attached to controllers are Pi3s.  There have been lot of issues with Pi3 and audio so I repurposed my Bplus unit.  Plus I keep the transmitter inside the house and have no wires going from inside to outside.  It also is right next to my wifi show router.  All 3 items are mounted to a piece of pegboard on a wall inside a closet on the front side of the house.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline Mattera68

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2016, 02:46:27 PM »
So if I add another Pi in the future I will just have to add another route to my PC like I did for this one?

If I add a controller to this Pi, I should be able to connect with the route I have already written as long as I set it to this same subnet?

If you add a second PI with something behind it, then you will need to add a second route. The route is not for the FPP itself but to the devices behind the FPP. When you add a second FPP, you need to make sure its unique on both sides so your WLAN0 would be say 192.168.0.22 and ETH0 would be say 192.168.102.1.

That's what I meant with the 2nd Pi, thanks!
Tony

Offline Mattera68

« Reply #124 on: December 18, 2016, 02:49:11 PM »

My master has only the FM transmitter on it, because it is inside the house and is a Bplus while all the Pis attached to controllers are Pi3s.  There have been lot of issues with Pi3 and audio so I repurposed my Bplus unit.  Plus I keep the transmitter inside the house and have no wires going from inside to outside.  It also is right next to my wifi show router.  All 3 items are mounted to a piece of pegboard on a wall inside a closet on the front side of the house.

Wifi show router? Can you explain that setup? Sorry for so many ?'s, just trying to understand all this stuff.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2016, 05:23:27 PM »

Wifi show router? Can you explain that setup? Sorry for so many ?'s, just trying to understand all this stuff.

Some people setup a dedicated WiFi network for their show separate from their home WiFi network. If you are use sending FPP sync packets there is not an issue. If you are sending actual E1.31 packets they are rather noisy and will flood your WiFi network and make it tough to do things like surf the net. By having the E1.31 on its own WiFI you don't impact your home network.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2016, 05:31:02 PM »
And I had a second router already that was used last year also.

Offline Mattera68

« Reply #127 on: December 24, 2016, 08:41:15 AM »
Is the show wifi connected to the Internet?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #128 on: December 24, 2016, 07:00:33 PM »
My show router has internet access.  Works great for updates.

Offline Mattera68

« Reply #129 on: December 25, 2016, 12:19:37 PM »
Can you explain the set up? Maybe a drawing