Author Topic: FPP WiFi Setup (Originally Master + Remotes + WiFi How-To)  (Read 18834 times)

Offline Duramadmax

• Kudos: 0
Re: Master + Remotes + WiFi How-To
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 07:43:13 PM »
I know pictures are worth a thousand words, but you might want to reference the lines between the fpp's and the router with a different designation than a line. I keep thinking a physical cable connection than a wifi/wireless connection. Maybe a wifi symbol could be incorporated.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2016, 08:07:09 PM »
I know pictures are worth a thousand words, but you might want to reference the lines between the fpp's and the router with a different designation than a line. I keep thinking a physical cable connection than a wifi/wireless connection. Maybe a wifi symbol could be incorporated.

Good suggestion. I've added them to my master graphic so they will so up next time I update the images for option 4 when its ready.

"And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day."

Offline rcowan

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 06:01:47 PM »
So I've got an overall question for this topic. I haven't installed FPP yet so I can't look at the config screens to know what is possible. With setting up a mater/remote scenario, is the master just simply used for timing (i.e. getting all of the clocks in sync) and then each Pi is simply responsible for it's portion of the sequence not knowing about the other Pis on the network. Or, is there a setting in FPP that says, this one is the master and this one is the remote and so the master is actually sending commands to the remote?
Rick Cowan

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2016, 06:05:41 PM »
There is a setting in FPP to designate the FPP as Master or Remote. During playback of the sequence, the master sends periodic timing signals to the remotes to keep them in sync with the master.

Offline rcowan

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2016, 06:21:15 PM »
So do you put your complete sequence then on each Pi? Since the remote Pi is only connected to a specific controller (or possibly multiple) then it won't matter that it's sending out data for universes that are on other controllers because the controller will just ignore those.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2016, 06:36:39 PM »
So do you put your complete sequence then on each Pi? Since the remote Pi is only connected to a specific controller (or possibly multiple) then it won't matter that it's sending out data for universes that are on other controllers because the controller will just ignore those.

Your questions might be better addressed in a new thread as this one is really dealing with the network side of doing Master & Remotes overs WiFi.

Offline Aaron Maue

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 12:11:21 AM »
Having trouble "seeing" my F16V2 on the other side of my FPP which is running in standalone mode.

My home router is 192.168.0.1.  I have my FPP connected to it via wlan0 at static address 192.168.0.201.  I can control the FPP with no problem.

I have eth0 set up as static 10.10.10.50.  Connected to it via an ethernet cable is my F16v2 with a static address of 10.10.10.101.  In FPP, I have no gateway identified for eth0.

I have the "enable routing" checkbox checked.

I've tried both Option 1 and Option 2, as you have described, although I'm not 100% sure whether I got the route entered correctly into the router.  In the router, I created a new static route with a Destination IP of 10.10.10.0, mask of 255.255.255.0, and gateway IP of 192.168.0.201.  I've also done the following command in Windows:  "route add 10.10.10.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.201".  I didn't use the -p switch, as I didn't want to make it permanent until I got things working.

I can ping 10.10.10.50 (eth0).  I can't ping 10.10.10.101. tracert 10.10.10.101 times out.

If it helps with trouble-shooting, I can also ping 10.10.10.50 when I deselect the "enable routing" checkbox.  Which seems weird.  But, I'm not a networking guy.

Finally, in your final trouble-shooting step you say "if the result of the tracert looks like this...", then check the network settings especially the gateway in the controller.  My controller gateway is 0.0.0.0.  What should it be?  192.168.0.201?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I don't want to have to access all my controllers via a hard-wire connection from my laptop once they're all deployed into the yard.

What else can I do to figure out why it might not be working?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 12:49:32 AM by Aaron Maue »

Offline Aaron Maue

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 12:58:56 AM »
Wahoo!  Figured it out.  I clued into the comment about the gateway setting on the controller.  Changed it to the same IP address as the wlan0 address and all works.  For now, I have it working via the PC route command.  Gonna try and get it to work through the router next, but I have it working!!!!!

Thanks for putting this step-by-step out there for all of us.  Including the trouble-shooting.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 07:24:25 AM »
Wahoo!  Figured it out.  I clued into the comment about the gateway setting on the controller.  Changed it to the same IP address as the wlan0 address and all works.  For now, I have it working via the PC route command.  Gonna try and get it to work through the router next, but I have it working!!!!!

Thanks for putting this step-by-step out there for all of us.  Including the trouble-shooting.

Aaron, glad to hear you met with success. I took your comments and tweaked the how-to a little to make it easier for the next person to come along. Please take a look at it again and let me know if the tweaks would have helped you the first time through.

Offline Aaron Maue

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »

Aaron, glad to hear you met with success. I took your comments and tweaked the how-to a little to make it easier for the next person to come along. Please take a look at it again and let me know if the tweaks would have helped you the first time through.

That would have helped. Thanks for the change. One thing though... I didn't set the controller gateway to the eth0 IP address. I set it to the wlan0 address. And it worked. Is that what I should expect, similar to the reason I could ping eth0 even when I had deselected the enable routing checkbox? Would you recommend changing it to the eth0 address, as it's more correct?

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2016, 11:48:03 AM »

That would have helped. Thanks for the change. One thing though... I didn't set the controller gateway to the eth0 IP address. I set it to the wlan0 address. And it worked. Is that what I should expect, similar to the reason I could ping eth0 even when I had deselected the enable routing checkbox? Would you recommend changing it to the eth0 address, as it's more correct?

It would be best to set the controller to eth0 address and not the wlan0 address, even though its working now it might not down the road and might not with other devices. The "standard" is the gateway should always be within the local/directly connected subnet and not outside of it. And yes, the reason it primarily worked is the same reason why you could ping eth0 without enabling routing.

If anybody would like I more technical explanation of why certain things work the way to do, I'd be more than glad to but I don't want to confuse things here on this thread. Just ask and I'll start a new thread.

Offline MartinP

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
Hi.
A complete FPP novice here  ::) Be gentle!

I am playing with one Pi B v2/ FPP v1.7 and a Sandevice E682 controller at the moment.
I have followed advice here on setting up the E682 controller and FPP. (The E682 does not have a gateway entry)
FPP warns that DNS servers must be configured when both I/F IPs are static - which appears to conflict with instructions here.

Ping and Tracert return successfully, so that side of things appear OK.
I can "talk" to / configure FPP over WiFi from the laptop OK
I can "talk" to / configure the E682, which is on a different subnet from the laptop via WiFi through the Pi/FPP.
My main router does not allow manipulation of route tables, so the route is added to the laptop as suggested.
A *.fseq, produced with XLights, loaded and run on FPP does not control the pixels I have connected, yet I can run that same sequence from the laptop, and it will control those lights over WiFi via the Pi/FPP/E682 setup.

There doesn't appear to be any E1.31 data travelling between Pi/FPP and E682, judging by the eth0 activity LEDs when the sequence is running in FPP.

FPP is in standalone mode - is this correct?

I'm stumped at the moment  :o

TIA
MArtin

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 12:02:46 PM »
Hi.
A complete FPP novice here  ::) Be gentle!

I am playing with one Pi B v2/ FPP v1.7 and a Sandevice E682 controller at the moment.
I have followed advice here on setting up the E682 controller and FPP. (The E682 does not have a gateway entry)
FPP warns that DNS servers must be configured when both I/F IPs are static - which appears to conflict with instructions here.

Ping and Tracert return successfully, so that side of things appear OK.
I can "talk" to / configure FPP over WiFi from the laptop OK
I can "talk" to / configure the E682, which is on a different subnet from the laptop via WiFi through the Pi/FPP.
My main router does not allow manipulation of route tables, so the route is added to the laptop as suggested.
A *.fseq, produced with XLights, loaded and run on FPP does not control the pixels I have connected, yet I can run that same sequence from the laptop, and it will control those lights over WiFi via the Pi/FPP/E682 setup.

There doesn't appear to be any E1.31 data travelling between Pi/FPP and E682, judging by the eth0 activity LEDs when the sequence is running in FPP.

FPP is in standalone mode - is this correct?

I'm stumped at the moment  :o

TIA
MArtin

I'll clarify the DNS server issue in the instructions.

Have you configured the E1.31 outputs on the FPP? That one tripped me up the first time around.

Offline MartinP

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 12:51:53 PM »
Oh woe is me  :-[

Silly, silly old fart that I am - I had configured the E1.31 outputs previously when testing the E682 with an IP address within my home subnet, and had forgotten to change that! All working fine now  :D
It is always the simple things that seem to trip me up - I must overthink things  ::)

Thanks so much for the prompt reply, and sorry for wasting time.

Martin
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 01:03:57 PM by MartinP »

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 08:58:26 AM »
I found typo in the setup for Option 3...

Option 3:
So if I want to log into the controller behind Remote1 instead of using http://192.168.101.50, I would use http://192.168.2.111.
Should be 192.168.1.111 to match the rest of the example.
Vixen3, FPP, F16v2, xL4