Author Topic: FPP WiFi Setup (Originally Master + Remotes + WiFi How-To)  (Read 18049 times)

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
  • Kudos: 30
Re: Master + Remotes + WiFi How-To
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2016, 11:11:02 AM »
I found typo in the setup for Option 3...

Option 3:
So if I want to log into the controller behind Remote1 instead of using http://192.168.101.50, I would use http://192.168.2.111.
Should be 192.168.1.111 to match the rest of the example.

Thanks for the catch. It's been fixed.

"And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day."

Offline ccsuhr

• Kudos: 0
Re: FPP WiFi Setup (Originally Master + Remotes + WiFi How-To)
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2016, 02:30:08 PM »
Having a weird issue that the Static address I try to set for wlan0 is not staying when I update interface and is not there when I restart network on on reboot.

I have verified that the usb device is showing in lsusb
ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]

lsmod
8192cu                528485  0

iwconfig
wlan0     unassociated  Nickname:"<WIFI@REALTEK>"
          Mode:Auto  Frequency=2.412 GHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
          Sensitivity:0/0
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

nano /etc/network/interface

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
  address 10.0.0.10
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  network 10.0.0.0

iface eth0:0 inet static
  address 192.168.0.10
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  network 192.168.0.0

Wireless router is running WPA2/WPA Mixed Personal
and I'm using the password where it reference a Pre Shared  Key (PSK)

Any Ideas what I'm missing or need to adjust 

Thanks in Advance

Charles

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2016, 05:25:45 PM »
Having a weird issue that the Static address I try to set for wlan0 is not staying when I update interface and is not there when I restart network on on reboot.

Any Ideas what I'm missing or need to adjust 

Thanks in Advance

Charles

Have you configured the FPP's External Storage Device? If that is not configured, the FPP will forget its network settings across reboots.

Offline ccsuhr

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2016, 05:41:50 PM »
ETH0 is staying the WLAN0 is where the issue is one note I found a issue with the password I use for wireless It contained an & sign and this was causing it to blank the inputs.  what I did was did the ip address then update network that stuck then tired the SSID and PSK that still blanked.  Tired a plain word as password and that stayed.  Change PSK on router and still no luck. 

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2016, 05:52:38 PM »
ETH0 is staying the WLAN0 is where the issue is one note I found a issue with the password I use for wireless It contained an & sign and this was causing it to blank the inputs.  what I did was did the ip address then update network that stuck then tired the SSID and PSK that still blanked.  Tired a plain word as password and that stayed.  Change PSK on router and still no luck.

What are the contents of /home/fpp/media/config/interface.wlan0 and /home/fpp/media/config/interface.eth0?  The /etc/network/interfaces file is generated at each boot time based on the contents of these two files.

Offline ccsuhr

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2016, 06:03:23 PM »
INTERFACE="wlan0"
PROTO="static"
ADDRESS="192.168.1.244"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY="192.168.1.1"
SSID='BlueDaemon'
PSK='*******'

*******  password redacted

INTERFACE="eth0"
PROTO="static"
ADDRESS="10.0.0.10"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY=""

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2016, 06:09:20 PM »
INTERFACE="wlan0"
PROTO="static"
ADDRESS="192.168.1.244"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY="192.168.1.1"
SSID='BlueDaemon'
PSK='*******'

*******  password redacted

INTERFACE="eth0"
PROTO="static"
ADDRESS="10.0.0.10"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY=""

Replied in the other thread:  http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,4458.0.html

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2016, 08:35:25 PM »
As a follow-up to some of my other posts, I started a "Why" section in this thread under Reply #6.

Offline tmarshall

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2016, 04:02:23 PM »
Thank you very much for providing this guide. It is very organized and concise and is a great help.

Nonetheless, I am having difficulties. Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction.  I am trying to implement Option 1. I am starting with a very simplified network consisting of an Asus RT-AC68U router, a Raspberry Pi with a WiFi Adapter, and a Pixlite Controller.

I cannot access the Pixlite controller from the network. Hopefully someone can show me what I am doing wrong.

Here is my simplified network diagram:

I have set the Pixlite to a static IP address of 192.168.101.50 with a subnetmask of 255.255.255.0. It's ethernet port is physically connected to the ethernet port on the Pi.

I can access the Pi on wlan0 just fine. My wlan0 configuration via the FPP interface is as follows:

My eth0 configuration is as follows:

The static routes are setup in my router as follows:

Any ideas?

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2016, 04:18:19 PM »
Remove the gateway on the FPP's eth0 and then also make sure the Pixlite has a gateway configured of 192.168.101.1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tmarshall

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2016, 05:33:00 PM »
Remove the gateway on the FPP's eth0 and then also make sure the Pixlite has a gateway configured of 192.168.101.1.
I removed the gateway from the FPP's eth0. There is no option in the PixLite's interface to specify a gateway. The Pixlite does not have a web interface. Access to the controller settings is via their Advatek Assistant. I cannot access the PixLite via their Advatek Assistant. I can however, ping it and get a reply. I don't quite understand how I can get a reply if I cannot assign a gateway.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2016, 06:02:58 PM »
I can however, ping it and get a reply. I don't quite understand how I can get a reply if I cannot assign a gateway.
Because a "reply' knows where the original request came from.  Gateway is needed when a device inititiates the conversation.
Vixen3, FPP, F16v2, xL4

Offline tmarshall

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2016, 06:27:52 PM »
I got it working. It was probably working as soon as I took out the gateway from eth0. I still cannot access the controller setup UI using the Advatek Assistant, but I can send e1.31 data to it.

I will just have to connect directly up to the controller and temporarily change my router's subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 to make changes to the controller setup then change everything back.

Thanks guys!

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2016, 06:38:10 PM »
Because a "reply' knows where the original request came from.  Gateway is needed when a device inititiates the conversation.

A reply only knows the original source of the packet not the route the packet needs to take. Replies need a route just like any other packet. It is very common for the route to a host be different than a route from a host and for the route to even change between packets. Everybody only knows the next hop in the route not the full route.

In this case because the Pixlite is directly connected to the FPP, the FPP will see any packet put on the wire by the Pixlite and it will know what to do with the packet. This is very similar behavior to ProxyARP where the FPP advertises itself as the destination for anybody asking for a destination next hop via ARP. If there was a switch in-between the Pixlite and the FPP you would need to specifically turn on ProxyARP in the FPP to get the same behavior (echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/proxy_arp) since the switch would filter the traffic the FPP would see.

These statements were incorrect. See PixelPuppy's comments in the next couple of messages.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 09:32:33 AM by ThreeSizes »

Offline tmarshall

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2016, 06:55:28 PM »

A reply only knows the original source of the packet not the route the packet needs to take. Replies need a route just like any other packet. It is very common for the route to a host be different than a route from a host and for the route to even change between packets. Everybody only knows the next hop in the route not the full route.

In this case because the Pixlite is directly connected to the FPP, the FPP will see any packet put on the wire by the Pixlite and it will know what to do with the packet. This is very similar behavior to ProxyARP where the FPP advertises itself as the destination for anybody asking for a destination next hop via ARP. If there was a switch in-between the Pixlite and the FPP you would need to specifically turn on ProxyARP in the FPP to get the same behavior (echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/proxy_arp) since the switch would filter the traffic the FPP would see.

Good to know because, I may well want to control more than one PixeLite from the same Pi and have to introduce a switch.