Question: Selecting Playlist via BigButtons that will run only at night

Author Topic: Question: Selecting Playlist via BigButtons that will run only at night  (Read 547 times)

Offline smynatt77

• Kudos: 0
I have a scenario where I am planning to use FPP running on a Rasberry Pi B to control LED lighting that illuminates a watertower using DMX via a USB Dongle.

I have created several playlists (RED, GREEN, WHITE, etc) that each contain/reference a single sequence (RED, GREEN, WHITE).

The user then selects the Playlist/Color they want using the BigButtons plugin which calls a Script (PlaylistRepeating) for each button/color. 

My issue is that I would like the user to be able to select the desired color/playlist at any time using one of the BigButtons, then have that playlist/sequence only play during the nighttime hours (i.e. on at sunset and off at sunrise).

What is the best approach to have FPP accept and store the playlist/sequence selected by the user and then trigger it to turn on at a specific time and then turn off at a specific time each day.  If no new selection is made then the same playlist/sequence should run each night until a user selects a different playlist/sequence via the BigButton page.  Preferably I would like to have the playlist/sequence selection persist through power cycles/outages.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
Re: Question: Selecting Playlist via BigButtons that will run only at night
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 02:11:39 AM »
You should look at the "Forever Wreath" thread which is what inspired me to make the Big Buttons plugin, because that thread talked about this exact same use case.  Specifically, look at this post  http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,4340.msg45583.html#msg45583 which talked about using a script to copy a sequence file into place.

Rather than having the buttons start a playlist, you should schedule a generic playlist to run a generic-named sequence like TowerLights.fseq.  This way your playlist will always run on schedule.  You would use a script like in the link posted above to copy the desired playlist into place.  When you click Blue, then BlueTowerLights.fseq is copied over  top of TowerLights.fseq and the next time that sequence is played, the tower is blue.  When you click Red, then RedTowerLights.fseq is copied over TowerLights.fseq and the next time the sequence is played the tower is red, etc..
-
Chris

Offline smynatt77

• Kudos: 0
Re: Question: Selecting Playlist via BigButtons that will run only at night
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 08:01:59 AM »
Thanks Chris!

I will definitely read the Forever Wreath thread in detail.  Your approach seems like a much cleaner way of accomplishing what I am trying to do.   :D