Author Topic: Utility Poles Christmas Star Controllers  (Read 2330 times)

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
  • Kudos: 30
Re: Utility Poles Christmas Star Controllers
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2016, 04:56:26 PM »
Here is the aerial view of the village.  I marked up the with the number of stars and with the wireless tower that is owned by the village.

I took a look at the satellite view and the Street View for those roads and I don't think you'll have much issues running your own WiFi network for this. They are almost straight lines and nice line of sight, the bend is as you're headed out of town on Main St. The question is whether or not to invest in the PicoStations/NanoBeams or to try something like the FPP Mesh ideal a couple of us have had as a side conversion here. I'll draw something up later tonight on what the FPP Mesh might look like laid on top of your map.

"And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day."

Offline Blickensderfer

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2016, 05:03:57 PM »
OK.  thank you for the time you are putting to this.
Dan Blickensderfer

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 12
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2016, 07:16:28 AM »
I like it, I like it... :)   This would make a lot of MultiSync users happy if something like this were possible.

I think something like the attached drawing is doable with the components I have in place. The Hotspot and Bridge modes are already in place, the Repeater mode would need to be implemented but all the components are already there, it would be a hybrid of the Access Point and Bridge modes and you'd need to be able to have two USB WiFi adapters which shouldn't be an issue.

Once we work out all the kinks in the current version of the patch with Bridge, Access Point, and Hotspot, we can take a deeper look at doing this.

WOW!  WOW!! WOW!!!  Is this part of what's in the works for FPP 2.0?  As a MultiSync user, this would definitely make me (and my wife and my neighbors) very happy if this diagram means what I think it means.  Will try to wait patiently (but it will be hard  :) ).  Can't thank you all enough for the effort you all put in to this hobby.
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)

This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2016, 07:27:11 AM »
some info on broadband-hamnet to use this will need a Amateur Radio lic.   http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/documentation/148-legal-information-regarding-hsmm-mesh.html
Jerry Plak

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2016, 08:31:23 AM »
I like it, I like it... :)   This would make a lot of MultiSync users happy if something like this were possible.

I think something like the attached drawing is doable with the components I have in place. The Hotspot and Bridge modes are already in place, the Repeater mode would need to be implemented but all the components are already there, it would be a hybrid of the Access Point and Bridge modes and you'd need to be able to have two USB WiFi adapters which shouldn't be an issue.

Once we work out all the kinks in the current version of the patch with Bridge, Access Point, and Hotspot, we can take a deeper look at doing this.

WOW!  WOW!! WOW!!!  Is this part of what's in the works for FPP 2.0?  As a MultiSync user, this would definitely make me (and my wife and my neighbors) very happy if this diagram means what I think it means.  Will try to wait patiently (but it will be hard  :) ).  Can't thank you all enough for the effort you all put in to this hobby.

I might have something working with my patch to 1.7 I already have out there for people to test in the very near future. The more I think about it the more "easier" it seems and the more I want to see if I can make work.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2016, 01:08:41 PM »
Here is the aerial view of the village.  I marked up the with the number of stars and with the wireless tower that is owned by the village.

Here's what I came up with using the possible FPP mesh.  Each green/red dot are wreaths, the red ones acting as the WiFi repeaters. The spacing of the wreaths in my drawing is ~206ft on Main and ~115ft on Walnut. Each grey circle represents an approximation of WiFi range (~500ft). These are just for this academic exercise and of course your spacing and range will vary. You'll need to do real world testing and figure out good actuals. Each only requirement is "red" wreaths need to be within the overlay area of the next "red" wreath over.

When I was doing this I was thinking you'd need more of the PicoStations for this layout than I originally suggested. The slight advantage for the PicoStations is that the PicoStations do not need to be within the overlap of another PicoStation since they are uplinked seperately so the spacing of the PicoStations can be much farther apart. You could also considering uplinking the PicoStations via the Town's tower (LiteBeam AC AP & LiteBeam AC) if you have good line of sight from each location with a PicoStation. The other thought with PicoStations are you are not limited to just using FPP/Pi for each wreath, you could use something like the ESPixelStick with MultiCast E1.31 from a single FPP. So you would have more options. And in the Spring/Summer months you can provide WiFi internet to the town. ;)