Raspberry Pi 3?

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 3?  (Read 7737 times)

Offline Skunberg

• Kudos: 0
Re: Raspberry Pi 3?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 08:45:42 PM »
Micrometer by me has the Pi zero in a kit with a few cables and wall wart.

Offline rlemery

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 08:53:53 PM »
Received my Pi 3 from MCM yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

728 lor channels
5492 pixels

Offline Materdaddy

• Kudos: 10
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 09:50:48 PM »
I think the 2.5A is for peripherals the Pi isn't using 25 watts itself.  This version allows better pass through to peripherals I think.  A 2A should work fine unless you are maxing out the USB ports and have something on the GPIO header.

I checked today and no update on my mcm order.  :(

Same with my order.  However, I do have one in-hand now.  Thanks ThreeSizes!.  Hopefully I'll be updating the installer tonight.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 09:58:09 PM »

I think the 2.5A is for peripherals the Pi isn't using 25 watts itself.  This version allows better pass through to peripherals I think.  A 2A should work fine unless you are maxing out the USB ports and have something on the GPIO header.

Not sure where I got 25 from, of course I meant 12.5.  (5 x 2.5). Either way the Pi isn't using that much itself.  I think the Pine64 uses the same CPU as the Pi v3 and the pine64 claims only 2.5W power utilization.  http://wiki.pine64.org/images/1/1d/Power_Consumption.jpg
-
Chris

Offline DMJPixel

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 05:08:55 AM »
FYI - MCM showing the Pi 3 in stock.  I also just realized I live about 15 miles from their warehouse/will call - going to order and see if I can pick up later today if they are really in the warehouse.

Offline Materdaddy

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 08:34:50 AM »
FYI - MCM showing the Pi 3 in stock.  I also just realized I live about 15 miles from their warehouse/will call - going to order and see if I can pick up later today if they are really in the warehouse.

I actually e-mailed them last night when I saw they're showing them in stock on their purchase page, but backordered on my account page.  I had a similar problem with the Pi2 taking well over a month when their sale page went through various stages of "preorder" and "in stock" all while I waited.

Offline bikr

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 08:53:20 AM »
Just a heads up.  I signed up for notifications of stock with  adafruit  https://www.adafruit.com/products/3055   

Within 24 hours I had an email stating it was in stock.  Ordered and it was at my door within 2 days. 

Worth a shot.

Is there a thread discussing FPP working on pi3?  Any advantages besides the onboard wireless over the old pi?  Super amped up.  This year will be my first display.

Offline DMJPixel

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 09:08:32 AM »

I actually e-mailed them last night when I saw they're showing them in stock on their purchase page, but backordered on my account page.  I had a similar problem with the Pi2 taking well over a month when their sale page went through various stages of "preorder" and "in stock" all while I waited.

Oh no...you are saying I shouldn't trust what I see on the 'net?  😀

I actually did believe what it said...I'm going to call in about an hour and see if my will-call is actually ready with all parts. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2016, 09:53:22 AM »
Is there a thread discussing FPP working on pi3?  Any advantages besides the onboard wireless over the old pi?  Super amped up.  This year will be my first display.

We are working on getting our FPP_Install.sh script updated to work on the Pi v3.  Normally this script is only used by developers to build the new SD images for new FPP releases, but we have had quite a few users use it to test new hardware before it was supported by an official release.

Offline Materdaddy

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 10:11:10 AM »
Oh no...you are saying I shouldn't trust what I see on the 'net?  😀

No, it's all true.

I did check this morning and my order has been updated since last night.  It now says "Processing"!  There is hope!

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 10:14:50 AM »
I did check this morning and my order has been updated since last night.  It now says "Processing"!  There is hope!

Mine went from "backordered, expected ship date of 3/4/2016" to "processing" as well.  We'll see.  Jim got his email with tracking number from them, so that's one more "processed/shipped" that we can add to the list.

Offline bikr

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 10:18:55 AM »

Excellent, thank you!! 

We are working on getting our FPP_Install.sh script updated to work on the Pi v3.  Normally this script is only used by developers to build the new SD images for new FPP releases, but we have had quite a few users use it to test new hardware before it was supported by an official release.

Offline ggusta

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2016, 01:05:30 PM »
At my age now, I am thrilled to be the kid at Christmas!  Getting so everything is either too hard to do, can't do because of health, or can't remember long enough to do it!
Heck getting a new toy in the mail every now and then is the only fun left pretty much!

I hear you. It is an improvement, spec-wise, over p2, but I can wait. Would like usb 3 and some more ram. perhaps pi4 will be the one! that will be a nice Christmas!!

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2016, 02:40:50 PM »
Thank you for your recent order with MCM Electronics
This email is to confirm that your order Raspberry Pi 3 has shipped today  ;D
Jerry Plak

Offline DMJPixel

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2016, 03:03:08 PM »
Picked up my will-call including the Pi's!  That place is pretty cool, about 15 or so miles from my place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk