Author Topic: Programming SSCs using FPP?  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Travailen

• Kudos: 0
Programming SSCs using FPP?
« on: November 20, 2013, 09:04:04 PM »
It is possible to program SSCs V3 using a FPP in bridge mode connected to an FPD connected to a DLA hub? It would seem that setup would work the same as an EtherDongle and a hub.

Rick S

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 63
Re: Programming SSCs using FPP?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 09:21:06 PM »
At this time it is only possible if you set the universe count to 1, start address 1, count 512 and type of that universe to multicast in universe setup in FPP and stop then restart FPPD.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline dduck

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 10:01:34 PM »
Can I use this same method to program my ssc-v4?   I will not have a
pixelnet USB till next week sometime.   Am aware I would have to use the DLA software as
well regardless.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 10:28:43 PM »
Can I use this same method to program my ssc-v4?   I will not have a
pixelnet USB till next week sometime.   Am aware I would have to use the DLA software as
well regardless.

I have never tried.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 02:44:09 AM »
At this time it is only possible if you set the universe count to 1, start address 1, count 512 and type of that universe to multicast in universe setup in FPP and stop then restart FPPD.

It should now work even if you do not set the universe to one. Also FPD now should work in bridge mode with LOR. Falcon PI Player needs to be updated not the FPD.

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 09:01:41 PM »

It should now work even if you do not set the universe to one. Also FPD now should work in bridge mode with LOR. Falcon PI Player needs to be updated not the FPD.

When using v1.0.9 and going from PI->FPD->Hub, is the above limitation (not universe, but start address and count) still in effect?
Also, after a successful programming, should the light string flash any pattern? I am trying with a SSCv3 (jumper OFF), falcon firmware, flex string, but I am not seeing anything happening when pushing the 'program' button.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 09:15:25 PM »

When using v1.0.9 and going from PI->FPD->Hub, is the above limitation (not universe, but start address and count) still in effect?
Also, after a successful programming, should the light string flash any pattern? I am trying with a SSCv3 (jumper OFF), falcon firmware, flex string, but I am not seeing anything happening when pushing the 'program' button.

At this time yes.

You would put FPP in bridge mode, 1 universe, count = 512, Start address = 1. Unicast or Multicast does not matter. If programming is successful the leds should turn a rainbow pattern.

Offline fyb2000

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 10:12:07 PM »

At this time yes.

You would put FPP in bridge mode, 1 universe, count = 512, Start address = 1. Unicast or Multicast does not matter. If programming is successful the leds should turn a rainbow pattern.

After a quick teamviewer session with David (thanks!!!) every thing is working fine. Just to be thorough the above manipulation is done from the FPP control page (your browser pointing to 192.168.0.10, or whatever address your PI is at). There you select 'E1.E31 universes' from the third drop down menu (output setup). Even if you have already your setup set there, input 1 in the first box (Universe count) and push 'Set'.  Only one entry should show up at this point, showing 1 universe, starting at 1, with a size of 512. As David said, unicast or multicast should not matter. Before exiting this page, make sure to save by selecting the 'save' button.
Once this is done, go back to the status page (First drop down menu 'Status/Control'->Status page)
If the FPPD was not stopped before doing the above manipulation, please stop it (by pushing the 'Stop FPPD' button) and restart it (by pushing the same button, that should have changed to 'start FPPD').
The PI is now setup to be able to program your SSCv1/2/3 through a FPD->HUB. Launch the SmartString Grouping (current version v1.0.9) and do the programming of the SSC. When successful (you might have to push the program button twice before it 'takes' it), the attached string, if you have one, should show a rainbow pattern, with different colors every 5 pixels.
Reset your E1.E31 output to its original values once you are done programming all your SSCs.

Note 1: The above manipulation should not be necessary with forthcoming version of the SmartString Grouping software, but works like a charm for the current version v1.0.9
Note 2: The FPP mode has to be 'Bridge Mode' for programming SSCs

I won't be able to say it enough: Thanks David.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 08:30:10 AM by fyb2000 »

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 10:34:59 PM »

At this time yes.

After a quick teamviewer session with David (thanks!!!) every thing is working fine. Just to be thorough the above manipulation is done from the FPP control page (your browser pointing to 192.168.0.10, or whatever address your PI is at). There you select 'E1.E31 universes' from the third drop down menu (output setup). Even if you have already your setup set there, input 1 in the first box (Universe count) and push 'Set'.  Only one entry should show up at this point, showing 1 universe, starting at 1, with a size of 512. As David said, unicast or multicast should not matter. Before exiting this page, make sure to save by selecting the 'save' button.
Once this is done, go back to the status page (First drop down menu 'Status/Control'->Status page)
If the FPPD was not stopped before doing the above manipulation, please stop it (by pushing the 'Stop FPPD' button) and restart it (by pushing the same button, that should have changed to 'start FPPD').
The PI is now setup to be able to program your SSCv1/2/3 through a FPD->HUB. Launch the SmartString Grouping (current version v1.0.9) and do the programming of the SSC. When successful (you might have to push the program button twice before it 'takes' it), the attached string, if you have one, should show a rainbow pattern, with different colors every 5 pixels.
Reset your E1.E31 output to its original values once you are done programming all your SSCs.

Note 1: The above manipulation should not be necessary with forthcoming version of the SmartString Grouping software, but works like a charm for the current version v1.0.9
Note 2: The FPPD mode has to be 'Bridge Mode' for programming SSCs

I won't be able to say it enough: Thanks David.

Very good explanation. He is now Falcon Christmas official spokesperson. Seriously, very precise. I would add that until Smart String Version 1.0.10 comes out I would not use unicast use mulitcast only. I may be putting the two control panels into one. So Falcon 16/8 software and SSC Cotrol panel may be combined to create only one Falcon Software.

Offline PittFan

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 04:59:22 PM »
I know, people aren't really doing this much anymore however, I still am and need to update the programming of some micro Controllers.

I have never been able to program controllers using my FPP even if I tried the above.

So... I brought out my EtD which has always worked for me until now  :(

My question is.  Does anybody remember the IP address for the EtD?  Or is that assigned dynamically?  I can't remember if I set up the network or it just created its own?

I'm currently getting two options when I set communication method to EtherDongle using versio 1.0.12 of the Falcon microSC Programmer.

and

My network settings are currently set to "set up IP address automatically"

Thanks in advance.

Online JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 84
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 06:50:31 PM »
Etherdongles used Multicast to be addressed. Not quite the same as assigning an IP address to the device.

Offline PittFan

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 06:29:36 PM »
Oh well.  I went even more old school and pulled out my USB pixel net dongle and it worked.

Offline jskier

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 06:47:22 PM »
I had issues when trying to use EtD with Windows 10.  Moved back to Windows 7 and networking worked once again.  EtD used 239.55.0.x  .. Windows 10 would not send data on 239.x.x.x  would not allow me to set the IP there either.  I'm sure there is a way to tell win 10 to allow setting to multicast IP... I simply have not found it.,