Author Topic: Mega Tree using HC or Boscoyo Strips  (Read 3435 times)

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
Re: Mega Tree using HC or Boscoyo Strips
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 09:58:06 PM »
I tried both the HC clear strips and Boscoyo white strips last year.  The Boscoyo strips held up well.  The HC clear strips became brittle and broke when I put them away for storage.  I will be replacing all the HC with Boscoyo this year.
Here is a pic with the base of my megatree in it.  I secured the 1/2" pvc to the ground with anchors.  Then used mini 10"bungee cords to hold onto the strips.  My pixels start where you see the horizontal strip holding the verticals together.  It's about 30" above the ground.

Offline djmc2002

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 09:47:06 PM »

I tried both the HC clear strips and Boscoyo white strips last year.  The Boscoyo strips held up well.  The HC clear strips became brittle and broke when I put them away for storage.  I will be replacing all the HC with Boscoyo this year.
Here is a pic with the base of my megatree in it.  I secured the 1/2" pvc to the ground with anchors.  Then used mini 10"bungee cords to hold onto the strips.  My pixels start where you see the horizontal strip holding the verticals together.  It's about 30" above the ground.

Why do people use bungee cords at the bottom vs just directly staking them to the ground? 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline jeff

• Kudos: 1
  • Howdy!
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 11:01:17 PM »
I use to directly stake, but am adopting an ASAP pole this year (with bungee cords at the bottom) so I can tension the strips so they're straight instead of sagging.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 36
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 08:44:05 AM »
As someone else posted on another forum, Friends don't let other friends buy non Boscoyo strips.  Remember this also, Boscoyo invented the strips.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline markrvp

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 12:24:46 PM »

Why do people use bungee cords at the bottom vs just directly staking them to the ground? 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The bungee cords do a great job of keeping the strips tensioned.  Makes it look nice and neat.

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 3
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 04:23:25 PM »
I'm wanting to use these strips for a single-stranded, "spiral" treee, maybe 6-7' tall.

How "rigid" are these strips?  For example, how tight of a circle can you bend the strip into, before it would snap or deform?

How far apart can your support-wire be, before these strips would start to sag (if the strips/LED are supported horizontal)?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 05:30:05 PM by Bwinter »

Offline MikeKrebs

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 07:51:58 AM »
I'm wanting to use these strips for a single-stranded, "spiral" treee, maybe 6-7' tall.

How "rigid" are these strips?  For example, how tight of a circle can you bend the strip into, before it would snap or deform?

How far apart can your support-wire be, before these strips would start to sag (if the strips/LED are supported horizontal)?
The strips are not rigid. Very flexible. You can see in the pix above they bend back on themselves. I would not mount them horizontally without frequent support (every foot or so).

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 72
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 10:33:18 AM »

There are many regularly spaced holes along the strips where you could thread a wire. If you wanted a horizontal presentation, you could then tighten that wire pretty tight and not get much droop.

The strips will not make corners or aches and stay flat.

Offline deacon

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2016, 07:42:34 PM »
As someone else posted on another forum, Friends don't let other friends buy non Boscoyo strips.  Remember this also, Boscoyo invented the strips.

These are words to live by, buy Boscoyo or don't even buy at all! But really, Boscoyo is the way to go. I wouldn't use anything other than his strips and Coro props.

Offline danj

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2016, 08:19:31 PM »
I have used the orange "auger" type of hold down anchors for my guy wires; I have a Home Depot really close to my house so it is really convenient to get stuff there....   They are really solid anchors.

Offline ryanjennings

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 12:25:44 PM »
Here is a calculator that may help with your diameter questions.

Ed   :)

http://www.altoonalights.com/mega/mega_calc.php

That seems to be gone, but I found another.

https://www.lightshowhub.com/tools/mega-tree-calculator

Offline ryanjennings

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 03:48:42 PM »
I am getting ready to build my first mega tree. 

I have a question on the Boscoyo strips.  How do they do in wind?  My tree will likely be openly exposed to 50mph wind.  It seems like the strips would flutter in the wind and give me trouble with wires and joints fatiguing.  Has anyone run into trouble or am I worried about nothing?

Thanks for the help,
Ryan

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 36
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 06:08:31 PM »
I have 3 trees using Boscoyo strips.  I have not noticed a permanent issue caused by wind.  Ond day I was outside and I saw tree swaying from the wind, thought it was going to blow over, but all was good.  I don't think the strips "flutter" or move around anymore than my old led strings did.

Offline danj

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2017, 08:12:17 PM »
I am using Boscoyo products; his stuff is top notch.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 11:38:37 PM »
One thing that we did was to do a "basket weave" horizontally through the strips about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way up the tree.  This stopped all flutter of the individual strips.