Author Topic: LOR and Raspberry Pi  (Read 2351 times)

Offline JMHaro

• Kudos: 0
LOR and Raspberry Pi
« on: March 31, 2016, 07:21:43 AM »
Hi,
I've been running a LOR system for a very long time now but I have a question concerning a Raspberry Pi since this is new to me and not sure what all I can do with it.  My system runs straight LOR commands and I may be moving into E1.31 this next season to support a new Pixcon16.  But I'm not ready to abandon the LOR side as of yet since I'm very comfortable with it.

If I have a video stored on a Raspberry Pi device, would it be possible to have my LOR sequence to somehow trigger the Raspberry Pi to start playing a video to a connected device (projector) on demand?  I was just wondering if this would be an alternate method of getting a video to a projector rather than directly from the computer running the LOR sequence?  If this is possible, could you give me as much information (or links) as possible on how to do it and what is needed to set it up.  Thank you,
 Mike

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 140
Re: LOR and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 08:33:20 AM »
FPP can output the LOR protocol so you could use FPP to play your sequences and the video.  We have several users using FPP with LOR protocol devices.

If you don't want to play your show using FPP yet, FPP can be triggered externally using either E1.31 or a GPIO input.
-
Chris

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 63
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 09:17:47 AM »
Also the F16V2 controller can be a direct replacement for PixCon controller. It has many, many more features for less money.

Pixelcontroller.com/store
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline tripplett

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 09:25:00 AM »
I don't run LOR's sequencer for my show and I'm no master at converting LOR to XLights to play on FPP.  However you could import your LOR sequences into XLights, add video, and save as fseq files that will run on the Falcon Player (FPP). 

At the beginning of 2016 I did do exhaustive testing with smaller LOR and XLights sequences converted and then played on FPP with the LOR hardware and dongles.  I did this because I have many friends that are heavy LOR users and they wanted to convert over to playing their LOR sequences from FPP on a Raspberry Pi.  One has about 24 LOR controllers in his show so this will be an interesting year for him.  He could keep sequencing in LOR and convert to fseq through XLights every year or he can just commit and do future sequencing in XLights - his choice.  XLights has at least 3 ways to convert/import/use Light O Rama sequencing so it's very flexible.

In the attached picture I have one Master FPP Pi on the left (Pi Model B) driving one LOR controller with the USB485 dongle.  On the right is a Remote FPP Pi B+ running wirelessly and driving a USB485B dongle to another 16 channel controller.  This worked great by the way.  You can drive up to 9 LOR 16 channel controllers on each Raspberry Pi and you can have almost unlimited Remote Pis.  The only reason I ran just one 16 ch controller off of each Raspberry Pi was just for testing.  I could have just as easily chained the second LOR controller off of the first one.  Just some food for thought.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:31:17 AM by tripplett »

Offline JMHaro

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 07:59:08 AM »
Thanks all for the information.  I may definitely look into the Falcon player since this might give me more time for now to do it.

Offline boston_waterproofer

• Doing it for DAD
    • canalefacebook
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 04:20:20 PM »
how did you setup the USB485B dongle I have setup on ip in other and not connecting to controller
do I need to setup channel config also
Ken Canale
CanaleChristmas http://www.canalechristmaslights.com/
https://www.facebook.com/canalechristmaslights/photos

10 LOR1602 , 2 pixlite 16 , 1 AlphaPix 4
4 ECG-P2 , 1 ECG-P12R
soon to come falcon F16V3

Offline boston_waterproofer

• Doing it for DAD
    • canalefacebook
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 05:54:18 PM »
I figured it out I had the LOR dongle plugged in with E1.31 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline JMHaro

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 08:07:35 PM »
In the attached picture I have one Master FPP Pi on the left (Pi Model B) driving one LOR controller with the USB485 dongle.  On the right is a Remote FPP Pi B+ running wirelessly and driving a USB485B dongle to another 16 channel controller.  This worked great by the way.  You can drive up to 9 LOR 16 channel controllers on each Raspberry Pi and you can have almost unlimited Remote Pis.  The only reason I ran just one 16 ch controller off of each Raspberry Pi was just for testing.  I could have just as easily chained the second LOR controller off of the first one.  Just some food for thought.

Hey, I know this was from last year, but if you are still monitoring this, I was wondering about the USB485 dongle.  I know you were showing the box, but I have the small USB485 adapters (red and black ones).  Can they be hooked up directly to the Raspberry Pi USB port to directly run the LOR controllers?  Is there any configuration changes needed on the Pi to support them?

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 10:59:13 AM »
No changes. Just select the USB as the output in FPP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk