Author Topic: Setting up controllers in multicast  (Read 855 times)

Offline ebrown19721972

• Kudos: 1
Setting up controllers in multicast
« on: April 14, 2016, 06:23:30 AM »
I will have a couple of f16v2r's in my show this year. I plan on using multicast. I am new to networking and do not know much about it. Lets say I have 48 universes stretched over 3 f16v2's. Lets say 16 universes per controller. Universe 1-16 on my first controller and 17-32 on my second and 33-48 on my last. All I truly need to remember when running multicast is that I have the universes defined on each controller correct? Say my first controller uses a universe per port. Port 1 universe 1 and so on and so forth? My second controller would be port 1 universe 17 and so on and so forth correct? This will not be my setup but to simplify my question I wanted to make sure I have somewhat of an understanding how it works. Multicast sends the same info to each controller and depending on how the controller is set up will depend on what the controller will do with that information. Am I on the right track here? A little insight would be appreciated. Thanks to everyone for helping.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 40
Re: Setting up controllers in multicast
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 08:23:11 AM »
I will have a couple of f16v2r's in my show this year. I plan on using multicast. I am new to networking and do not know much about it. Lets say I have 48 universes stretched over 3 f16v2's. Lets say 16 universes per controller. Universe 1-16 on my first controller and 17-32 on my second and 33-48 on my last. All I truly need to remember when running multicast is that I have the universes defined on each controller correct?

There is a little more to it than that.  You also need to make sure that the universes are properly defined in FPP as well.  How you define the universes in FPP will determine what data is in each universe being sent to the controllers.

Say my first controller uses a universe per port. Port 1 universe 1 and so on and so forth? My second controller would be port 1 universe 17 and so on and so forth correct?

That would be correct. 

This will not be my setup but to simplify my question I wanted to make sure I have somewhat of an understanding how it works. Multicast sends the same info to each controller and depending on how the controller is set up will depend on what the controller will do with that information. Am I on the right track here? A little insight would be appreciated. Thanks to everyone for helping.

That's not exactly how it works.  Multicast E1.31 defines a specific multicast address for each universe being sent out.  When FPP outputs the show data, it uses the E1.31 definitions that you created to package the selected channels into packets with the multicast addresses specific to the universe numbers you defined for those channels and sends them out.  When you define a controller to work with specific universes, it looks for the multicast addresses assigned to those universes and directs the data from them to the ports you defined them to on the controller. 

Keep in mind that multicast packets are invasive and you will probably need to create a separate physical "show" network to keep these packets from flooding your your home network.