Author Topic: How to use Resolume Arena Video output (Artnet) with Falcon V2 (E1.31)?  (Read 2606 times)

Offline b33son

• Kudos: 0
Is there a software or a hardware solution to converting Artnet to E1.31 that works well? I have both an e682 and a Falcon and I'd like to be able to use my Falcon as well with Resolume Arena which can only output Artnet.

Also, does anyone know if "DMX PRO" means Artnet in Vixen 3? I've always used E1.31 in the past so Artnet is all new to me.

Offline b33son

#bump!

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 42
I don't know what Resolume Arena is so I can't answer that question.  As for DMX PRO, that is for the DMX dongle type that you are driving.  There are basically two types of DMX dongles that are used in our lighting world.  One is the open dongle and that dongle is really nothing more than a protocol converter.  This dongle requires the input device to set the timing and create the data packets.  All it really does is put the data stream in the wire.  The PRO dongle OTOH, does all of the heavy lifting.  All it requires from the input device is a stream of channel values and it creates the data packets, sets the timing, and puts it on the wire.  Why do you need to output Artnet and why do you need to convert it to E1.31?

Offline neilric99

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
DMX PRO in Vixen most likely refers to a USB interface like the Enttec pro. this contains electronics to handle the dmx framing rather than your pc having the handle it.

I think the F16V2 only supports E1.31 for both the bridge and outputs in the current release.

Resolume Arena is a media server and can drive a led wall over the ethernet and Output and Receive DMX via Artnet and Enttec USB devices.

So if your sequencer lets you output Artnet you can drive Resolume Arena using the dmx effects (same goes from driving Madrix). I remember talking about adding open DLA to FPP to support this last year, not sure how far that got though.

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 157
So if your sequencer lets you output Artnet you can drive Resolume Arena using the dmx effects (same goes from driving Madrix). I remember talking about adding open DLA to FPP to support this last year, not sure how far that got though.

FPP supports using OLA to send ArtNet, but FPP does not currently support OLA input to receive Artnet.  This is on my TODO list, but it is below a bunch of other items so it probably won't happen this year.
-
Chris

Offline b33son

Why do you need to output Artnet and why do you need to convert it to E1.31?

Resolume Arena is only able to output Artnet. There's no support for E1.31, so as of right now, I can only use Artnet on the e682 and I can't send at all to my Falcon V2.

FPP supports using OLA to send ArtNet, but FPP does not currently support OLA input to receive Artnet.  This is on my TODO list, but it is below a bunch of other items so it probably won't happen this year.

It would be great to get support for input DMX/Artnet with FPP. I'm planning to use Raspberry Pi/Pixel Hat for wireless receivers for LEDs on performers/dancers.

I currently have a large LED video display. That runs using video output from Resolume Arena 5. I'm now adding LEDs to the truss and certain elements around the LED Video display. I've successfully gotten Resolume Arena to output Artnet/DMX to the e682. Works really great. However, I wanted to add the ability to overlay some sequences. This could be done from Vixen, but only if I can get DMX/Artnet to output correctly since I can't switch to E1.31 on the board and still communicate with Resolume.

Based on your input, I believe Open DMX is what I'm supposed to use, but oddly it's not working.

Here's what I'm building...

Offline b33son

Offline b33son

I'm still looking for a way to convert Artnet into E1.31. If anyone has any ideas, it'd be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Online David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 63
I will add Artnet to F16V2. I need to finish shipping them than I will look into it. I do not foresee it being to hard to implement a subset of the protocol to allow reception of data.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline Mac Hosehead

I'm still looking for a way to convert Artnet into E1.31. If anyone has any ideas, it'd be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

OLA can convert Artnet to E1.31 on a universe basis. I am told the limit to this is 4 universes which is a limitation of Artnet inputs.

http://opendmx.net/index.php/Open_Lighting_Architecture