Author Topic: "Frameless" P10 panels  (Read 2028 times)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 63
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: "Frameless" P10 panels
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2016, 12:04:37 PM »
I just bought a clear shower curtain from Walmart for $5.  Going to try that for the front of my 4x4 matrix.  It is 70" x 71".  Does not say how thick, but it appears to be plenty clear enough.
Exactly! You could cut several covers out of that.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 10:20:23 AM »
and now, the software side of multiple panels.

With one Frameless 3x3 panel built (but not wired quite yet), I moved on to how will I display something cohesive on multiple panels.

The answer in xLights is Model Groups. Attached you will find my setup for four identical 3x3 panels, stacked Top Left, Top Right, Bottom Left and Bottom Right.  That ends up making a 6x6 matrix that would be about 6.5 feet wide and 3.25 feet tall. Pretty good size. Because it would be four smaller modules, you can imagine it being a LOT easier to transport. Setup would involve stacking, securing them together and plug in. Since each would be driven by their very own BBB/Octoscroller or RasPi Matrix Hat, they would each have the same FSEQ file and would only display "their" section of channels. They will be kept in sync, within one frame, by the FPP Multisync protocol. To get audio output, you will need a Fifth FPP as master and then Four Remotes since audio is disabled when driving P10 panels.

Anyway, I modeled this up pretty quickly today. Four identical models with non-overlapping channels. This 6x6 display takes a full 108 Universes of channels. Using a 2 minute MP4 file, xLights got both audio and video from the same file.

Create a new folder and put the rgbeffects file in it (I called mine Four P10s) and see how it works. (note - I deliberately left a tiny, single pixel line between panels. You can move them closer to remove it)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2016, 10:34:34 AM »
The MP4 file that I used for testing is linked here to my Google Drive. Hopefully you can download (it is just over 100mb). I call it Frozen Thriller because it is the characters from the movie, Frozen, dancing to part of Michael Jackson's Thriller. Unknown copyright concerns. I got it from a friend of a friend of a friend. :(

For this instance, add just the Model Group in the sequencing window. Don't bother with the individual models. The finished FSEQ file is only slightly larger than the original MP4 and has great resolution on a 6x6 P10 display.  Anyone going with an 8x8 would be even better, of course. (1,728 universes needed for an 8x8)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3iI74ULigJiZlRfSExRcV93c0E/view?usp=sharing

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 06:47:13 AM »
Weather proofing the frameless P10 panels.

I did finally get around to building two more frameless panels. They are both 18 panels, 3x6, but assembled and mounted to be Tall and Skinny (6ft tall, 1.5ft wide, approx). My build leaves the front of the P10s totally exposed to the elements, so to put them outside I needed "something" to weatherproof them.

That something came from WalMart. It is a heavy gauge vinyl, about $4 per yard, and is super clear and flexible. I used the same covering technique that I use to wrap Christmas Presents, using Gorilla brand Duct Tape instead of Scotch tape. While they have yet to live through a huge downpour of rain, they have been dew covered and frost covered several times. It took about 5 yards to cover both panels.

Since they are wireless (RasPi 3), the only wire exiting the enclosure is a power cord. As described earlier, my intent is to be able to stack these in larger arrays (these two could sit, side by side, and make a 6ft tall, 3ft wide display). When Grouped into the larger display by xLights, they synchronize very well. Or set one on top of the other and get 3ft tall by 6ft wide. Or put them end to end and get a 12ft long marquee. Since they have no "frame" there is virtually no gap between the panels.

Offline Phrog30

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 06:57:45 AM »
I use clear vinyl as well. It works great. And like you said, very cheap compared to other materials.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline tonyhight

• Kudos: 0
    • Hight Fantasy Lights
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 08:36:01 AM »
Weather proofing the frameless P10 panels.

I did finally get around to building two more frameless panels. They are both 18 panels, 3x6, but assembled and mounted to be Tall and Skinny (6ft tall, 1.5ft wide, approx). My build leaves the front of the P10s totally exposed to the elements, so to put them outside I needed "something" to weatherproof them.

That something came from WalMart. It is a heavy gauge vinyl, about $4 per yard, and is super clear and flexible. I used the same covering technique that I use to wrap Christmas Presents, using Gorilla brand Duct Tape instead of Scotch tape. While they have yet to live through a huge downpour of rain, they have been dew covered and frost covered several times. It took about 5 yards to cover both panels.

Since they are wireless (RasPi 3), the only wire exiting the enclosure is a power cord. As described earlier, my intent is to be able to stack these in larger arrays (these two could sit, side by side, and make a 6ft tall, 3ft wide display). When Grouped into the larger display by xLights, they synchronize very well. Or set one on top of the other and get 3ft tall by 6ft wide. Or put them end to end and get a 12ft long marquee. Since they have no "frame" there is virtually no gap between the panels.
This is great and giving me some ideas for mine this year. Can you post a pic of the final weatherproofed? Curious how it looks using the vinyl.

Tony Hight
http://www.hightfantasylights.com
http://www.Facebook.com/hightfantasylights

HightFantasyLights.com

--Tony Hight

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 07:02:31 PM »
These stand on the driveway, held in place by the aluminum wire.

The black duct tape seals the overlapping edges very well. As I said, they are wrapped like Christmas gifts.

A good, waterproof clear tape would probably look nicer. I had black Gorilla Tape.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:44:21 PM by JonB256 »

Offline steve hughes

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2016, 05:45:38 AM »
JonB ~ where is this "vinyl" hidden at the Walmart? or at least what section of the store? I can find clear shower curtain but not anything like you are talking about and I am seeing in your pictures/// Of course I will say that our "superWalmart" is in a small East Texas town (Jacksonville) so in comparison, it is probably smaller than yall's regular old fashioned Walmarts! :)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2016, 05:48:59 AM »
At my SuperDuperWalMart, it was in the Fabric section on horizontal rolls in a rack of 4 or 5 rolls of different textures and thicknesses of vinyl.
If your WalMart doesn't have a Fabric section, then you may be out of luck. Not all do, anymore. :(
(and I'm also in a small, Texas town, just south of FW)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 06:15:19 AM by JonB256 »

Offline steve hughes

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 06:34:42 PM »
thanks! it's back to the walmart we go!!

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 05:14:37 AM »
Steve, ever find the vinyl ?

Offline arw01

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 10:00:40 AM »
In the cold snap did you ever have an issue with condensation on the inside?

I had picked up some of that window winterization shrink film to do mine, but the matrix never made it out of the basement.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 01:35:35 PM »
In the cold snap did you ever have an issue with condensation on the inside?

I did get some very light condensation inside the vinyl next to the wood, not on the front over the panels or the rear. This was within a week of sealing them. After a week, I haven't seen it re-occur. This morning I had heavy dew on the outside but nothing on the inside.

As far as water tightness and moisture tightness, we haven't had a lot of rain this lighting season. I considered putting "Bud Industries" vents on top and bottom to allow some air circulation. They have an O-ring seal and can be rotated to keep their opening "down" if I change the panel orientation.