Author Topic: Need an EDM transmitter - Christmas Sale  (Read 3334 times)

Offline Bill Ellick

• Kudos: 1
    • Long Lake Lights
Re: Need an EDM transmitter - Christmas Sale
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 05:29:01 AM »
Good to hear.  Well if it is not a bother, then it really is not a problem!  ;D

Another nice thing to EDM credit.  They will help when you do need them.

Offline HobbyBroadcaster

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2016, 02:50:16 PM »
Just a follow-up on the (hopefully0 EDM transmitter review. It's coming up on two months and since I confirmed a ship-to address with EDM I haven't heard anything from them. I'm going to follow up with them directly to see if they're still interested in having their transmitter lab-evaluated. I'll share what I hear back when they get back in touch with me.

Offline Skunberg

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2016, 07:21:56 PM »
The people that ordered for this sale are just starting to receive them. This week one receive and a second received a shipping notice. Just a FYI

Offline HobbyBroadcaster

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 05:40:50 PM »
Update: I received a test sample from the folks at EDM, and I hope to get the review underway shortly. I have one other review I need to complete from a technical standpoint and then I'll be on the case to review the EDM for everybody.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 72
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 08:47:06 PM »
Update: I received a test sample from the folks at EDM, and I hope to get the review underway shortly. I have one other review I need to complete from a technical standpoint and then I'll be on the case to review the EDM for everybody.

Thanks for keeping on this. I am very interested in the results.  JonB

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Diamond Crescent Musical Christmas Lights
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 11:43:01 PM »

I'm interested as well to see what you find out... especially if you can put it into layman's terms. Which model did you get? If would have been nice to get an independent comparison review of the "consumer grade" versus the "audiophile" version. The consumer version sounded fine to me, but I guess I'm not an expert.

Offline HobbyBroadcaster

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »
I'm interested as well to see what you find out... especially if you can put it into layman's terms. Which model did you get? If would have been nice to get an independent comparison review of the "consumer grade" versus the "audiophile" version. The consumer version sounded fine to me, but I guess I'm not an expert.

I wasn't aware that there are two different versions of the same device. I know it's the TX-LCD series but is there something specific that differentiates between the consumer and audiophile version that's visible or otherwise identifiable?

Edit to update: Looking at the EDM website to examine the visible differences and the test specimen is the LCD-CS "Basic" version. I'll have to contact them to find out what the performance differences between the two models are.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 10:16:19 AM by HobbyBroadcaster »

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Diamond Crescent Musical Christmas Lights
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2016, 11:34:18 PM »
Well, it's explained in the specs, but I was wondering what your ears can tell between then. I certainly didn't hear a difference between direct audio versus what was broadcast over FM.

Offline HobbyBroadcaster

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2016, 03:26:36 PM »
Here's an excerpt of the response sent to me by the EDM engineering team:

The only real difference between the basic kit model and our flagship kit models is that the basic CS model has slightly higher audio THD figures which you can find on our specification page. Stability and RF/harmonic performance are almost the same. The CS has more phase-noise that lowers the SNR as can be expected. This model is the top seller with Christmas Light enthusiasts who don't want to use RDS with their displays. All models have a very robust RF output stage with excellent RF harmonic filtering as well as output stage static protection.

I'll include the full detailed explanation they sent when I publish the review of the CS-LCD.

edited
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:14:29 PM by HobbyBroadcaster »

Offline HobbyBroadcaster

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 04:54:28 PM »
I know it's been a bit over a month but I was busy working on a review for a broadcast periodical but I will be starting the review this coming weekend and hope to get the field testing performed before it gets way too cold to do this comfortably.

Offline HobbyBroadcaster

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »
Just an update: with life and work getting in the way I'm just about done with the review of the EDM and it should be available by the second week of February. There's some interesting and noteworthy items about this transmitter so I think it will definitely be worth the read.

Offline rstehle

• Kudos: -1
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2017, 11:24:52 AM »
HaHa, save your time.  Best bang for the buck professional sounding transmitter out there..........

Offline HobbyBroadcaster

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2017, 06:32:32 PM »
Well, it took a bit longer to post due to some family matters that required urgent attention but I'm happy to announce the review of the EDM-LCD-CS, the basic level of the EDM transmitter series, is now available on my site:

EDM Design EDM-LCD-CS FM Transmitter Review