Author Topic: New F4V2 Differential Expansion Board  (Read 4257 times)

Offline K-State Fan

• Kudos: 3
Re: New F4V2 Differential Expansion Board
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2017, 05:18:15 PM »
David, from the pic of the f4v2 differential board, is there a 3rd serial/rj45 port on the board to support the link from the main board?  How will it connect?

I only see 2 on the pic.

Looks like it plugs right on the F4V2 board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 63
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 05:18:32 PM »
It has a female 40 pin connector that connects directly to the F4V2 with no ribbon cable.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline PeteyHall

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2017, 07:53:29 AM »
Don't have much hope for this but here's an interesting use case I'm wondering about.

If I have a v3 running fpp remote mode. Off the v3 I've daisy chained a f4v2 off one of the v3's Ethernet ports and then off the f4v2 I've connected a 2 port expansion/received board, will there be lag to devices hanging off the receiver board if run from the v3?  just trying to map out some new displays and trying to maximize the adapters.

Thanks

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 42
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2017, 08:36:48 AM »
I'll never understand all this daisy chaining.  I put a Pi3 running as a slave with each controller and eliminated all the long data cables running all over my yard.  With advent of being able to run the V3 as a remote, it has become even easier to do.  I had 5 remotes last season and had planned on 7, but some props never got built and/or added to the sequences.  And it all worked great.  With some of the advances coming this year like using a Pi as a hotspot it will become even easier in the future.  I never worry about lag or unicast vs multicast anymore.  Just my commentary/opinion, YMMV.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline rstehle

• Kudos: -1
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2017, 11:27:21 AM »
Which didn't answer the posted question at all........ just sayin..........

Offline Broomy111

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2017, 12:44:00 AM »
I'll never understand all this daisy chaining.  I put a Pi3 running as a slave with each controller and eliminated all the long data cables running all over my yard.  With advent of being able to run the V3 as a remote, it has become even easier to do.  I had 5 remotes last season and had planned on 7, but some props never got built and/or added to the sequences.  And it all worked great.  With some of the advances coming this year like using a Pi as a hotspot it will become even easier in the future.  I never worry about lag or unicast vs multicast anymore.  Just my commentary/opinion, YMMV.

Hi Jim,

How do you have the remote Pi's connected to controllers in each of your boxes and how is it all networked? Last year I ran one Pi and had cable runs all over the place to each of the controllers running back to my network rack in the garage, so to minimize that would be great.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2017, 05:39:23 AM »

Hi Jim,

How do you have the remote Pi's connected to controllers in each of your boxes and how is it all networked? Last year I ran one Pi and had cable runs all over the place to each of the controllers running back to my network rack in the garage, so to minimize that would be great.
Jim also where is your router and do you notice any wifi issues with the Pi3?  My yard is very similar to yours and I'm trying to decide how to set it up.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2017, 10:20:20 AM »
I have a corner lot and I needed to get to the other side of the driveway to control my expansion into the side yard.  My wifi router is in a closet that is on the front wall of the house.  I have the router, the master pi (a B+) and the FM transmitter mounted on the wall of the closet.  I had 5 remote Pi3s with 4 in the front yard and 1 in the side yard for the 2016 show.  3 of the remotes were in marine battery boxes with an F16v2 with just a short ethernet cable from the Pi to the controller.  The other two where also in marine battery boxes but had a usb2rs485 adapter connected via USB and from the adapter to a DLA active hub and and F16v1.  The last two are pixelnet controllers and need the adapter.  I was a little worried about wifi signals, especially in the side yard since that Pi was essentially lined up with the front wall of the house where the other remotes were in the front yard with one sitting on the front porch.  However wifi was never an issue.  When taking some (crappy) video of my display from across the street and even diagonally across from the corner of my lot I had no problem starting and stopping the display using my phone.  Even during setup I could use my phone for FPP display testing from anywhere in my yard.  Even along the side of my house with the wifi signal having to go thru multiple walls and the garage.  My show wifi router is an old Dlink DIR655 which is dedicated to the show although since it is internet connected I use it with a tablet using wifi in the MBR on occasion since the home router does not give a great signal in the MBR.

Offline Broomy111

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2017, 10:43:45 AM »
Thanks Jim for the info. 

So your 3 remote Pi's are connected to your wifi, and then the ethernet cable to the Falcon.  So can you remote into the Falcon controllers with that set up and see all the devices on your network?  I haven't tinkered much with the Pi's and this type of set up.

Thanks

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2017, 06:15:09 PM »
All 5 remotes are connected via wifi.  I can remote into each of my F16v2s with no problem.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2017, 06:23:12 PM »
Thanks Jim for the info. 

So your 3 remote Pi's are connected to your wifi, and then the ethernet cable to the Falcon.  So can you remote into the Falcon controllers with that set up and see all the devices on your network?  I haven't tinkered much with the Pi's and this type of set up.

Thanks
Speaking for Jim, yes this setup you can see everything if you setup the routing so you can access the controllers hard wired to the Pi's. I had the same setup this year with 1 master and remote.