Author Topic: Introducing the Falcon NEO (PI Matrix Board)  (Read 18630 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Introducing the Falcon NEO (PI Matrix Board)
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2014, 02:58:49 PM »
You think you covered it all?  :)
I have another use case...

do you happen to recall some of the earlier arcade games (Sea Wolf comes to mind) where the TV screen was mounted at the bottom of the stand and a mirror was used to reflect the image back to the user?

I think they did this to provide more distance from the eyes to the illuminated surface.

So.. what if the panels could be displayed as a "mirrored" images of what the user perceives?

Ok...  a little far-fetched, but it looks like you are building an architecture where "anything" is possible - this is one more anything case. :)
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 17
« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2014, 05:23:49 PM »
My plan is to allow you to specify the dimensions of the layout and the orientation or the panels, so for a 'window-sized' matrix you might specify two wide by three high with vertical orientation of the panels (the 32-led side going up/down) OR you could build the same layout as one wide by 6 high with horizontal oriented panels.  Then once you specify the array width and height then you specify the orientation of each individual panel (ie, whether certain panels are upside down due to cabling requirements) and specify how the cabling goes to show which panels are daisy-chained.  This information will be enough for FPP to build an internal map of each LED in a virtual matrix and know where the incoming channel data needs to be stuffed into the output data array to send out to the Neo.  This plan should also support what I would non-complete matrices so you could have one Neo controlling what was essentially two separate sets of panels.  FPP only cares about channel mappings, the sequencer software would understand there was more than one matrix made up of those channels, or perhaps another scenario of a matrix with a 'hole' in it.  One example of this hole might be a triangle shaped matrix with the top row being 5 panels, second row 4 panels, third row 3 panels, fourth row 2 panels, and bottom row 1 panel with the left edge aligned.  Something line that might be used on a sloping yard or roof.

Awesome!

Or, the Triangle or Tree panel effect :) We are thinking of doing something like that for next year in the yard. We may or may not have seen it in someone else's display! :)

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 19
« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2015, 12:55:12 AM »
For ribbon cable length - top to bottom - across - bottom to top

Or 2 outputs top to bottom

Tony

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 124
« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2015, 07:32:35 PM »
You think you covered it all?  :)
I have another use case...

Ok...  a little far-fetched, but it looks like you are building an architecture where "anything" is possible - this is one more anything case. :)

Simple to achieve in code, but probably rarely if ever used in reality.  With video games, the user is close to the mirror, so the mirror can be near equivalent to the size of the matrix and the distance gained is only a foot or two at the most.  In a Christmas light show, that foot or two wouldn't help much if the mirror is close to the matrix, and the further away you get the matrix from the mirror, the larger the mirror has to be in order to allow the user to see it from anything other than a viewing window the exact size of the matrix.

I'll think about it more, but don't know if this would be used to make it worth complicating the code to achieve the ability.
-
Chris

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2015, 10:38:34 AM »
I also plan on looking at adding support for directly attaching at least one panel to the Pi for something stand-alone.  This could be a solution for those wanting to have a portable display on the back of their jacket as they walk around outside during show hours.  :)

Capt'n. If one were to wire a panel to the PI directly. Do you have some code to achieve this? Either in perl/python, etc. I'll experiment with it if you have it available.

I'm interested in what you may have. I liked your previous comment about hanging them under the gutters for a large matrix. Unfortunately my house has a peak in the front.. but thinking about a hanging internal matrix across the separate bay windows :0

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 124
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2015, 12:27:20 PM »
If one were to wire a panel to the PI directly. Do you have some code to achieve this? Either in perl/python, etc. I'll experiment with it if you have it available.

I have a working FPP Channel Output that can drive one P10 panel directly attached to the Pi.  I stopped working on it prior to Christmas to get my lights up and enjoy the holidays.  I need to finish the code by adding a setup UI as well as support for more than one panel and then I will commit it to the master branch.  I may be working on that soon since my 5V power supply and IDC connectors arrived over the holidays. :)

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2015, 10:37:35 PM »
Awesome:

I downloaded some code to drive the P10 with it directly connected. I can make things happen, but it requires a .ppm image file to scroll. I can also echo to a pipe, but it just puts the text up and that is all.

it was good enough for the moment to test out the message plugin that i was working on. to process the message queue.

My SMS plugin receives messages, puts them in the queue, and then my hacked together script for messages to drive the matrix , reads the message queue and puts it on the matrix (one p10 panel right now).

I'd be happy to help ya with the plugin setup if ya give me some background on what you need.