Author Topic: Tip for Boscoyo Arches and for Mini Trees  (Read 1591 times)

Offline L1011

• Kudos: 0
Tip for Boscoyo Arches and for Mini Trees
« on: September 10, 2016, 07:41:56 PM »
I bought the Boscoyo arches (large) knowing that I'd have to find a way to bend ten foot 1/2" EMT pipe to a six foot semi-circle. I didn't have the tools or know-how to bend EMT pipe so I thought I'd try flexible 1/2" plastic pipe from Lowe's.

Turns out that was a terrible idea.  >:(   Don't do that.  It was kludgy to work with and bent & twisted the Boscoyo arches.

I was going to scrap the arches this year but thanks to some fortuitous luck today I found the solution.

So, what's the tip?

Go to your local gardening center! 

Turns out arches are a popular gardening product and they sell 1/2" EMT pipe pre-bent for the exact radius needed for the large Boscoyo large arches.  They cost $7.99 and yes, that's quite a bit more than buying 10' straight EMT pipe from Lowe's.  But, if you're like me are don't have the tools needed to bend EMT pipe, it's money well spent!

Second tip: Tomato planters appear to make good mini-tree frames.  They're painted green and are about four feet tall (some are 6') and cost $5.99. 
Newbie for 2016 using FPP, F16v2r, F4v2, and WS2811 bullet pixels.

Offline Aesl1982

• Probation
Re: Tip for Boscoyo Arches and for Mini Trees
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 08:28:17 PM »
Ur supposed to use pvc with the boscoyo arches. The emt is for the cross bar. If your trying to attach the arch Coro then bend the pvc. Then that was the issue. I have 25 boscoyo arches and no issues using pvc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline L1011

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 08:43:23 PM »
Why can't I use EMT for the arch?  Using PVC still doesn't negate the problem of having to bend the PVC pipe to a perfect radius--something I don't know how to do, never mind not having the tool(s) to do this.  (I'm told you need to heat the PVC, using a pipe bender, etc..)

The plastic pipe I used was water pipe I guess and not PVC per se (it's similar to PVC but I don't recall the name of it).  It nearly ruined the Boscoyo coro because it wouldn't maintain the arch I was trying to achieve. the pre-bent EMT was much, much easier and fit perfectly.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 40
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 11:48:09 PM »
The water pipe that you used is called PEX and it is not going to work well trying to support the Boscoyo arch sections.  It is way to flexible for that and was created with that flexibility in mind.  You can use pre-bent EMT if you want to but there is the risk of the material shorting out your nodes, especially in wet weather.   It does make things easier if you can find it.  I don't remember ever seeing it in the big box stores but then again, I wasn't looking for it either.  You don't need bending equipment with the PVC method.  The idea is to glue a T connector to each end of the PVC pipe and then simply flex it into position using the EMT pipe to hold it that way.  It is easier on a hot summer day where the sun and heat softens the PVC enough to make flexing it easier. 

Offline Ed Slonka Jr

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 10:03:34 AM »
L10,

Take a look at the picture. Hopefully, that will shed some light on the arches.

Ed

Offline Phrog30

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 12:43:40 PM »
Why can't I use EMT for the arch?  Using PVC still doesn't negate the problem of having to bend the PVC pipe to a perfect radius--something I don't know how to do, never mind not having the tool(s) to do this.  (I'm told you need to heat the PVC, using a pipe bender, etc..)

The plastic pipe I used was water pipe I guess and not PVC per se (it's similar to PVC but I don't recall the name of it).  It nearly ruined the Boscoyo coro because it wouldn't maintain the arch I was trying to achieve. the pre-bent EMT was much, much easier and fit perfectly.
Heat, no you just bend it. It's a very simple process. I think you are over complicating this. You may have to tie a string in the middle to conform to the coro.

James

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline bravado67

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 05:04:27 PM »
Last year I used rebar for my anchors and it worked fine. I didn't need the cross bar.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline neilric99

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 08:39:03 AM »
Use 1/2" EMT for the cross bar and attach T connectors to end of 1/2" SCH 40 .   Make sure they are lined up and you can easily bend the sch 40 to an arch shape securing it in the Tee on each end. I had some problems using the blue pvc glue so now use the grey heavy duty version  especially on the 4ft arches as there is more strain on the joints.

Offline Aesl1982

• Probation
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 11:11:14 AM »
Use 1/2" EMT for the cross bar and attach T connectors to end of 1/2" SCH 40 .   Make sure they are lined up and you can easily bend the sch 40 to an arch shape securing it in the Tee on each end. I had some problems using the blue pvc glue so now use the grey heavy duty version  especially on the 4ft arches as there is more strain on the joints.
This is how I built mine except instead of glue I just used screws to secure it

Offline Phrog30

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 04:53:17 PM »
This is how I built mine except instead of glue I just used screws to secure it

Me too. I did that so I could take them apart. I never took them apart though, surprisingly, they fit through my attic access together.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Offline Aesl1982

• Probation
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 05:50:28 AM »
Here's a video of what mine look like no strings or molding. Or anything just emt screws to hold tees and pvc . https://vimeo.com/182534370https://vimeo.com/182534789

Offline jmaddox1

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 01:01:29 PM »
Went to Home Depot and was going to buy the materials, then got very confused.  I first picked up CPVC pipe, then saw the PVC pipe and noticed a huge difference in size (different way of measuring I guess.   After selecting the 1/2" PVC tees and 1/2" PVC pipe, I noticed the 1/2 EMT was considerably smaller in diameter than the PVC. The 3/4" EMT was way too big and would not fit into the PVC tee.  Just wanted to make sure I was looking at the right stuff.  I guess if you put a screw through the PVC Tee and jam the EMT to one side of the Tee opening, it should stay? 

Offline aknflyer

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 12:03:34 AM »
I did my arches as per the instructions. Conduit fits loosely into pvc, can even push it past the stop in the t if your not running wires inside the pipe. I just secured it with a single 1 1/4" self tapping screw ( I think that was the length) just long enough to barely poke through the other side. Seems very solid.
Note: I built mine with 2 tees so I could add an extra piece of conduit  for a base 90 degrees offset for the arch as shown in his demo video, thats not in the instructions.