Author Topic: My F4V2 + two x F8 Distro board enclosure builds  (Read 514 times)

Offline nutz4lights

• Kudos: 1
My F4V2 + two x F8 Distro board enclosure builds
« on: October 04, 2016, 04:30:54 PM »

Hey all,

Earlier this year, I decided to add a 4' x 7' pixel matrix to each of four front windows on our house.  I chose the PixNode net with 2" spacing from Holiday Coro.  Originally, I was thinking about controlling these from one or two Advatek PixLite16 controllers from the ground, but then started thinking about all of the cabling I would need.  I decided to go with a four output controller on each, which was right around the time the F4V2 was announced by David.  I ordered four and away I went.

Historically, I have used metal Wiegmann NEMA cases for all of my controller builds.  They're heavy duty, but also very heavy and very expensive.  I decided that for this build, I needed light-weight.  The Bud Industries enclosures seem to be popular around here and the other forums, so I got a NBF-32016 for testing and was very happy with the product.  I was easily able to fit the F4V2, two F8 Distro boards, and a single 350W power supply which would be more than enough juice to power 1,000 pixels.

The pictures below cover the build that I did.  Some details:  I use 1.5 meter, 13.5mm diameter pigtails from Ray Wu.  I buy all of my light strings with the pigtails already soldered on, so these are what I need.  The cables glands I use come from Cable Ties & More, the big ones (that can pass 16 cables through) are the NPT 1-1/4 size (left side of the case), the smaller one is a NPT 3/4.  I use RJ-45 waterproof feedthroughs that I get from Ray.  I get all of my Nylon standoffs and screws / nuts from Amazon.  I borrowed the approach for labeling cables from another local light enthusiast.  Electrical wiring labels from Home Depot with clear shrink tube to protect the label.  Great idea Dave! I chose 1/8" thick black ABS available on eBay to mount all of the controllers and such, again, another great recommendation from Dave (stallionent).  There's also a single Bud Industries vent on the face of the enclosure near where the power supply fan is located with the option to mount a fan (which I did).  Originally, I mistakenly put only one F8 Distro in the enclosure and then had to go back and increase the size of the gland hole and gland to allow 16 cables instead of 8... some of the pictures show the smaller gland.  I also goofed up the hole size on the RJ-45 feedthrough and had to fix it with some 1/16" white ABS sheet epoxy-glued into place.

I think that's it, thanks for looking.  Let me know of any questions.

-Louie

Offline nutz4lights

Re: My F4V2 + two x F8 Distro board enclosure builds
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 04:33:16 PM »

Offline markrvp

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 04:43:15 PM »
Looks great Louie!

Offline Bill Ellick

• Long Lake Lights
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 06:03:44 PM »
Well Louie, now we know what is keeping you off the. Streets at night!  Outstanding workmanship and forethought on the layout!  Great job.  They should serve very well for some time to come!
Part of the fun for me is to make the things like this that the people usually don't get to see but I love it when you get to show off the behind the scenes work and get that look on people's faces!
Priceless!

You will get that look with this setup for sure!  Congratulations.  ;D

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 07:57:10 PM »
Looks great!  8)

I have a question....
Will the boxes be mounted upright so the vent opening is pointed down?  And if so, does that mean your power supplies will be suspended above the controller by hanging on to one side only?
Vixen3, FPP, F16v2, xL4

Offline nutz4lights

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 07:48:40 PM »
Thanks everybody!  And thanks for the input / questions.  I do love building these types of projects...

Yes these will be mounted vertically and honestly, I didn't even think about the power supply being mounted above the controller... I did use some very nice metal screws for the power supply and the base is super sturdy ABS sheet... but that is definitely something I will keep an eye on...

-Louie

Offline jlowe

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 07:58:46 AM »
Look really good. What is the case that you are using for the controllers?

Edit: Clearly I can't read. Missed this info in the first post. Nevermind. Thanks for the detailed information!

Offline nutz4lights

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 05:19:18 AM »
Glad you found the info... long week at work = very little forum reading.

Louie

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 8
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 06:43:28 AM »
Nice build and post Louie.
There may be something there but I can't see where the air that is being vented is coming from.
You can call me AAH, you can call me Al, or you can call me Alan.
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Catalogue.pdf Catalogue of my blinky bits
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/