Author Topic: Programming Outputs to Correct Channels on Controllers  (Read 615 times)

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Diamond Crescent Musical Christmas Lights
Programming Outputs to Correct Channels on Controllers
« on: October 09, 2016, 11:47:32 PM »

Don't know if this is really the right place to post this, since my questions span the topic boundaries of Falcon Controllers, Pixelnet, and xLights...

I will have my F16-B controller outputting Pixelnet to two F16-V1 controllers (a total of less than 8192 channels at this point), and a few DMX Express and Aethers (planning on reserving channels 0 - 512) for my display this year.

I've pretty well finished my sequencing in xLights, and have my channels set up in there. The next step is to program the channel ranges for each output on my Pixelnet controllers. In a nutshell, what are the pitfalls of setting up the channels on my Falcons, keeping in mind that Pixelnet has 4096 channels per universe, xLights breaks them into groups of 512 channels, 512 divided by 3 is 170.66666..., so can the three channels for a pixel cross the boundaries of a universe? Any other things to keep in mind?

I'm asking for a bit of advice here ahead of time so I can do my planning in a spreadsheet and go in the right direction, rather than making incorrect assumptions and wasting hours of time...

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 42
Re: Programming Outputs to Correct Channels on Controllers
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 12:00:24 AM »
It depends on the universe type that you are talking about.  If you are talking about a software universe then sure, why not.  As long as the controller is linking these software universes together like the EDT and the F16-B does, what's the difference.  Where you cannot cross universes is with hardware universes because each universe is on its own port or wire pair and you can only connect 1 port or wire pair per string or controller.  As long as your channel count doesn't cross PixelNet universes, you should be fine. 

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Diamond Crescent Musical Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 10:29:27 PM »
So, to clarify, as long as I keep my two 4096-channel Pixelnet hardware universes separate (universe 1 for my house, and universe 2 for my bushes), it should be easy-peasy since I don't have to worry about one pixel (or string) on my bushes spanning over a 512 (or 510?) channel universe as it's defined in xLights?

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 42
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 07:47:02 AM »
That is correct and if you are using PixelNet there is no need to set the universe size to 510, it was designed to and works just fine with 512.