Author Topic: Expansion boards controlled by main board RJ45 outputs?  (Read 1178 times)

Offline BlackwolfK9

• Kudos: 0
Re: Expansion boards controlled by main board RJ45 outputs?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2016, 03:46:47 PM »
this is what I'm trying to get accomplished, but I can't get the string ports / serial port if I use it / or the receiver board configured to make it work right.  Right now if I put the board in test with the ethernet cable connected to the serial port #1, the 12 string matrix lights up, 1st arch of the 2 group and the first candy cane.  Nothing else comes on.

Offline Michael

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2016, 04:38:46 PM »
1.  The Cat5 goes from the expansion board, to the receiver board. (You do not connect serial from the main board to the receiver board.)
2.  Your F16V2 port mode needs to be updated to show 32 ports.  (Right now it says main board only.  Change this setting)
3.  You might need to make changes to the E131 page.  Can you post that screenshot?

Do the strings work if you connect directly to the main board?

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 05:09:27 PM »
You can also call me. Number on PixelController.com
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline Aesl1982

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 06:19:07 PM »
this is what I'm trying to get accomplished, but I can't get the string ports / serial port if I use it / or the receiver board configured to make it work right.  Right now if I put the board in test with the ethernet cable connected to the serial port #1, the 12 string matrix lights up, 1st arch of the 2 group and the first candy cane.  Nothing else comes on.
On your string port page it needs to be "main board with expansion" then it will give you 16 more ports to configure which are your receiver boards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BlackwolfK9

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 08:16:41 PM »
aes with the right firmware you can run your ethernet cable from serial #1 straight to the receiver board and bypass the expansion board.  you can do either with or without expansion selected, it just changes the port assignments.

Offline BlackwolfK9

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 08:17:31 PM »
All WORKING using serial #1.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 34
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2016, 09:26:22 PM »
algerdes just to clarify, i'm using the differential expansion board (little 4 port one) connected to F16V2R with ribbon cable.  The out of port #1 on that little board I have ethernet cable going to receiver board.  Then off the receiver board I have 3 strings of lights, each on a different output on the receiver board.  Does all that sound correct?  If so then the string of lights connected to output 1 on the receiver board is controlled by string port 17?  Is that correct?  Is the ethernet cable a typical ethernet cable where pins 3 & 6 are green?  Sorry for so many questions?

I do not have that configuration, I am only running differential receivers without the expansion board, but I believe you are correct.  The first output would be string port 17.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2016, 06:55:44 AM »
Sorry, I've been absent due to a cold and not doing anything.

The expansion receiver boards work with both the expansion sending board, and with port one of the serial outputs.
If you really want it from "the horses mouth", take David up on his offer for you to call him.  Please report what you find here so the rest of us can benefit from the fix.

FYI - I've just put my second expansion board and 4 receivers to work.  It is great having the 16 ports at the main board (driving a full mega-tree with them) and then putting 4 separate outputs in 4 locations around the yard.  On top of that, I'm running a Renard/DMX string (with 3 - SS24/SS16 AC controllers) off of serial port 2. 

This board (F16V2R) is wonderful.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 06:59:04 AM »

As others have said here, change the port mode to "main with expansion".  That will open up another 16 channels.

Offline BlackwolfK9

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 08:28:05 PM »
So if I need to set up the 4 ports as a result of the expansion receiver, which "string ports" do I assign to the universes I need, which are 17,18,19,20.  So do the 4 additional ports become 13,14,15,16 without setting "main board with expansion, or are they 17,18,19,20 if "main board with expansion is turned on"?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 08:50:09 PM by BlackwolfK9 »

Offline Aesl1982

• Kudos: 1
Expansion boards controlled by main board RJ45 outputs?
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2016, 05:40:19 AM »
aes with the right firmware you can run your ethernet cable from serial #1 straight to the receiver board and bypass the expansion board.  you can do either with or without expansion selected, it just changes the port assignments.
Yes your right. I use those for dmx in my setup. Wasn't hard to use the differential expansion board. It's pretty small and straight forward

Offline vipersinu2

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 04:15:09 PM »
I was messing around with the receiver board, I have an rj45 cable from serial port 1 which is port 13 on the f16v2, all of test patterns work from all 4 of the phoenix connector on the receiver board.
On the F16v2 serial tab, I have set each port to string Data (13,14,15,16) seems easy enough. I tried 13,14,15,16, then enabled the expansion board and tried 29,30,31,32, but on port 2,3,4 on the F16v2,  I only get test pattern to work on one phoenix connector PT1 of the reciever board. Do I have to mess with the 3 jumpers on the F16v2 that say LOR or DMX?

thank for an tips
Jason

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 06:20:43 PM »
Try re-saving on the string port page.