Author Topic: FPP v1.9 Soft Launch  (Read 5421 times)

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 139
FPP v1.9 Soft Launch
« on: October 27, 2016, 07:35:17 PM »
I pushed a new FPP v1.9 last night, but it is to be considered a soft launch.  I am not announcing it anywhere but here on FalconChristmas.com and I don't recommend people switch to it unless they need the new features in v1.9 or are wanting to help test.

I don't plan on adding an upgrade button to the UI until after Christmas.  If people are running something that is stable for them, I don't want them upgrading.  v1.9 is being released so that we have a released version with a few features that have been sitting in the master-v1.x branch for a while.

Additional features in v1.9 include:

- Native ArtNet Support.  FPP can now output ArtNet directly without having to use the OLA channel output.  OLA has limitations on the number of universes supported, but FPP can support hundreds of universes similar to the E1.31 output.  The ArtNet channel output is configured on the renamed E1.31/ArtNet configuration page.  Each universe configured can be setup as E1.31 or ArtNet.  Both may be used at the same time and the same channels can be sent out both interfaces if desired.

- Pi Matrix hat pinout selection.  There are 3 pinouts in use out there, Standard (the new pinout the library uses), Classic (the old pinout the library used to use, and Adafruit (the pinout that Adafruit's hat uses.  This feature allows you to select which hat you are using.

- BBB Serial Output (Pixelnet and DMX).  This feature adds in the ability to use the serial outputs on the F16-B and F4-B boards.  These can be used for DMX or Pixelnet.  All ports use the same protocol.

- Patch to allow programming Falcon F16v1 and F8 (and presumably SSC/uSC firmware) connected via the BBB serial output or any other Pixelnet output on a Pi/BBB such as when using a USB RS-485 serial dongle.

- Raspberry Pi model detection so we can display different logos for different models (merged copy of Materdaddy's patch in master branch).

- Detection of Ron's Holiday Lights SPI Pixel hat for the Pi.  This isn't required, but lets us bump up the SPI speed when Ron's board is detected.

- SubMatrices.  The SubMatrices feature allows a Pi or BBB to drive multiple physical matrices each with their own model.   This could make some effects easier to sequence, but is not required with features in sequencers such as xLights with it's layers and submodels.  There is no UI for this, if you think you need it, let me know and I can give you information on confguring it.

If you want to switch to v1.9 to try it, you will need to browse to the developer.php page to switch branches.  I may add an easier way to switch once we have more positive feedback on the new features.  If you currently access FPP via a URL similar to the following:

http://fpp/

you can access the developer.php page by appending "developer.php" to the URL such as this:

http://fpp/developer.php

On the Developer page, at the top is a dropdown select to choose the current FPP branch.  Select 'v1.9' from the list and FPP will switch to the FPP branch.  If you do not see 'v1.9' in the list, you may need to run a manual update or reboot to refresh the list of available branches.  If you test v1.9 and want to revert, you can browse back to the developer.php page and select v1.8 or a prior version.  I wouldn't recommend going back further than v1.5 though, because the developer page didn't always exist and you could lock yourself into an old version by going back too far.

If you do test v1.9 and run into issues, please indicate the FPP version in any threads you start so that we can track whether users are running the v1.8 release or the newer v1.9.
-
Chris

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 74
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: FPP v1.9 Soft Launch
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 08:31:21 PM »
I have an F4B running that I wanted to do DMX output from (but couldn't with V1.8 ).

I've updated it to v1.9 already with no noticeable glitches in my running Halloween show.

Will add a DMX/RJ45 to it tomorrow and test.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 10:54:07 PM »
I've updated it to v1.9 already with no noticeable glitches in my running Halloween show.

Will add a DMX/RJ45 to it tomorrow and test.

Thanks for testing and reporting back.  None of the additions were that invasive, but I wanted people to play safe with their shows.

Offline Setarcos

• Developer
  • Kudos: 6
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 10:51:22 AM »
So far so good on my development pi2 that is temporarily hooked up to our backyard pathway lights. I started up a sequence just after dark last night and it was still looping this morning.

Offline hamblinj

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 12:10:37 PM »
Capt.

I was working with Dave Pitts on my show, 6 Pi2B running 1.8, he sent some info to you about it, 3 of the FPP were not starting up with the master.  Running 1.7 now and all seems to be working, minus a few minor delays.  I can test 1.9 after Halloween if you think it may solve the issue I was having. 

John

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 01:12:42 PM »
Running 1.7 now and all seems to be working, minus a few minor delays.  I can test 1.9 after Halloween if you think it may solve the issue I was having.

Yes, please test v1.9 after Halloween and let me know.  I think some of your tests with master actually weren't working due to a compile issue according to the logs he sent me.  If this was the case it was trying to use a very very old binary in the master branch which may not have started with the current config file.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 01:17:33 PM »
I am thinking of adding one more enhancement to v1.9.  I have some uncommitted code to allow configuring the brightness of the Octoscroller output.  This patch also includes a refresh rate optimization to only refresh outputs that are actually in use.  I need to add a setting to the UI for the panel brightness and figure out a library issue then I can commit the code.  I am going from 4 P10 panels last year to 30 this year so I want a way to adjust the brightness without recompiling or updating all my sequences.

Offline Phrog30

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 02:02:03 PM »
I am thinking of adding one more enhancement to v1.9.  I have some uncommitted code to allow configuring the brightness of the Octoscroller output.  This patch also includes a refresh rate optimization to only refresh outputs that are actually in use.  I need to add a setting to the UI for the panel brightness and figure out a library issue then I can commit the code.  I am going from 4 P10 panels last year to 30 this year so I want a way to adjust the brightness without recompiling or updating all my sequences.
Would it be possible to make brightness setting per panel? One thing that can be a headache is using panels from different batches. There can sometimes be a noticeable difference in brightness and color.

Just a thought. Thanks for all that you do.

James

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 02:05:18 PM »
Would it be possible to make brightness setting per panel? One thing that can be a headache is using panels from different batches. There can sometimes be a noticeable difference in brightness and color.

This would be a major undertaking and a huge rewrite of the BBB's PRU code to handle a different brightness per panel.  I think it would be easier to do it on the FPP side of the code.  I do have future plans to allow adjusting brightness of the channel outputs, but there is a bit of framework that I need to get in place to cache the calculated values so that we aren't constantly calculating brightness or performing lookups in a table every time we play a sequence.

Offline Phrog30

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 02:18:33 PM »

This would be a major undertaking and a huge rewrite of the BBB's PRU code to handle a different brightness per panel.  I think it would be easier to do it on the FPP side of the code.  I do have future plans to allow adjusting brightness of the channel outputs, but there is a bit of framework that I need to get in place to cache the calculated values so that we aren't constantly calculating brightness or performing lookups in a table every time we play a sequence.
Thank you for the reply.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline PeteyHall

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 05:34:56 PM »
Did a 'fix' to work with LOR 24 channel controllers get in there?

Online Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 20
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 06:37:22 PM »
Chris,
I was unable to update to 1.9 from the /developer.php page. It remains on Master, or 1.8 whichever it was at at the time.

I had to delete the .so files in /opt/fpp/lib. They appeared as 'not checked in files' from the developer page.

After I deleted those. it was able to update to 1.9

Ben

Offline mello_roberto

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 06:27:09 AM »
I am running 1.9 on my show.
Pi3(master), PiB+(projector), BBB(P10), BBG(F4B)

Not problems at all.

Thank you so much

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 12:42:53 AM »
Did a 'fix' to work with LOR 24 channel controllers get in there?

No, I did not get this in yet.  To do this right would mean allowing the user to configure the number of channels per controller and not just a blanket "24 vs 16" checkbox and that would be a big change.  If a checkbox would work for you for this year, then I can look at adding one to the Channel Output config screen.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 12:44:55 AM »
I was unable to update to 1.9 from the /developer.php page. It remains on Master, or 1.8 whichever it was at at the time.

I had to delete the .so files in /opt/fpp/lib. They appeared as 'not checked in files' from the developer page.

After I deleted those. it was able to update to 1.9

This is probably because you switch branches for testing.  At some point, it may have pulled in a library update under the external directory.  Next time try the "Reset Local Changes" button at the bottom of the developer.php page and see if that fixes it.  Then run a manual update and that should pull in info about the new branch and then you can switch.