I pushed a new FPP v1.9 last night, but it is to be considered a soft launch. I am not announcing it anywhere but here on FalconChristmas.com and I don't recommend people switch to it unless they need the new features in v1.9 or are wanting to help test
I don't plan on adding an upgrade button to the UI until after Christmas. If people are running something that is stable for them, I don't want them upgrading. v1.9 is being released so that we have a released version with a few features that have been sitting in the master-v1.x branch for a while.
Additional features in v1.9 include:
- Native ArtNet Support. FPP can now output ArtNet directly without having to use the OLA channel output. OLA has limitations on the number of universes supported, but FPP can support hundreds of universes similar to the E1.31 output. The ArtNet channel output is configured on the renamed E1.31/ArtNet configuration page. Each universe configured can be setup as E1.31 or ArtNet. Both may be used at the same time and the same channels can be sent out both interfaces if desired.
- Pi Matrix hat pinout selection. There are 3 pinouts in use out there, Standard (the new pinout the library uses), Classic (the old pinout the library used to use, and Adafruit (the pinout that Adafruit's hat uses. This feature allows you to select which hat you are using.
- BBB Serial Output (Pixelnet and DMX). This feature adds in the ability to use the serial outputs on the F16-B and F4-B boards. These can be used for DMX or Pixelnet. All ports use the same protocol.
- Patch to allow programming Falcon F16v1 and F8 (and presumably SSC/uSC firmware) connected via the BBB serial output or any other Pixelnet output on a Pi/BBB such as when using a USB RS-485 serial dongle.
- Raspberry Pi model detection so we can display different logos for different models (merged copy of Materdaddy's patch in master branch).
- Detection of Ron's Holiday Lights SPI Pixel hat for the Pi. This isn't required, but lets us bump up the SPI speed when Ron's board is detected.
- SubMatrices. The SubMatrices feature allows a Pi or BBB to drive multiple physical matrices each with their own model. This could make some effects easier to sequence, but is not required with features in sequencers such as xLights with it's layers and submodels. There is no UI for this, if you think you need it, let me know and I can give you information on confguring it.
If you want to switch to v1.9 to try it, you will need to browse to the developer.php page to switch branches. I may add an easier way to switch once we have more positive feedback on the new features. If you currently access FPP via a URL similar to the following:http://fpp/
you can access the developer.php page by appending "developer.php" to the URL such as this:http://fpp/developer.php
On the Developer page, at the top is a dropdown select to choose the current FPP branch. Select 'v1.9' from the list and FPP will switch to the FPP branch. If you do not see 'v1.9' in the list, you may need to run a manual update or reboot to refresh the list of available branches. If you test v1.9 and want to revert, you can browse back to the developer.php page and select v1.8 or a prior version. I wouldn't recommend going back further than v1.5 though, because the developer page didn't always exist and you could lock yourself into an old version by going back too far.
If you do test v1.9 and run into issues, please indicate the FPP version in any threads you start so that we can track whether users are running the v1.8 release or the newer v1.9.