Author Topic: Network Layout  (Read 851 times)

Offline BlackwolfK9

• Kudos: 0
Network Layout
« on: November 08, 2016, 08:20:08 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place in the forum.[/size]My problem, my light show is a farm.  I have a number of LOR CTB16 controllers that I've used for a few years.  Last year I added my first pixels.  The shop (which is where my show computer is) starts the LOR network (485).  Last year I added a second network jack to facilitate E1.31 to my pixel controller which was within 300' of the shop.  This years problem is that my pixels are all laid out to be starting about 500-600 feet from the shop and I'm not sure how to cable/layout my network to get to the pixel controllers.  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.  Also this year I have added a second and third pixel controller (Pixlite 4 and a F16V2-R).  I'm stumped at the moment.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 42
Re: Network Layout
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 08:31:05 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place in the forum.My problem, my light show is a farm.  I have a number of LOR CTB16 controllers that I've used for a few years.  Last year I added my first pixels.  The shop (which is where my show computer is) starts the LOR network (485).  Last year I added a second network jack to facilitate E1.31 to my pixel controller which was within 300' of the shop.  This years problem is that my pixels are all laid out to be starting about 500-600 feet from the shop and I'm not sure how to cable/layout my network to get to the pixel controllers.  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.  Also this year I have added a second and third pixel controller (Pixlite 4 and a F16V2-R).  I'm stumped at the moment.

It looks like you will need a switch or an old hub in the middle of that long run to boost the signal to reach 500 ft.

Offline BlackwolfK9

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 08:33:28 AM »
Has anyone tried using Ubiquiti products to extend their network?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 84
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 09:38:34 AM »
Sean has talked quite a bit about his success with Ubiquiti products for his Marching Band project.

Do a search in the forum. Many entries.

Offline ChristmasBug

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 08:11:06 AM »
 Ubiquiti Is one of the best open network equipment you can use for work or home.  https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-802-11ac-Dual-Radio-UAP-AC-PRO-US/dp/B015PRO512/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480172963&sr=8-1&keywords=ubnt  I use them in my house These guys are a great bridge https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NanoStation-locoM2-2-4GHz-Outdoor/dp/B004EGI3CI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1480172963&sr=8-5&keywords=ubnt

Just remember you will need a windows 7 pc to run the GUI management. My window 10 suck and will not let me access the GUI.
Going for it...

Raspberry pi - 1 Main
 2 - Raspberry PI+PICAP
 2 x F16V2-R Pixel Controller
 5000 node  bullet PiXELS
 800 C9 PiXELS for roof out line

Offline afremont

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 06:34:32 PM »
You might be able to make use of cheap RS485 boards.  They convert a TTL output from a pixel controller and convert it to a differential signal that can, in theory, extend for over a thousand feet.  One cat 5 cable could carry four channels of data, but you should use a pair to pass a ground reference.  No hubs or network equipment required. 

Don't let people try to convince you that no ground is required, because it is.  I have a falcon controller with differential receiver boards.  I was powering one from a different supply than the main controller uses.  3 channels worked okay without the power supply grounds connected to each other, but one channel was very flakey.  I put a ground wire between each supply and everything is rock solid.  My cat 5 cable was only 50 long and both supplied were on the same AC circuit - I still needed to connect their grounds together to eliminate the errors on the flakey channel.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk