Author Topic: Matrix P10 issue  (Read 792 times)

Offline aERonAUtical96

• Kudos: 0
Matrix P10 issue
« on: November 08, 2016, 06:54:35 PM »
Just stepping into the P10 realm.  Having an issue with my configuration that doesn't make sense to me.  I have a 2W x 3H (64x48) panel setup.

In xLights, my Layout:
Vertical, #strings=64, Nodes/string=48,  Starting Location=Top Left

In FPP (BBB Version:=v1.5-5-ge3c1555)
Panel layout (WxH): 2x3
Single Panel Size: 32x16
Model Start Corner: Top Left
Start Channel: 1
Channel Count: 9216
Panel Color Order: RBG

My panel layout:
O-1 P-6 UP          O-1 P-5 UP
O-1 P-3 DN         O-1 P-4 DN
O-1 P-2 UP          O-1 P-1UP

I'm assuming the panel layout is when you look at it from the front.  Octoscroller is plugged into P-1 and then follow the path to P-6.  All running off of 1 Octoscroller port.

Ok... here is the problem.  When I either test a single channel or run my sequence, all panels are acting like the same panel... P-6 in this instance.  I get the upper left corner of the sequence and then it is repeated on each panel.  The panels that are oriented DOWN are displayed upside down.

I know it is a configuration issue, just can't figure it.

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 14
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: Matrix P10 issue
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 09:38:42 PM »
That sounds like you're not plugged into output 1 as you've indicated on your FPP setup.
You can call me AAH, you can call me Al, or you can call me Alan.
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Catalogue.pdf Catalogue of my blinky bits
http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/

Offline aERonAUtical96

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 04:18:39 AM »
Well, I feel stupid.  You were correct.  All is well.

Thanks.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 141
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 02:27:56 PM »
The LEDscape library currently always draws 64 panels even if you only have 1 (or 6 as in your case).  If a panel is not configured then the data that is sent out for that panel is the data for the top left corner of the matrix.

I have a patch which I need to do some more testing on which will only send data out outputs which have panels connected so that we can speed up the refresh rate.  Another step beyond that will be to only send data for the panels configured on an output rather than always sending 8 panels worth of data out an output.
-
Chris

Offline CDR114

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 04:32:59 PM »
Capt:

I wonder if you got your patch tested?  I was going to start on the same project for a different purpose.  In addition, I am starting to look at the matrix.p program to see if it can be modified to support 1/4 scan rates.  I have seen hub75 full color outdoor panels that are 3 times as bright compared to the latest indoor/outdoor 1/8 scan panels.  Have you looked at this?  I don't know if will help the FPP group, but I am testing a program, based on a modified Hudson's MTA-Sign program to use Xbee's to send message data to the LEDscape program. 

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 141
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 12:43:07 PM »
I wonder if you got your patch tested?  I was going to start on the same project for a different purpose.  In addition, I am starting to look at the matrix.p program to see if it can be modified to support 1/4 scan rates.  I have seen hub75 full color outdoor panels that are 3 times as bright compared to the latest indoor/outdoor 1/8 scan panels.  Have you looked at this?  I don't know if will help the FPP group, but I am testing a program, based on a modified Hudson's MTA-Sign program to use Xbee's to send message data to the LEDscape program.

The patch works for the 32x16 panels and does give a higher refresh rate according to the video app on my iPhone. :)  I can also control brightness with the patch.  Without the patch, I can easily see the blank bars as the refresh cycles.  With the patch on my 2-output setup, I can still see the bars, but they are a lot less noticable.  This performance will vary depending on the # of outputs being used.

I wanted to spend time on 32x32 support, but since most users are using 32x16 panels, I may go ahead and push the change to the master-v1.x branch.  I don't know if I will push it to v1.9 this late in the year.

I do want to support 1/4 scan, but don't have a panel and haven't wanted to spend $25-30 on a 1/4 panel just to write/test the code.  If someone has a 1/4-scan 32x16 or 1/8-scan 32x32 that they can loan me, then it will give me a little motivation. :)

Offline mschell

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 02:44:01 PM »
I've got several P5 panels.  These are 32x64, and I think are 1/8 scan.

I'm currently trying them out on the Pi Matrix Hat from ronp to see if a small 1x2 panel setup will work, but would be more than happy to loan a few out to get less flicker on either a Pi or Beagle.  I had built a 3x3 panel using a BB, but the flicker was just too bad to use in "production".

Let me know if loaning 1 or 2 would be helpful and I'll ship them out after Turkey Day.

Mark

Offline CDR114

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 07:53:05 AM »
"do want to support 1/4 scan, but don't have a panel and haven't wanted to spend $25-30 on a 1/4 panel just to write/test the code.  If someone has a 1/4-scan 32x16 or 1/8-scan 32x32 that they can loan me, then it will give me a little motivation. "

I am going to verify with the Ali-Express vendor that the 1/4 scan panels are indeed HUB75's, I will order a couple extra and send them to you.  I will work this next week on getting my code posted to GitHub.  I just registered to GitHub so I have to figure how that all works.  I don't know if I should start a new branch for LEDscape or if I can add a folder with my to an existing branch.

I am also currently only using two outputs with 32x16 panels in a 2x4 configuration.

Offline budude

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 12:14:16 PM »
Looking through the various posts trying to determine if anything went further with 1/4 scan panels? I purchased a set of outdoor panels by mistake and noticed first that the Boscoyo strips didn't work with them (hole patterns are completely different) but figured I could make my own brackets later. Well - - 'later' has come but now I realize these are 1/4 scan vs the 1/8 for the indoor and they do not seem to work right at all after several different configuration attempts. I'd be willing to test any code and/or supply a panel to anyone to work on these if possible. I've got my matrix all put together (2x5) that would serve as my song, web site posts, etc.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 81
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 01:15:19 PM »
Here is the list of supported panels with a BBB and Octoscroller (and Dan Kulp' s newest image)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline budude

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 11:25:17 AM »
Yep - saw that - got a couple BBB's already, ordered Octoscroller boards via OSHPark and the parts from Digikey - - just waiting now... BBB is loaded with dkulp image OK and ready to go there.