Author Topic: FPP and ESP  (Read 662 times)

Offline bowhunter3125

• Kudos: 0
FPP and ESP
« on: November 14, 2016, 10:06:07 PM »
Ok, this year i am done with WIfi, What komby gear didnt wind up in the trash is being sold, my wireless only controllers are also being sold as well. Next year i may mess around with Wireless again, but this year i am hard lining every controller. I have read the the ESP is more reliable then the Komby or the Xbee, I know very little about the ESP other then you need a Router to send data to the modules. How do you do this with the Pi?

Offline Materdaddy

• Kudos: 8
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
Re: FPP and ESP
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 04:52:36 PM »
Not sure where you heard ESP is more reliable than Komby, but you'll probably get more info on working with them here: http://diychristmas.org/vb1/forumdisplay.php?120-ESP8266

Offline bowhunter3125

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 10:02:18 PM »
Gonna bump this instead of starting another thread. Will the new Pi3 with the built in Wifi send out data to ESP8266 modules? Or will i have to hook the PI up to a Wireless router? Need to figure out my hardware for the year and this is top priority at the moment.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 139
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 01:10:06 PM »
Gonna bump this instead of starting another thread. Will the new Pi3 with the built in Wifi send out data to ESP8266 modules? Or will i have to hook the PI up to a Wireless router? Need to figure out my hardware for the year and this is top priority at the moment.

Both the Pi and ESP8266 modules need to connect to an access point/router to talk to each other or have the Pi hardwired via ethernet to the same access point/router that the ESP8266 modules are connecting to.  Jay is working on a patch to allow the allow the Pi to run as an access point, but that is still being tested.
-
Chris

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 02:49:23 PM »
Jay is working on a patch to allow the allow the Pi to run as an access point, but that is still being tested.

I do have concerns about running high amounts of E1.31 traffic over the FPP-powered access point I've been working on. If you have the option of a dedicated access point I would go that route over using the FPP as an access point. In my mind, the FPP access point will work best in a scenario where its only used to send/receive FPP sync packets to other FPP's or a F16V2/3 running as a remote, or in an a standalone portable environment where you need someway to login to the FPP from say your phone or tablet. There is nothing stopping it from distributing E1.31 I've just have seen it might be too much of a performance impact to the FPP itself.

"And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day."

Offline bowhunter3125

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 10:52:22 PM »

Both the Pi and ESP8266 modules need to connect to an access point/router to talk to each other or have the Pi hardwired via ethernet to the same access point/router that the ESP8266 modules are connecting to.  Jay is working on a patch to allow the allow the Pi to run as an access point, but that is still being tested.

SO this diagram should work......

Offline Sawdust

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 12:06:34 AM »
Looks good to me.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 74
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 04:30:19 AM »
I would change your drawing to say "Master sends Sync data to slaves"

Wireless won't have the bandwidth for E1.31 pixel data but easily handles sync data.

Offline Sawdust

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 02:21:05 PM »
I would change your drawing to say "Master sends Sync data to slaves"

Wireless won't have the bandwidth for E1.31 pixel data but easily handles sync data.

Do you sync data to slaves when playing, or sync sequence starts?
In my case, I actually play different content on the remote FPP tune to sign. In this case Sequence 1 would control lights and play music, and first remote uses the Tune to Sequence 1 to display the song information and some graphics.  FPP Remote 2 would play Sequence 1 for the mini mega tree.  And I run 11 universe of ESP's

I still feel this layout can and will support the ESP's without bandwidth issues.  I not clear to how 2 remote FPP can eat up that much bandwidth.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 02:36:36 PM »
Your drawing should work as-is, but really depends on how many E1.31 universes you are sending directly over the WiFi to the ESP's.

Offline bowhunter3125

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 04:07:52 PM »
Your drawing should work as-is, but really depends on how many E1.31 universes you are sending directly over the WiFi to the ESP's.

I will only have 1 universe spread out among the AC and DC controllers. The 27 channel dmx will run off the falcon, probably run another 27 channel off the falcon as well. Depending on what the guys over at Renard have on the drawing board for a new 24 channel controller.