Author Topic: Expansion board or new F16?  (Read 236 times)

Offline sawyerbrownlive

• Kudos: 0
Expansion board or new F16?
« on: November 20, 2016, 06:45:23 PM »
 I am in the beginning of year one with my first F16v2. It was easier than expected to set up and to run. I loved it. It is powering a 12 string pixel tree with 12 V pixels and a couple of straight runs along the driveway.  Next year I'm looking to add some mini pixel trees and possibly some arches on the opposite side of the driveway, approximately 50 feet from the falcon.  So I'm wondering as the title implies if I should buy an expansion board and keep it 50 feet away from the beginning of the rest of my yard. Or if I should purchase a new F 16.  I'm totally unfamiliar with power injection, but I would learn it. I'm unfamiliar with how an expansion board works, I will learn it.  If I do buy an expansion board, do I need to do anything to get my computer to see it or does it automatically see it?

Offline ChristmasBug

Re: Expansion board or new F16?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 09:06:54 PM »
What I did was bought the Expansion board, this will allow me to have 4 different setup in my yard over 100 feet from my main controller. I am not sure how it will all work because this is my first year with pixels. As for the power injecting I have read that each port on the controller with be able to handle 100 pixel with out power injecting.

I hope this help.
Going for it...

Raspberry pi - 1 Main
 2 - Raspberry PI+PICAP
 2 x F16V2-R Pixel Controller
 5000 node  bullet PiXELS
 800 C9 PiXELS for roof out line

Offline sawyerbrownlive

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 07:42:05 AM »
I would run no more than 100 pixels per port, but probably only 50.  My distances would be around 100' from the main controller.  So is there concern with power loss from the main controller to 50 pixels off each port 100' away?  And what is the answer regarding the setup of the expansion board?  Once it's connected with the ribbon, does my PC immediately recognize it?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 33
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 08:12:06 AM »
If you are going over a driveway, I would buy another F16v2, but wait awhile to see if another updated version might surface before next season.  I put a Pi with each v2 and use the Pi's in a master slave relationship.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 33
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 08:54:42 AM »

Offline sawyerbrownlive

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 11:52:16 AM »
Good info, thank you.  Yes I currently have my only F16 on the opposite side of the driveway from my yard.  So I need something in my yard side of the driveway to drive the rest of my display.  I will definitely be waiting until pre-sales as I'm in no rush to have a second controller right now.  If I go the route of another F16v2 or F16v3, will I be able to daisy chain them together like I do my current LOR controllers?