Author Topic: AlphaPix Quit Working  (Read 604 times)

Offline Flash Gordon

• Kudos: 0
AlphaPix Quit Working
« on: November 26, 2016, 06:11:45 PM »
Doing final live testing of display today. Have an F16 and 3 ea -AlphaPix 4's. Two of the Alphapix quit working. Getting no out pout to pixels but they were all working earlier today while running a sequence. The two that are not working... all indicator lights are working, appear to be receiving data steam, I can access the setup on network OK, but I get no light output in Test Mode now.  All the fuses are OK. I connected the non functioning pixels the AphaPix that works and the pixel will run fine in Test Mode and run a sequence so can't be the pixels or cables.
Any way tell if the AlphaPix board is fried? Two of them to quit in an hour is odd. Second year I've run the same controllers so not new to this.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 42
Re: AlphaPix Quit Working
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 09:15:00 PM »
I would double check the configuration screens on both the AlphaPIx  4's and make sure that nothing has changed.  Compare them to the output definitions in FPP and make sure that the data is properly being sent to them.  Also get a volt meter and make sure that they are sending voltage to the pixels.  Don't just go by the fuses not being blown.

Offline Flash Gordon

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 11:58:39 AM »
Figured it out on Sunday. The controller output chip was bad, it's the 20-pin TI chip on the board. I swapped the chip out with another controller and it worked. Was lucky enough to have a local lighting enthusiast have several extras. Was back up and running that day. Chip is available from Mouser and Digikey.... they are only about $0.50 ea....so I ordered some spares this time.

Offline Scottishsurfer

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 05:59:48 PM »
I have burnt out the pixel chip more than 3 times.  All accidents via bad wiring.  Always keep spares on hand ;)