Author Topic: Which Communication Method to choose?  (Read 807 times)

Offline bassmants

• Kudos: 0
Which Communication Method to choose?
« on: November 26, 2016, 10:48:52 PM »
While running the programming utility, it asks whether its FPD or Etherdongle or Serial.  Last year it was easy as I was using an Etherdongle.  I just got the F16V2 and then connecting to the F16V1.  Which do I choose for the Communication Method now?

Thanks guys.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 140
Re: Which Communication Method to choose?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 09:54:30 PM »
Use 'FPD' and give it the IP address of your F16v2.  This is a new hidden feature that David added to the F16v2 somewhere along the way.
-
Chris

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 38
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 08:55:07 AM »
And how do I do that via a Pi.  I tried giving the address of the Pi (F16v1 is the only thing attached to that Pi) and tried to update an entry, but never got any flashing lights like I do when connected to an ETD.  I am about to take my ETD outside and connect direct but would like to not have to do that in the future.  Same problem when trying to configure some SSCs with Falcon firmware on a Lynx hub and with a dedicated Pi.  We sure need this stuff documented someplace that is easy to find.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline txag2008

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 04:59:13 PM »
And how do I do that via a Pi.  I tried giving the address of the Pi (F16v1 is the only thing attached to that Pi) and tried to update an entry, but never got any flashing lights like I do when connected to an ETD.  I am about to take my ETD outside and connect direct but would like to not have to do that in the future.  Same problem when trying to configure some SSCs with Falcon firmware on a Lynx hub and with a dedicated Pi.  We sure need this stuff documented someplace that is easy to find.

I'm having a similar experience.  After resolving my issue last yr (http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,3155.msg34844.html#msg34844) I'm now trying to reconfigure my F16v1 with my FPD and am not getting the my pixels that are connected to my F16v1 to light up after clicking 'program' and the new programming isn't taking effect.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 140
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 11:14:05 PM »
I tested programming a F16v1 connected to a F16-B's Pixelnet output and I think this functionality has been confirmed by others.  It should work the same on a Pi outputting pixelnet as it does on the BBB/F16-B.

How is your F16v1 connected to the Pi?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 38
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 11:27:00 AM »
wifi for me, does it need to be wired?  laptop to show wifi router via wifo to pis out in yard.