Author Topic: Dmx works  (Read 623 times)

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
Dmx works
« on: December 27, 2013, 10:25:48 PM »

I tried to get Dmx out of my active hub, it didn't work. This has been documented elsewhere. I contacted Dave and he told me how to get Dmx out of my active hub.

I make my own cat5 cables. I have a few thousand feet of stranded cable from mono price.

On our cat5 cables, this is the color codes

Pair 1: orange/white. , orange
Pair 2: green/white, blue
Pair 3: blue/white, green
Pair 4: brown white/ brown

So Dave said if I plug a cable into one of the two Pixelnet out ports on the active hub (note, NOT the Dmx port) he could send Dmx on any pair. So I made a cable with just the brown white/brown twisted pair connected to pins 7 and 8 of the cat5 connector. I marked it hub.

On the other end of the cable I put brown white to pin 1 and brown to pin 2. This is because Dmx must only be on pair 1.

I marked this cable "Dmx"

I plugged in my aethers. Dave showed me on the pi player config screen for the FPD to set Dmx on 12289 of Pixelnet universe 4.

Dmx is perfect .

This only required making the one cable and I then had Dmx coming out of my active hub.

Thanks again Dave! You always come up with a technical solution

Sean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases
xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php
Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
Re: Dmx works
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 10:31:57 PM »
Great info

Jerry Plak

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 10:46:12 PM »
if any one has a Lynx Combiner can use in reverse mode to get four DMX Universes
Universe 1  Ch 1-512
Universe 2  Ch  513  to 1024
Universe 3  Ch 1025 to 1536
Universe 4  Ch 1537 to 2048

Offline mkozik1

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 07:29:11 PM »
So Sean - Can you use multiple pixlenet ports to kinda make this a DMX splitter?
- Mark

RM357

Dmx works
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 07:54:01 PM »
What?

I'm assuming you are talking about the DLA active hub

If you are sending pixelnet to the hub, the pixelnet ports will have pixelnet on them (4x the data rate of dmx with a different sync header on the packet)

If you load an etherdongle with the dmx firmware, you will get 4 universes of dmx out (one on each pair) and there is no need for the hub.

If you are sending data from a dmx etherdongle to an active hub to use it as a dmx power injector, only then will you will have dmx as indicated. In this configuration, there is no telling what will come out of the dmx port as the pic will be going nuts trying to make sense of data it is receiving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 08:02:54 PM »
I think what Sean was saying is with the FPD there are 12 separate RS-485 pairs. Three jacks of 4 pairs. With the FPD you can send Pixelnet or DMX out on any of the 12 pairs. Each of the 12 can have any start address in the 1-32768 range of addresses. So on jack one he sent three universes of Pixlenet on 3 of the pairs but on the 4th pair he sent DMX data. The wire went to an active hub where the Pixelnet was used but on the active Pixelnet out he made a wire that went from the DMX pair to his DMX devices. This worked for him because he did not need to use the forth universe of Pixelnet so he ran DMX on that pair instead. 
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline mkozik1

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 08:05:51 PM »
Thanks Robert - Actually, I forgot the etherdongle would do 4 universes!

Thanks for the clarification Dave

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 10:23:54 PM »
Thanks Robert - Actually, I forgot the etherdongle would do 4 universes!

Thanks for the clarification Dave

Just to be clear, I have don't have etherdongle anywhere in my setup.

Raspberry pi goes to Dave's FPD board. This board is the equivalent of two etherdongle's. It also has 2000 channels of Dmx besides the 32,000 channels of Pixelnet.

I connected my active hubs to the cable coming out of the FPD. As Dave says you can configure the FPD to have either Pixelnet or Dmx on any of the 12 universes it outputs.

Since the pi connects to the FPD via a ribbon cable it left the pi Ethernet port open to connect to my home hub. I do not use wireless in my setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 07:24:48 AM »
Thanks for sharing this. Next week once the show is done I'll do further testing with the FPD. Can't wait!!

For this year I've all but turned off my dmx gear anyways as I was using triple tap extension cords off the LEs I have and kept tripping my gfi. So frustrating even though I put in nice and snug the plastic ends of the unused outlets. Next year everything is being run LE to lighting object direct with no plugs. Just soldered connections with heat shrink tubing over it.
Ryan