Author Topic: How are you powering your differential receiver (s) ?  (Read 973 times)

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
How are you powering your differential receiver (s) ?
« on: December 13, 2016, 02:02:32 PM »
I'm just curious what power supplies people are using to power their [color=rgb(255, 114, 0) !important]differential[/color][/size] [/size][/color][color=rgb(255, 114, 0) !important]receiver(s) with?[/color]

I looked at what it would take to power my neighbors roof with 4 receivers ... and ended up only needing
8a, 8a, 11a and 7a (@ 12v) per receiver.   However, I really don't see power supplies in this 100w-150w
that are significantly cheaper than the standard meanwell 350w/29a variety most are using for the F16v2(s).

Scott / taybrynn

Online arw01

• Kudos: 0
Re: How are you powering your differential receiver (s) ?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 03:10:20 PM »
I have a plethora of Meanwell 350's, so they are running the differential receivers, probably way overkill, but if you load up one of these (I have 880 pixels off one) you can get up there..

Offline t.jo13

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 03:33:28 PM »
I use a cg 500 case and a waterproof ps to power my receiver boards works good  (picture attached)

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 04:30:44 PM »
24 volts?

Offline t.jo13

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 05:00:47 PM »
You caught that huh  :)
After talking with dave, with The Issue I was having with layout for robg floods he suggested that I try changing out the regulator and putting a different one in to be able to supply 24v. And see if that worked. I also ordered some capacitors if the ones on the board could not handle the voltage.  At this point i have 3 boards with 4  20w floods on each  of them and they are working good. Still testing though.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 34
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 05:46:27 PM »
What is with all the mice type and other html changes?  Makes it difficult to determine what the post is about.  See attached image.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline esolo

• Kudos: -1
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 05:29:38 PM »
Im using the meanwell 350's. Ordered a bunch a while back on the cheap and figured I might as well. But the like your smaller cg500 better than my 1500 I had to use to the bigger PS.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 09:32:03 PM »
Im using the meanwell 350's. Ordered a bunch a while back on the cheap and figured I might as well. But the like your smaller cg500 better than my 1500 I had to use to the bigger PS.

I have mine in a cg500 with power coming from a nearby power supply in a bigger case.  I just used 12 awg speaker wire to carry the power to the board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline abhijitz

• Kudos: -1
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 07:52:04 AM »

Do you have a complete picture of the psu + receiver board in CG500? .. I was looking to fit the receiver board and the cheaper 350W psu's (not meanwell) and i could use a smaller case. Also, what are you using for the base.

I use a cg 500 case and a waterproof ps to power my receiver boards works good

Offline russellmcfarland

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 07:57:03 AM »
I put a differential expansion board, a knockoff $18 Amazon Meanwell 350, and a power distribution board in a CG1500.   I've got about 6 of them across the yard and have had great success. 

I've got name brand Meanwells  mixed in there too, but haven't had a power supply failure yet out of any of them.

Offline afremont

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 02:33:17 PM »
I have a couple of meanwell supplies: se-350-5 and rsp-320-5.  I also have a cheap knockoff that for all the world looks like a good copy of an se-350.  It seams to work well.  The RSP has better efficiency, power factor correction and broader temp operating range.  It's lower profile and a little wider than the others.  I'm driving 1600 pixels and can run them all at full power white without issue.  Two supplies could have done it, but why push things.

I keep everything out of the weather at the front porch and use 12ga landscaping cable to send power to the props.  Some are fed by 16ga extension cords from the ports on.  I mounted all the differential boards in ta200 boxes.  They work okay, but put a strain on the network cable to close the lid.  No problems yet though. 

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline t.jo13

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 04:34:51 PM »

Do you have a complete picture of the psu + receiver board in CG500? .. I was looking to fit the receiver board and the cheaper 350W psu's (not meanwell) and i could use a smaller case. Also, what are you using for the base.

Attached is a pic of  the receiver board in cg500 case

Offline t.jo13

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 04:39:01 PM »

Here is a pic in a cg500 case with ps

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 07:20:40 AM »
I put a differential expansion board, a knockoff $18 Amazon Meanwell 350, and a power distribution board in a CG1500.   I've got about 6 of them across the yard and have had great success. 
I've got name brand Meanwells  mixed in there too, but haven't had a power supply failure yet out of any of them.
This is probably the way I will go but probably won't add the distro since I don't inject at all.  The CG500 is not that much smaller or less expensive than the CG1500 and all the smaller PS that MIGHT fit are much more expensive than the Meanwell clones.   

Anyone know if the receiver could fit in TA200?  That might work with remote power situations and there could be uses for that like on roof etc but I prefer all in one.  KISS. 
Sam

Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline afremont

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 07:36:58 AM »
Yes, a differential receiver board fits in a ta200.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk