Author Topic: RGB Yard Borders  (Read 7024 times)

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
Re: RGB Yard Borders
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 10:29:53 PM »
The rails are fairly stiff.  They will not bend to make a radius.
You can cut shorter sections say 2-3 feet long or maybe longer depending on your radius.  Then hing them together like the hinging in my picture.

Offline txag2008

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 09:53:07 AM »
Here's how I mounted my technicolor lights to outline my sidewalk.  I only had slight bends, but the 1/2" PVC should be able to form into a nice radius if needed.

I zip-tied each node to 1/2" PVC (with bell ends).  With all of the nodes mounted I can still fold up each of the PVC sticks so it will only take 10' of space to store. 

For the lawn I got 12" pieces of #3 rebar and used 4 pieces of rebar for each 10' section.  I drove the rebar into the ground with ~3" sticking up.  I then held up the PVC to rebar and made a mark with a sharpie.  I drilled a hole on the underside of the PVC at each sharpie mark.  With all the holes on the underside drilled, the PVC simply slips over the rebar and sits atop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTirdWxNW5s

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 70
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 04:25:49 PM »
Might have to borrow that design for Halloween or Christmas. I like it when I can fold things up for storage.

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 09:01:15 PM »
The 1/2" pvc will work a lot better for making a radius.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 34
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 11:32:17 AM »
I would be leery of doing the hole on the underside just for the problem of trying to get them lined up exactly in the same spot next year.  I am struggling with the same issue right now with some PVC window frames.  Currently I hang the pvc on 2 hooks at the top of the window.  But now I am trying to use the Boscoyo corostrips to get real nice alignment on my lights.  The hooks can't wrap around the pvc anymore because of the coro and end up twisting the corotrim from front alignment to up to the top.  I've thought about using the drill the holes technique, but I have 4 identical window frames and currently I can hang any frame on any window,  But when I originally put the hooks up I just eyeballed their placement and so if I drill holes I will always have to put the same frame on the same window every time.  Compounding that I have hooks in place for storing those frames off season and they would not match the drilled holes either.  I can certainly go back and put new hooks in place using a standard placement, but am pondering while I try to come up with a better way.

Long story about my problem, but I would anticipate the same issue with the yard borders.  Not undoable, but more work than I like to have when it comes to setup time and for me storage also.  I would probably just put a zip tie around the rebar and the pvc.  Just my 2 cents.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 138
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2015, 11:57:56 AM »
I made yard border like this out of split fence rail and I store mine on a wall upside down on a bunch of long shelf brackets spaced every 4 feet or so. Mine have candy canes pre-attached every 2 feet and the RGB lights spaced every 12 inches have 4" tall giant 'C9' covers on them.  I have had lots of compliments from neighbors.
-
Chris

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2015, 01:08:10 PM »

I made yard border like this out of split fence rail and I store mine on a wall upside down on a bunch of long shelf brackets spaced every 4 feet or so. Mine have candy canes pre-attached every 2 feet and the RGB lights spaced every 12 inches have 4" tall giant 'C9' covers on them.  I have had lots of compliments from neighbors.

You have a pic of that?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 138
RGB Yard Borders
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 09:36:31 PM »
Yes, I need to search for the thread, I am pretty sure I posted pics here.

Found it.  Look in the thread titled "Yard Borders" here in the Showing Off forum.  My pica are in post 21.  I would give a link but I am on tapatalk.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 09:44:22 PM by CaptainMurdoch »

Offline bowhunter3125

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 05:44:24 PM »
Bump this subject back up. I am looking at doing a Yard border around my flower beds. I want to keep these lights up year round, does anyone know how well these lights from Ray Wu look lite up and night with say 6" spacing? Will more then likely use 3/4" or 1" grey conduit, like the fence rails but i have not a single straight line on my beds. I tried looking for the large C9 covers like Captain used but couldn't find them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/50nodes-strand-C9-DC12V-1RGB-dumb-nodes-IP68-rated-24W-with-all-clear-wire-with-C9/701799_32721733406.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.dPTj8s