Author Topic: Users experience using FPP over in FPP facebook group  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Phrog30

• Kudos: 8
Re: Users experience using FPP over in FPP facebook group
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »
So, is there a purpose for the poll? It looks to me that the majority of users are having issues. If the FPP stops once, that is one time too many. I like FPP and have no plans on using anything else, but I do think there are many things that need to be improved on. Figuring out why BBB will just stop/hang and can only be fixed by a power cycle and FPP stops, but can be restarted by hitting the start button would be welcome.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 178
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2016, 07:42:27 PM »
So, is there a purpose for the poll? It looks to me that the majority of users are having issues. If the FPP stops once, that is one time too many.

I am assuming there is a missing "not" in your first sentence since the above screenshot shows 141 users with no mentioned issues and much less than that having any issues.

I still think most user issues are caused by borderline hardware, whether it is a power supply or USB stick or SD card.  I do think there is a bug that is causing fppd to die sometimes but until I can reproduce it on demand it is hard to track down.  I think that the v2.0 SD images will include the watchdog script by default in case there are issues.  I will also be doing a lot of regression testing during the development of v2.0 backend code to try to reproduce issues in the new or old code.  I don't want any stability regressions in v2.0, I want it to be more stable than v1.x and I think v1.x is pretty stable.  We have had almost 5000 downloads of the v1.8 SD image and we don't have hundreds or thousands of users complaining of stability issues, we have some, definitely more than I like, but I think we have a majority of users running without issue.
-
Chris

Offline Phrog30

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2016, 07:47:32 PM »

So, is there a purpose for the poll? It looks to me that the majority of users are having issues. If the FPP stops once, that is one time too many.

I am assuming there is a missing "not" in your first sentence since the above screenshot shows 141 users with no mentioned issues and much less than that having any issues.

I still think most user issues are caused by borderline hardware, whether it is a power supply or USB stick or SD card.  I do think there is a bug that is causing fppd to die sometimes but until I can reproduce it on demand it is hard to track down.  I think that the v2.0 SD images will include the watchdog script by default in case there are issues.  I will also be doing a lot of regression testing during the development of v2.0 backend code to try to reproduce issues in the new or old code.  I don't want any stability regressions in v2.0, I want it to be more stable than v1.x and I think v1.x is pretty stable.  We have had almost 5000 downloads of the v1.8 SD image and we don't have hundreds or thousands of users complaining of stability issues, we have some, definitely more than I like, but I think we have a majority of users running without issue.

Nope, I didn't miss the not, but I did miss the 141. I saw 14, it was cutting off the last one. I'm more than willing to get better hardware. But, I've already replaced everything multiple times. If there is a known best hardware to use, please post it.

Offline garyh

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2016, 08:09:21 PM »
I've had zero issues, but I also use an external USB battery backup that feeds the PI, and it has charging pass thru so I have it charging with the PI wall wart.  I had no issues but I also physically unplug the stick after a graceful shutdown and take it to my xlights computer to upload any sequences that I modify. 
For a poll to determine the issue, you'd need to start asking questions about whether they upload sequences wired vs wifi and learn a lot about how their show network is setup.  Perhaps that's an avenue that would shed some light on the subject as well as asking what hardware specs they had for USB/microSD, etc.  Then you get into directly communicating with the Falcon vs hitting a switch like I did, Unicast vs Multicast, etc.
So while the poll is nice, it doesn't break down the problem where it's useful to determine the issue.  How many problems are user created?  Also I find a lot of the FB ppl don't read the forums so they don't have the same level of experience/knowledge that the forum users have to know how to troubleshoot.  Now if FB had some sort of search function that would be great, but realistically it can't provide the same support as a forum.
Perhaps FPP could log the various names of the hardware and type and throw that in the log.
FPP was rock solid this year. 

Offline sazo

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2016, 09:37:10 PM »
Hi I am not on FB but let me know about this forum. I doesn't speak English and need to use always a translator. This year I used a PI 3 as master and a PI + as a remote control programmed with Xlights. The FPP version 1.9 since all problems existed seem, were always actions that I've caused, as an example change from common sequences over WIFI, bad power supply of PI by bad power supply. To all else there is in this forum reply this should remain so please! Thank you thank you for this software so, with greetings from Germany. 8)

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2016, 01:32:36 PM »
Perhaps FPP could log the various names of the hardware and type and throw that in the log.

I have an item on my ToDo list to gather more helpful debugging info like this in the logs zip.

Offline Phrog30

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2016, 01:41:46 PM »
I thought we were all told to turn logging off because it was one thing causing issues? Has this been resolved in 1.8?

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas Facebook Page
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2016, 02:57:48 PM »
FPP has been very good.  I had more problems in prior years using xlights scheduler, tbh ... and less capabilities than FPP.

I will admit I'm a little confused about the role of the FPPD .... so any time I change things, I reload and restart the fppd ... never rebooted.

Offline boston_waterproofer

• Kudos: 0
  • Doing it for DAD
    • canalefacebook
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2016, 05:43:45 PM »
I love the FPP haven't had any real problems like I did when using laptops running my shows
Ken Canale
CanaleChristmas http://www.canalechristmaslights.com/ https://www.facebook.com/canalechristmaslights/photos  10 LOR1602 , 2 pixlite 16 , 1 AlphaPix 4 4 ECG-P2 , 1 ECG-P12R soon to come falcon F16V3

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2016, 06:47:17 PM »
I thought we were all told to turn logging off because it was one thing causing issues? Has this been resolved in 1.8?

Logging is set to a very low level by default, but we often ask people to turn it up or set it to a specific value so that we can help debug an issue.  Once we get a log zip we ask that the log settings be returned to normal.

The issue is not FPP, it is the USB flash, they aren't really optimized for reading and writing at the same time so logging can kill performance trying to read the sequence and media files from the USB flash.

Offline rlemery

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2016, 09:23:59 PM »
I've been running a mix of BBB'S and pi's.  Pi b+ as master,  3 bbb , 4 Pi's as slaves and 1 dedicated bbb for a double sided tune two. I only use SanDisk ultra sd and SanDisk ultra USB drives. Other than having to restart FPPD once or twice on random remotes  it's been rock solid. The only corruption in had was doing a synce all command with compression. Reformatted card as all was good. I just started moving files one at a time. Running close to 70k in channels.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

728 lor channels
5492 pixels

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 09:21:48 AM »
I think that the v2.0 SD images will include the watchdog script by default in case there are issues. 
Last two years I used FPP with no issues (well, I did get corruption a few times by doing power-off without shutdown but that was my own fault).
This year I have been getting repeated FPPD stopped issues with V1.9-xxxxx.  Now I run the watchdog script and I have not witnesses an FPPD stop again.  I'm assuming the FPPD stops still happen and the watchdog is restarting as it should.

I know writing too many logs can cause other issues, but if you include the watchdog as part of the production release, can it get its own log file with timestamp so we can see if/when it detects a stopped FPPD and restarts it?

Note, I know there is FPPD_start.log but that shows all FPPD starts which could be normal bootups or me intentionally restarting FPPD due to scheduler changes or other settings. Its hard to scan that and determine which entries are "normal" starts and which are "watchdog" restarts after unexpected failure.  I'd like to be able to see how many restarts are due to the watchdog process itself.

BTW, when I've had the random FPPD stops, I don't see anything in the FPPD_stop.log.  i.e. it appears to die with no last gasp to the log.
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Offline taybrynn

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 09:42:06 AM »
The corruption this is my only real worry.   I had having to spend $40 for a cheap UPS for a Rasberry Pi I paid only $29 for.  I would love to either fix that or find some really inexpensive way to back up a PI ... beside buying a UPS for it.  Is there any how-to on how to backup the FPP so it would be easiest to restore if you did get corruption?   Is it just backing up the SD card to another?

Offline Aaron Maue

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 10:03:20 AM »
The corruption this is my only real worry.   I had having to spend $40 for a cheap UPS for a Rasberry Pi I paid only $29 for.  I would love to either fix that or find some really inexpensive way to back up a PI ... beside buying a UPS for it.  Is there any how-to on how to backup the FPP so it would be easiest to restore if you did get corruption?   Is it just backing up the SD card to another?

I use dotnet disk imager to create an image of the microSD card in advance. If the card corrupts, I can just swap it with my backup.

Here's where to get the software: https://sourceforge.net/projects/dotnetdiskimager/

I tried win32 disk imager, but couldn't get it to work. Seems like it would miss one or more of the card's partitions. YMMV

Offline taybrynn

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2016, 10:06:51 AM »
Thank you , I will try that !!

Wow, thats some confusing software.

How would I do this after the fact?

Shutdown FPP, Pull the micro sd card ... copy to a new folder, then make a zip file of it?

It supports zip files, or their own image types ... confused by how to create this image.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:18:09 AM by taybrynn »