Author Topic: Install FPP on a non Raspberry Pi board  (Read 5767 times)

Offline cpwtech

• Kudos: 0
Install FPP on a non Raspberry Pi board
« on: December 31, 2016, 07:41:15 PM »
I know this may have been asked before but I can't find an answer on the forums, but has anyone had success with installing FPP to any non Raspberry SBCs? Like an OrangePI PC? I have ordered one and was thinking of trying to get FPP to install on it.  If it does, then $16.99 is a whole heck of a lot cheaper than $35 for the Raspberry PI. 

The OrangePI's GPIO's are compatible with the RBP's, and all the documentation says it can run Raspbian.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 138
Re: Install FPP on a non Raspberry Pi board
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 10:16:26 PM »
If WiringPi has been ported to the OrangePi then you should be able to use FPP on it with GPIO.  If you can't get WiringPi running then the Makefile will have to be modified to not try to use WiringPi on the OrangePi.

FPP has been tested on Raspbian, Debian, and Fedora.  I do most of my development on a Fedora 24 desktop and then test on a Pi and BBB.  I believe Pat and Ben have also run FPP on Debian in a x86 VM.

If you want to install yourself, search the forums for "FPP_Install.sh" and you'll find lots of posts on using this script to install FPP on a stock Raspbian/Debian system.  This script will install all the needed packages and setup the setup to run FPP.  It will take over the system though, it is the script we use to install FPP to build the FPP SD images we distribute.
-
Chris

Offline cpwtech

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 03:19:08 AM »
Thanks for the info Capt.  I will come back here and let everyone know how I make out.

Offline arw01

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 10:19:19 AM »
I was curious on the more expensive OrangePi with the 4 USB ports, that seemed it would solve a lot of hub issues and having gigabit ethernet a plus too.  Starting to see the effects on my home network as I get to just 25K channels, if I stuck some P10 panels out there and add some more Boscoyo items could leap into the 50K range.

Offline cpwtech

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 07:00:21 PM »
Well Capt.  I got it installed but am having a problem with fppd not wanting to run.  Any suggestions?

Offline cpwtech

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 06:53:38 AM »
I may have it figured out. I will have to test my idea this evening when I get home. Have to modify the install script a little bit to pick up the Orange Pi version of WiringPi.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

Offline cpwtech

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 08:11:11 PM »
Ok, now I am lost.  I have looked at the fppd log and by what I see it whould be running like a champ, but the main status page shows it as stopped.  I have attached the logs so may if some feels like giving a helping hand they can.

Offline Materdaddy

• Kudos: 8
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 12:01:27 AM »
From the log it looks like it's started, so since you're running a non-standard build, you're going to have to start digging in.

I see the first couple lines of the fppd.log that shows it starting.  It looks fairly normal for the "stock" log levels, so turn everything up as verbose as possible.  Navigate to FPP Settings and change the level to Excessive and the mask to All and try again.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, run "ps aux | grep fppd" from the command line to see if it's running, and maybe the web interface detection simply isn't working right.

If it's not running, your next best bet will be trying to run it by hand.  Something along the lines of the following should do the trick:
Code: [Select]
$ cd /opt/fpp/src
$ sudo ./fppd.sh --log-level excessive --log-mask all --foreground

This will log all output to the command line for you to get a little more information.

Offline cpwtech

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 04:25:16 AM »
Well Materdaddy, I ran the "ps aux | grep fppd" command and it does show that it is running.  I am just waiting for my rpi to do it update and I will start testing to see if I can get connectivity between the two.

Offline Materdaddy

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 02:46:55 PM »
Ok, so if it's running, but not showing that it's running it's breaking down somewhere between your browser and the script that checks.  I think it uses a mix of "ps" to see that it's running, and then runs "fpp" (not fppd) to get the status.  First thing I'd try is using the javascript console in your browser to see what's going on.  Every second it should be talking with FPP to get the status, if you don't see that happening, something is wrong with your browser, or the javascript being sent by FPP or something like that.  If it is being send, then you should start look at running "fpp" (not fppd) on the system by hand, see if that's working.

Your nginx logs show a lot of "/fppjson.php?command=getFPPstatus" with a 200 code, so I think it's more on the FPP side of things rather than the browser.

Offline Materdaddy

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 02:48:12 PM »
I also just realized you're using the "master" branch.  Depending on the revision (I'll look later) it's probably broken.  What does your UI look like?  Are you running the new v2 UI code that is possibly broken?

See: http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,6899.0.html

Offline cpwtech

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »
I will have to see, when I get into my "mad scientist's lair",as my wife calls it. Think I might just build a custom image for it. Having to start out with Armbian and let the script whittle it down

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

Offline cpwtech

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 05:53:33 AM »
Hmmmmm, I just found something out that is kinda strange.  The OrangePi version is not allowing me to ping anything and tells me that "ping: icmp open socket: Operation not permitted" .  Now that would cause problems finding out FPP's out there to sync with.

Offline Materdaddy

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 08:59:20 AM »
This command should fix it for you:
sudo chmod u+s $(which ping)
The bigger question is why suid permissions weren't set on ping in the first place.

Offline ThreeSizes

• Developer
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 10:01:36 AM »
This command should fix it for you:
sudo chmod u+s $(which ping)
The bigger question is why suid permissions weren't set on ping in the first place.

This is also required on the BBB if you look in upgrade/22/upgrade.sh in the FPP. Probably a failure during O/S install.

"And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day."