Author Topic: Brainstorming 2017 - What do we need?  (Read 2398 times)

Offline rstehle

• Kudos: -1
Re: Brainstorming 2017 - What do we need?
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2017, 05:12:25 PM »
The main issue I have found with Pigtails is on the Female end.  On a few of them, the conductor (round metal piece in the hole) is too far down in the plastic and does not make contact with the male prong when they are screwed together.  I had some from Ray like that early on, but his QC has gotten better over time.  Now I look them all over before starting any assembly and have had no unexpected problems.  I have only ever had one that just did not have continuity on one of the conductors.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 06:25:51 PM »

On the uSSC or SSC thing would like something that could extend their life a bit more.  Ease of reprogramming them would be fabulous, like hang them off a board from the F16V3 and it could reprogram any of them without needing to know what their channel was ahead of time etc..

I think this is one thing alot of us are going back to, we love the uSC/SSC and why we can't get rid of them but also love the ease of use from the F16V2.  I know that was the part that took the longest for me, then again I create my problem moving stuff around :)

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 3
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 07:23:08 PM »
Since I test all my pigtails, would love a little board with leds that would let me plug in a pigtail use some clips to hit the wires and find out in a few seconds if my pigtail is good or not.

I quit buying pigtails and just buy 5' extension cables now and cut them to length.  Since I always need a male/female pair, this gives me both and I can use any length I want.  Plus, it makes them real easy to test both ends at once.  I can string 5-6 of the extension cables together at once and test them all.  If it passes, they're all good, if it fails, then I troubleshoot more to figure out which one of the group is bad.  It might be nice to have a test board like this with multiple sets of pads/holes, one for attaching pigtails for testing extension cords and another for attaching alligator clips for testing half of a pigtail.

You're using standard AC extension cords for your low-voltage LEDs?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 37
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 07:35:53 PM »
No, he is talking about the waterproof extensions that come in 5', 10', 15', and 20' lengths.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA
Lynx, Falcon, XL, FPP

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2017, 02:25:17 PM »
I saw post over at DIYXmas.org for a $50 8 port pixel controller and it got me thinking.  How about a stripped down low channel count per port controller designed for us guys doing port per prop.   $30-$40 for 8 ports 256 or less channels per port.  No outputs or other stuff. 
Sam

Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline Gary

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 3
    • Diamond Crescent Musical Christmas Lights
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2017, 01:24:53 AM »
I saw post over at DIYXmas.org for a $50 8 port pixel controller and it got me thinking.  How about a stripped down low channel count per port controller designed for us guys doing port per prop.   $30-$40 for 8 ports 256 or less channels per port.  No outputs or other stuff.

A basic controller with limited channels per port and a low cost per port? Sounds like something along the lines of the F16-V1, LOL!

I'm with you... I like a simplified equipment and prop setup without needing external power injection, etc. The only power injection in my display is built into one prop where I have the power coming in on both ends of string "just in case" to ensure a nice pure white star on top.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2017, 10:45:50 AM »
There is talk on another forum of a pixel data splitter.  There are references to the ssc and uSC in it and that made me think how about a falcon one?  Hopefully the same programming utility could just be updated for these.  I

A snip form another thread where we are talking about these.  SNIP
Still working out the details but I think there will be some rudimentary channel assignment/pixel spread via dipswitch or simple programming (like Tbone says SSC) so they will not have same channels.  To me, these are perfect for a guy like me running 1 prop per port that would like to scale back a bit where I could send 1 port of F16 programmed for 200 pixels to a 4 "branch" (as they are calling it) splitter and then set each branch for 50 pixels (150 channels).  Power distro in same case...  I gain 3 ports back.  I could do this a few more times and next thing you know I have a few unused controllers.  Basically perfect for like Cap'n talks with banks of same type props.  I think you could even do a mega tree too.  Caveat would be same type pixel I think but probably can worked around in software if need be.  Apparently these are pretty dang cheap to make too!

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2017, 05:24:49 PM »
Ok something that came up for me that may be handy.  A wire tester a lot like a cat5 tester where you have a sender/receiver with each side having leds (1,2,3,4).  Instead of plugging in a cat5 connection you could use the 4 pin euro style connectors like on the F16V2 so you can test longer cables using the euro connectors/3/4 core pigtails.   I actually have some cat5 ran through my attic for some of my house lines and I'm switching from uSC/SSC combo to a F16V2 so I'm removing the cat5 ends to 3/4 core pigtails but would still like to make sure I've got both ends soldered up correctly before applying power :).  Blew a couple fuses last year for my hand made cables with 3 cores on one end, just something for piece of mind.

Offline twooly

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2017, 01:23:07 PM »
Another thing I was thinking about to make some wiring simple (at least for me in a few places).

A device that can split a pixel signal off to two (or more if we needed) strings from a single controller output.  This would eliminate the need for daisy chaining from one element to the next just to get the most out of that single output.

For example I have my roof line and based on my controller location (middle), it would be nice to just run one line from the controller to the strings but then split off going the right direction for say 75 pixels and then go the left direction 75 pixels.  The device could say right is x pixels, left is x pixels.  Without this it looks like Ill be using two outputs one left, one right (short 5 foot cables) vs one long 50 foot cable to control the whole string.